Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 05:38 PM

164 posts, read 80,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah I like Clean+Vibrant+Not Sterile+Walkable+Modern cities that offer good public transportation and quality services.

That's why I like Chicago and Boston over NYC and Philadelphia.

But yeah, I need to check out Singapore some time...
You might like Singapore, though the sterile almost airport lounge like feeling of the city could leave you tired after a while.

But if you value efficient, everything running on time, ultra tidy then it might be down your alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 09:09 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
You might like Singapore, though the sterile almost airport lounge like feeling of the city could leave you tired after a while.

But if you value efficient, everything running on time, ultra tidy then it might be down your alley.
Ueah sterile is where i really start nicking points.

On time is a must. Living in NYC taught me nothing will ever be on time there and it was a struggle to do anything.

Im definitely eager to explore Singapore. But the cost and strict laws are my only turn off.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Ueah sterile is where i really start nicking points.

On time is a must. Living in NYC taught me nothing will ever be on time there and it was a struggle to do anything.

Im definitely eager to explore Singapore. But the cost and strict laws are my only turn off.
If you value organized clean cities with excellent infrastructure but that are not overrun with rules, then you should consider Madrid Spain.

Madrid has EXCELLENT metro (13 lines, most lines per capita than other EU city) that literally connects you to every single part of the city. Madrid is full of bars, local food places, museums, nightlife that can hardly be matched by other cities, it has an international crowd but still manages to be very Southern European, and it's on the cheap side considering how much there is to do in the city.

It's big enough you can feel you're in a thriving urban environment, but small enough you won't feel lost in an urban jungle.

Unlike it's other southern European counterparts (Rome, Athens, Belgrade) MAdrid is colorful and fun, without being a mess (sorry Rome).

Plus, as an American, Spain will be comfortable culturally closer to home unlike Singapore, but different enough to keep you interested.

I would also recommend you Vienna (I live in Austria), the only issue in Vienna is boredom. It is a beautiful city but it can become repetitive borderline soulless (it's got that German thing only cities where German is spoken have -- Not sure how to define it, but it's like this ultra-tidy sanitized ambiance). Budapest could also be down your alley. (Though is behind in infrastructure compared to Madrid and Vienna)

Old 08-11-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If you value organized clean cities with excellent infrastructure but that are not overrun with rules, then you should consider Madrid Spain.

Madrid has EXCELLENT metro (13 lines, most lines per capita than other EU city) that literally connects you to every single part of the city. Madrid is full of bars, local food places, museums, nightlife that can hardly be matched by other cities, it has an international crowd but still manages to be very Southern European, and it's on the cheap side considering how much there is to do in the city.

It's big enough you can feel you're in a thriving urban environment, but small enough you won't feel lost in an urban jungle.

Unlike it's other southern European counterparts (Rome, Athens, Belgrade) MAdrid is colorful and fun, without being a mess (sorry Rome).

Plus, as an American, Spain will be comfortable culturally closer to home unlike Singapore, but different enough to keep you interested.

I would also recommend you Vienna (I live in Austria), the only issue in Vienna is boredom. It is a beautiful city but it can become repetitive borderline soulless (it's got that German thing only cities where German is spoken have -- Not sure how to define it, but it's like this ultra-tidy sanitized ambiance). Budapest could also be down your alley. (Though is behind in infrastructure compared to Madrid and Vienna)
Yeah, I just spent a few weeks there last month, actually. I love Madrid.

My top three cities so far are Lisbon, Munich and Berlin in Europe. Madrid would be in the top 10 with others like Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam and Dublin.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I just spent a few weeks there last month, actually. I love Madrid.

My top three cities so far are Lisbon, Munich and Berlin in Europe. Madrid would be in the top 10 with others like Hamburg, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam and Dublin.
Lisbon is a jewel. Berlin is fun. Munich I dont like too much (I find boring/expensive and bavarians too fat and not very friendly) hahaahahah

however know here in Austria we will never have an unbias view of Bavaerians.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Lisbon is a jewel. Berlin is fun. Munich I dont like too much (I find boring/expensive and bavarians too fat and not very friendly) hahaahahah

however know here in Austria we will never have an unbias view of Bavaerians.
I like Bavaria. Expensive, but in all practicality.. Munich's cost of living is similar to Philadelphia's. Which in the US, is a cheaper large city. Especially when compared to Alpha World-Class cities like New York, San Francisco, Boston, LA and Chicago. If the wages in Munich are good, I would contemplate a move in the future.

Im also pissed that COVID were to bring daily flights from Boston to Vienna on OS. Too bad.. maybe 2022.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:11 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I think Singapore is the perfect city except for the big issue of the climate, which I loathe. I think the food is the best in the world, everything is super efficient. However, it has become very expensive.

Yea, the climate can be really tough during the daytime and that's throughout the year. It probably contributes a lot to how mall-oriented Singapore and much of Southeast Asia is. I do love the food.

Quote:

If we're going with non-Anglophone cities, then I would throw in Taipei which is fantastic and is still pretty navigable for an English speaker. Its architecture isn't grand at all, but there's something about the sort of ramshackle build up of balconies and subtropical flora coming out all over concrete structures on the small side streets which can be charming (look at these trees!). Its mass transit system is massive and efficient for the city of its size. The cost of meals, street snacks, a night out, etc. is wonderfully low. There's a good deal of nightlife, but not just nightlife in the sense of bars and clubs, but also things for all ages like abundant eateries, the night markets, the plethora of convenience stores that do a host of things (mail packages, copy machines/fax, etc.), indoor shrimping, bookstores, etc., and a night out where you're going home at 4 or 5 am means you can see some of the elderly coming out to do their morning exercises in the parks and all while being incredibly safe and somehow not just blaring in noise and mired in litter.

For other things to do outside of nightlife, much of the Imperial Chinese art collection absconded with the KMT to Taiwan and so the collection at the National Palace Museum is pretty fantastic and meanwhile there's a pretty healthy local arts and music scene along with traditional arts like Taiwanese folk puppetry. Within city limits and easily accessible by mass transit there are mountain hikes with mountain tea houses and hot spring public bathhouses. Just going around to different markets by itself could be pretty fun as they're just bustling with life and wandering the side streets have you coming across a lot of random shops and services. Along with things to do in the city proper, there's also plentiful and frequent rail service that can take you out of the city to explore the rest of the island. It's also pretty accessible to a host of other cities by plane. Just an all around great place to be.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-11-2021 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What that Marc......

Irene won't fool the children of the revolution
No, Irene won't fool the children of the revolution
No, Irene won't fool the children of the revolution
No, Irene won't fool the children of the revolution, no way, yeah, wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgcxd9wtXUE
I really don't understand why she keeps coming back.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:14 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I voted London.

Architecture: 1) London 2) New York City (I greatly enjoy the latter two also, it's just there's a gap present)
People/Diversity: London/New York City/Toronto probably tied here
Food: New York and London very strong here
Nightlife: New York City
Standard/Quality of Living: Depends
Economy: New York City
Politics: Unsure
Climate and Environment: Climate Sydney, Environment, probably also Sydney?
Education: London
Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance): London and New York roughly tied
Infrastructure and Transportation: London
Surroundings: London
Fashion: London
Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports: Few different questions. Literary, London. Cinematic/Televisual, New York.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:41 AM

496 posts, read 350,674 times
I love all of the four cities!!! But if I have to pick:

Architecture: NYC
People/Diversity: NYC
Food: NYC and then Sydney
Nightlife: NYC
Quality of living: Sydney
Economy: NYC
Politics: Sydney
Climate: Sydney
Education: NYC
Entertainment: NYC/London
Infrastructure London
Surroundings: Sydney
Fashion: NYC/London
Literacy: NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World