Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 03:46 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
Why can't some British people accept the fact that not everyone enjoys London, and not everyone finds English women attractive, not everyone finds British men handsome, not everyone enjoys British culture, not everyone wants to be in the UK, not everyone is rooting for Britain, not everyone finds the UK exciting.

In fact, most people outside the UK are indifferent towards the UK. But that applies to the entire world, people are generally indifferent towards other countries and not everyone enjoys the same things.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but to you and Easthome is unfathomable that some forum members might prefer other things versus the UK.
Nobody has said anything regarding this, as for London it's very multi-cultural as pointed out in the food videos.

Furthermore the culture I have just posted wasn't exactly home grown.

If you don't find certain races or people attractive and make derogatory posts in this respect, then that sadly says a lot about you as a person.

Then again you just can't stop yourself when it comes to nasty trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 604 times
I support you

Old 08-07-2021, 03:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
Why can't you seem to accept the fact that not everyone enjoys London?
Anybody that claims 'I don't find British women attractive', or women from anywhere for that matter is obviously just trolling, it is a REALLY REALLY stupid thing to say for reasons that are obvious to anybody with half a braincell, are we seriously supposed to take claims like that seriously!?

Old 08-07-2021, 04:15 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
Agree with you about London. I am really surprised about how helpful people are, maybe because there’s a stereotype that London is a cold and an unfriendly city, but I have found very lovely and helpful people. There’s also the stereotype about London having bad food but that’s not the case. I still prefer Chinese and south East Asian food in Sydney but London does pretty well for Turkish and Caribbean food (something I rarely saw in Sydney). Indian food is also great here, and there are lots of American chain brands that you don’t find in Australia such as five guys, shake shack, etc.
What I liked in London was the French food, which is not really that common here. The Italian food there is good too. Asian food is good in Sydney; daughter just reported her five year old struggled tonight with their Indian takeaway but he loves Japanese.

I would love to go back to London. As we are trapped in our fortress here, I fear I will be too old before we can get there again. Not likely to be let out any time soon. To be honest, we have been to New York four times and twice to Toronto and much as we enjoyed both, that is sufficient.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:59 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Couple of good Korean shops in London -

Oseyo a UK Korean retail chain, this one id on Charing Cross Road in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofboN5xLWKU

H Mart in New Malden in London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HyLveDC2Qw

There are several large Chinese supermarkets in London including the impressive new Tian Tian Market at Aldgate in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdUoNhwPWc

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-07-2021 at 05:19 AM..

Old 08-07-2021, 05:40 AM

90 posts, read 67,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
What I liked in London was the French food, which is not really that common here. The Italian food there is good too. Asian food is good in Sydney; daughter just reported her five year old struggled tonight with their Indian takeaway but he loves Japanese.

I would love to go back to London. As we are trapped in our fortress here, I fear I will be too old before we can get there again. Not likely to be let out any time soon. To be honest, we have been to New York four times and twice to Toronto and much as we enjoyed both, that is sufficient.
Reading the news about whats happening in Sydney makes me sad. It would have been completely avoided if the federal government had acquired more Pfizer and moderna vaccines but that’s another topic. I left Sydney in December and got rejected when I applied for my exemption. It was approved the next time. I’m fortunate to be in London, I went last night for my first time to a show in West End and it was amazing. The city also encourages u to do so many cultural things, something that I never did in Sydney. The art and cultural scene in London is unparalleled, I guess maybe NYC offers the same? But I actually don’t like NYC at all. Japanese food is amazing in Sydney and unfortunately it’s so expensive in London. A good ramen here would cost twice than in Sydney. I miss also the sushi places that you find anywhere in Sydney. Here it’s more like a luxury lol. I haven’t been able to find sticky mango rice, and Thai food is also very expensive. Another thing I notice it’s that fried chicken here is so popular and doesn’t taste good :/.

With more people vaccinated and controls we will be able to travel safely. The Australian government is already talking about the vaccine digital passports for people be able to travel.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:43 AM

910 posts, read 366,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

I say that about every place I've ever been to, with the exception of cities I have friends and family. Same thing with Sydney, saw it once, no need to go back. I have been to London a few times, but I would need a reason to go back in the future. The main reason I continue to travel from my home in Southern California to Toronto, is because of family. Actually Toronto has more things that I'm interested in, than does Sydney. I'm a huge sports fan, so I will always take in a Maple Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, or Argonauts game while in Toronto. I really don't have any interest in Sydney sports. I'm also a big fan of live theatre, and again Toronto shines over Sydney. Not interested in going to the beach, because I live near Laguna Beach, and that satisfies all my beach needs.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:41 AM

90 posts, read 67,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I say that about every place I've ever been to, with the exception of cities I have friends and family. Same thing with Sydney, saw it once, no need to go back. I have been to London a few times, but I would need a reason to go back in the future. The main reason I continue to travel from my home in Southern California to Toronto, is because of family. Actually Toronto has more things that I'm interested in, than does Sydney. I'm a huge sports fan, so I will always take in a Maple Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, or Argonauts game while in Toronto. I really don't have any interest in Sydney sports. I'm also a big fan of live theatre, and again Toronto shines over Sydney. Not interested in going to the beach, because I live near Laguna Beach, and that satisfies all my beach needs.
Yeah, that’s personal. I personally was so bored in Toronto. I didn’t find anything interesting, especially coming from Montreal. The main tourist attraction is a soulless tower that it’s actually ugly in person. Then the rest you can find in any major city! Also it seems that city wants so hard to be like NYC but fails! The Times Square wannabe version is rather disappointing . You mention live theatre but it’s nothing compared to NYC or London. I don’t think people travel to Sydney from other parts of the world to see sports or live theatre. But Melbourne actually has the tennis open, the formula grand pix, the rip curl surfing and the Melbourne cup. What does Toronto have on a global scale?. Sydney is a great city to explore the beaches, see two world heritages such as the Opera House and the Blue Mountain, see some cool aussie animals at Taronga Zoo, take the manly ferry and appreciate the stunning harbour bridge. Sydney also has cool events such as the Sydney festival, the harbour regatta, Vivid, sculpture by the sea, etc. LA beaches are disgusting compared to Sydney’s beaches

Old 08-07-2021, 11:15 AM

910 posts, read 366,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
Yeah, that’s personal. I personally was so bored in Toronto. I didn’t find anything interesting, especially coming from Montreal. The main tourist attraction is a soulless tower that it’s actually ugly in person. Then the rest you can find in any major city! Also it seems that city wants so hard to be like NYC but fails! The Times Square wannabe version is rather disappointing . You mention live theatre but it’s nothing compared to NYC or London. I don’t think people travel to Sydney from other parts of the world to see sports or live theatre. But Melbourne actually has the tennis open, the formula grand pix, the rip curl surfing and the Melbourne cup. What does Toronto have on a global scale?. Sydney is a great city to explore the beaches, see two world heritages such as the Opera House and the Blue Mountain, see some cool aussie animals at Taronga Zoo, take the manly ferry and appreciate the stunning harbour bridge. Sydney also has cool events such as the Sydney festival, the harbour regatta, Vivid, sculpture by the sea, etc. LA beaches are disgusting compared to Sydney’s beaches
You are missing my point! Yes I enjoyed Sydney, but once you see the Harbor Bridge and Sydney Opera House, and the other points of interest, there is no need to go back, been there done that. By the way the Blue Mountains are more like hills, compared to the breathtaking, spectacular mountains we have in the Los Angeles area. I live near Laguna Beach, and it is far more beautiful than any beach I saw in Sydney. Toronto does have a couple of unique things to see, such as The Scarborough Bluffs, Casa Loma, Toronto Islands, and the Hockey Hall of Fame are all unique to Toronto. Also I'm never bored with any place that I've ever been, you must be a very boring person!

Last edited by vindag; 08-07-2021 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2021, 03:40 PM

164 posts, read 80,901 times
This post is probably going to get me enemies on this forum, but this is what I think:

Sydney is ok for about three days, once you see the opera house, and the harbor, bondi beach you kind of run out of things to see/do. I mean there are places to do things but it is not quite unique and you can find these things elsewhere.

Toronto is less impressive than Sydney. Toronto is flat like a pancake, the lake is aight but nothing that will blow you away. The highlight is the tower which is nothing to fall over backwards, you also have some nice spots here and there but quickly toronto turns into yet another north American city with that monotonous grid and zoning that make the city kind of steryle.

London is ok, the thing about London is that I often feel London tries too hard to be cool, unique, eclectic. London is like that person that is continuously trying to be cool, and it tries so hard that it comes across as cheesy.
A lot of the main attractions are downright overpriced tourist traps and the British are very good at mystifying places, like the Zebra line crossed by the Beatles 55 years ago, the King's jewels, tower of london, or the Madame Tussaud wax figure museum. They also have god awful cheesy crap like explore the streets where Jack the ripper killed its victims 150 years ago, to me it's largely artificial.

I know I am going to be called a troll by easthome and the other English man, but having 3 or 4 michelin restaurants hardly make London a gastronomical haven! Gastronomical havens are places with enormous local culinary scenes full of markets where you can try amazing local food. (Tokyo, Osaka, Bangkok, Mexico city, Madrid, Marrakesh) Those are gastronomical havens. London is curry take outs, fast food from the US, and a random ethnic restaurant that might or might not be good.

Sorry boys, but I am not getting out of my way to go to London.

I mean, when London gets a local cuisine (like Mexico city, Osaka, or Bangkok) have, then call yourself a gastronomical paradise. Other than that, having tons of rastaurants and take aways in immigrant communities does not make you a gourmet town.

Why do I like NYC?
Because it's rough, blue collar, it doesn't have to try (unlike London) to shock you or to amuse you.

A ride into Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and you are in a unique universe with craploads of ethnic places and neighborhoods that no one knows about but that offer unique stuff. In Queens for a couple of bucks you can have a feast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World