Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
FWIW: In my post above, I meant to be referring to modular homes (rather than manufactured homes, on a trailer frame) as being to some form of building code. The one I linked for sale for nowhereman, I think, is likely to be a modular home, if not stick built. The garage is stick-built, per the photos in the property record. But, anyone would have to examine the house to be sure.

Having started my ownership life in 1974 in a manufactured home (14'x60' mobile home), I can attest to the 'quite' flimsy nature of things! Modular homes are a different animal, being somewhat of a production line version of stick-building.
What's the difference?
Is this a problem unique to Wyoming with no building codes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM

322 posts, read 587,493 times
The State of Wyoming has adopted the 2018 International Building Code and all of its associated parts [International Residential Code, International Existing Building Code, etc.], as amended by the State.

This set of codes governs the entire State, except for those County and Municipal jurisdictions where the State has granted "Home Rule". Areas with home rule may amend these codes to make them stricter, but not more lenient. The State sets the minimum baseline.

An example of an amendment at the State level is negating the requirement for sprinklers in all new residential construction. An example of a Home Rule amendment would be to put that requirement back in [although I am not aware of this happening anywhere in WY]

Just because there may not be any enforcement authority in some areas of the State does not mean that the codes are not in force. Someone from the State could always show up!

Old 04-02-2019, 02:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
The State of Wyoming has adopted the 2018 International Building Code and all of its associated parts [International Residential Code, International Existing Building Code, etc.], as amended by the State.

This set of codes governs the entire State, except for those County and Municipal jurisdictions where the State has granted "Home Rule". Areas with home rule may amend these codes to make them stricter, but not more lenient. The State sets the minimum baseline.

An example of an amendment at the State level is negating the requirement for sprinklers in all new residential construction. An example of a Home Rule amendment would be to put that requirement back in [although I am not aware of this happening anywhere in WY]

Just because there may not be any enforcement authority in some areas of the State does not mean that the codes are not in force. Someone from the State could always show up!
the adoption of a state wide building code is a recent development.

Many existing residences were in place long before the codes were adopted and were not built to any particular code except what the owner thought he'd like to have. Mobiles, modulars, factory built can all have been built to much lesser code standards and then the additions/remodels were done without any intentional code compliance/inspections. At that, I've seen a fair number of older site stick site built houses which don't conform to plumbing, electrical, structural, roofing, or any other standards. Not uncommon, for example, to see a bathroom adjacent to the kitchen area and sharing common plumbing in a wall … such as the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink and/toilet. (I saw such a house in Saratoga a few weeks ago, the plumbing was all along a common wall. The bathroom was so narrow that you'd get calloused elbows walking to the toilet, with almost no room to occupy the toilet with the end wall adjacent.)

Indeed, a lot of structure standards here were predicated on what the owner could afford at the local supply house for materials.

Due diligence on the part of a buyer is essential to know what they're buying.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:58 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,961 times
Quote:

Thank you for this info.. it stimulated me to look further. Below, I'll refer to single family residential construction, which I think is the topic here.

I can see where the WY Fire Marshal appears to have adopted 2017 NEC and 2018 IBC sections for electrical, fire and life safety, as well as mechanical and gas codes. Those codes are not residential building codes per se, and adoption of those codes does not invoke the full International Residential Code, only the parts of the IRC as they relate to fire and life safety. See here: Codes and Standards - Wyoming Department of Fire Prevention and Electrical Safety

I also think WY has adopted these codes for public works, but, again, that is not for residential construction. The matter of sprinklers in residential construction (and the WY deletion of the requirements in residential construction), once again, does not invoke the whole IRC.

The enforcement for fire and life safety would be the local Fire Marshal's offices if they exist for the municipality, or the state Fire Marshal's office. I don't believe there are any state level authorities that would come around to inspect for gas, mechanical, or electrical work in a residential project.. that would be interesting to find out if there are. There does not look to be any statewide adoption of the plumbing codes, but I just glanced at that info....

I am honestly not being contrary but have not yet found info indicating that WY has a full statewide building code for residential construction. I'd appreciate a reference (like state statute) if there is a statewide residential code... I'd honestly like to know!

Last edited by nm9stheham; 04-03-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What's the difference?
Is this a problem unique to Wyoming with no building codes?
Modular is basically a wood framed type of construction that is transported to a site on a flatbed trailer in modules, which are lifted and placed on a foundation. 'Manufactured' is basically what you would think of as a mobile home, single- or double-wide, on a steel frame with axles. Modular tends to be a lot sturdier construction.

No codes is a 'feature' of some rural counties in the region! Granite County MT and Custer County ID are 2 that I know of so it is not a WY 'thing'. Also, the rural (unincorporated) areas of Park County appear to not have any residential code... Cody has adopted a residential code.

But see the above discussion on residential codes; there seems to be some confusion there... could be mine!

Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 AM

https://www.iccsafe.org/about-icc/go...s/map/wyoming/

Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times

I think more than likely I want a newer home 2005 and up.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you, I saw that before, but that clearly indicates that it is not adoption of the full IRC. It states "Provisions of the IRC and IPMC are also adopted by reference to the extent that those codes are referenced in the IBC, IFC, IMC and IFGC and contain fire and life-safety provisions." (Italics and bold are mine.)

So this says that ONLY the fire and life safety portions of the IRC are adopted statewide and enforced by the Fire Marshall's office (or local inspectors if there are such). Fire and life safety would have to do with fire blocking, egress in case of fire (like no basement bedrooms without a direct escape route to the outside, like a window), electrical, firerock in garages, and so on.

The IRC has many, many more provisions that deal with matters other than fire and safety: Foundations, structure, lumber sizing for loads, roofing, sheathing, nailing schedules, when handrails are required, and so on. As far as I can find so far, none of these are adopted on a statewide basis in WY.

That does not mean that WY homes in general are bad or unsafe, but a few things have struck me as unusual. Example: I have noticed the lack of handrails in some homes where common sense (and the IRC) would say should be there. As a self-builder type, it is nice to not have to fret over inspections, but I usually go by the codes anyway.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM

although there are exceptions, there are actually not many things that don't pertain to fire/life safety - that is the primary purpose of the codes - for instance; stairways/handrails/guards, especially those on a egress route, fall under life safety; and everything is subject to interpretation by the code enforcement entity having jurisdiction - my advice; do not do any residential construction that does not meet IRC without written acknowledgement that it is not subject to the code

does anyone have any experience with insurance claims being rejected because of construction not meeting codes in force at the time of construction?

Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM

I will sincerely apologize for disagreeing, but most of the IRC is not concerned with matters that are defined as life safety. (JUst run through the IRC table of contents...) 'Life safety' is concerned with fire safety (which is why the Fire Marshal's office supervises it), not other safety issues, like the house too easily pulling part in a tornado, or a deck pulling away and collapsing. Residential fire safety concerns electrical, gas, some aspects of the structure and materials, and some aspects of ingress/egress.

And safety is just one purpose of codes; another major purpose for codes is for building structures that hold value, so the buyers don't get hosed, and have their new houses fall down or need frequent repairs. Welfare, safety, and value are the 3 main things that drive codes, as well professional licensing.

The main point to be clear upon is that there does not appear (to me) to be any universal statewide residential building code in WY. I just want folks to be aware of that. (But HONESTLY, I DON'T WANT TO BE WRONG AND MISLEAD OTHERS, SO PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!) My present state (VA) HAS adopted both building and residential codes on a statewide basis so anyone coming from there to the rural Rockies might get a surprise....

If you do build in a WY area where there is a code and inspections, then your advice is 100% spot on! If you live in a rural area with no adopted code or no inspectors, then NO ONE is going to sign off on anything saying you are exempt from a code on this or that. Your or the builder have to figure that out. I would surely quiz the builder on how he approaches such matters, and be aware of this when buying an existing home. Which is how this subject all got started!

IMHO, your last question is an interesting one! I have 0 answers for you there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming