Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:21 PM

49 posts, read 41,917 times

Advertisements

Battle of the Anglophone cities!

Which one wins for you? State your preference, rank them if you'd like, and leave an explanation as to why, comparing and contrasting, etc...

Some categories to consider:

Architecture
People/Diversity
Food
Nightlife
Standard/Quality of Living
Economy
Politics
Climate and Environment
Education
Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance)
Infrastructure and Transportation
Surroundings
Fashion
Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 11:08 PM

569 posts, read 507,333 times
Architecture : London
People/Diversity London
Food : Sydney
Nightlife: London
Quality of living Sydney
Economy London
Politics Sydney
Climate Sydney
Education London
Entertainment London / NYC
Infrastructure London
Surroundings Sydney
Fashion London / NYC
Literacy NYC

Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 PM

53 posts, read 47,020 times
Architecture: London by a giant margin.

People/Diversity: London.

Food: london

Nightlife : london

Standard/Quality of Living: sydney

Economy sydney, -booming and offers affordability when you look for it

Politics. London

Climate and Environment. Sydney

Education lobson

Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance) london

Infrastructure and Transportation london

Surroundings. Sydney

Fashion. London

Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports NYC

Old 05-02-2020, 11:23 PM

53 posts, read 47,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
People/Diversity London
Quality of living Sydney
Economy London
Politics Sydney
Climate Sydney
Education London
Infrastructure London
Surroundings Sydney
Fashion London / NYC
Literacy NYC
I just realized we voted the exact same way.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:40 AM

49 posts, read 41,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
People/Diversity London
Quality of living Sydney
Economy London
Politics Sydney
Climate Sydney
Education London
Infrastructure London
Surroundings Sydney
Fashion London / NYC
Literacy NYC
You seem pretty anti-NYC, pro-London bias, weirdly enough. But you're that Anti-American guy, I forgot. Go away.

Quote:
Architecture: London by a giant margin.

People/Diversity: London.

Food: london
My response to these answers is two-fold.

1) I don't consider London to have better architecture than New York. It lacks the beautiful Art-Deco, Bauhaus, Modernist skyscrapers and design touches that make New York so impressive, for it's sheer scale and intricacy.

2) Can you explain food and people? I think London is a step below NYC for availability of ethnic cuisines, number of Michelin stars, and presence of ghastly, starchy British pub food, and the people 1) aren't as diverse and 2) are much colder and more arrogant.

But that's what I've heard.

Last edited by bellatrixwand; 05-03-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-04-2020, 07:41 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixwand View Post
You seem pretty anti-NYC, pro-London bias, weirdly enough. But you're that Anti-American guy, I forgot. Go away.

My response to these answers is two-fold.

1) I don't consider London to have better architecture than New York. It lacks the beautiful Art-Deco, Bauhaus, Modernist skyscrapers and design touches that make New York so impressive, for it's sheer scale and intricacy.
London has a lot of beautiful historic streets full of listed buildings, however there is also parts of London that are more modern. London's architecture and for UN Heritage sites are very much a cause of celebration, and with the exception of Paris and some other historic cities it has few rivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixwand
2) Can you explain food and people? I think London is a step below NYC for availability of ethnic cuisines, number of Michelin stars, and presence of ghastly, starchy British pub food, and the people 1) aren't as diverse and 2) are much colder and more arrogant.

But that's what I've heard.
London has diverse cusine, and the steroypes regarding British pub foods are little more than tired outdated nonsense these days.

As for Michelin Stars there is not a big difference between NYC or London, it's Paris and Tokyo that tend to dominate.

This is not taking anuything away from London's sister city NYC, which most Londoners and Brits love, it is merely putting the record straight.

Finally in terms of NY and London, there is still what is known as the NyLon thread linking the two great cities, and despite the ocean both cities remain very close.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-04-2020 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-04-2020, 07:48 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
I think one thing that is overlooked here is London's connections, and the ease of access to other great historic cities such as Paris and areas of London.

The resurgents of sleeper trains in Europe is also a cause for celebration, with the Swedes planning a direct sleeper train to Sweden from London by 2022.

You can reach 124 great European cities you can reach by train from London in a day and more direct trpoutes and sleeper trains will increase this further.

Paris is only two hours from London, whilst Brseels and Lille are even shorter journeys. The South of France in just over four and a half hours, and there are also direct ski trains to the Alps, as well as direct trains to Amsterdam and other European cities, with plans to massvely expand the direct network from Europe and eventually other UK cities.

City Breaks & Weekend Breaks in Europe | Eurostar

London to South of France | Eurostar

Could sleeper trains replace international air travel? - The Conversation

Eurostar is planning to connect London to Spain - Olive Press

SNCF plans London-Bordeaux direct service by 2022 - Business Traveller

Eurostar could launch direct trains from London to Germany - inews

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-04-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-04-2020, 08:13 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
I have never visited Sydney, so going to leave it out of my rankings. Have lived in the other 3 though.

Architecture: 1. London 2. NYC 3. Toronto
People/Diversity: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Food: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Nightlife: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Standard/Quality of Living: 1. Toronto 2. London 3. NYC
Economy: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Politics: 1. London 2. NYC 3. Toronto
Climate and Environment: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Education: K-12: 1. London 2. Toronto 3. NYC; Higher Ed: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance): 1 (Tie): NYC/London 3. Toronto
Infrastructure and Transportation: 1. London 2. NYC 3. Toronto
Surroundings: 1. London 2. NYC 3. Toronto
Fashion: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto
Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports: 1. NYC 2. London 3. Toronto

This really is a battle between NYC and London, Toronto is not in the same class as those cities. The only category that it "wins" is QOL, because it is just the easier city to live in between the three, due to COL and just being a more subdued environment. With that said I would personally live in NYC or London over Toronto, there is no comparison.

Sydney as I mentioned was excluded because I have never visited, tough to rank it along side three cities you know intimately and have spent considerable time in.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:49 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The only category that it "wins" is QOL, because it is just the easier city to live in between the three, due to COL and just being a more subdued environment. With that said I would personally live in NYC or London over Toronto, there is no comparison.
I was just going to chime in that Toronto was getting a bit short-changed in this respect. I'd argue that for the average City-Data person, or the average person in general, the ease of building a nice comfortable life in Toronto is greater than in the other two.

Now, things change a bit if you add Sydney to the mix. It's more similar to Toronto in this respect. I don't know how I'd compare it in terms of COL but in terms of overall QOL it arguably either just squeaks by Toronto or Toronto just squeaks by it. (I'd probably give a slight edge to Sydney though.) Both cities have their advantages but they're often different in nature.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:28 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Architecture: 1. NYC, 2. London, 3. Sydney, 4. Toronto
People/Diversity: 1. NYC, 2. Toronto (Toronto is a very diverse city . . . it has many of the same international ethnic groups as London and NYC, but also indigenous Native American/Canadian First Nation peoples, which is why I rank it above London), 3. London, 4. Sydney
Food: 1. NYC, 2. London, 3. Toronto, 4. Sydney
Nightlife: 1. NYC, 2. Sydney, 3. London, 4. Toronto
Standard/Quality of Living: 1. Sydney, 2. Toronto, 3. London, 4. NYC (I'm thinking of the QOL for the average, non-wealthy person)
Economy: 1. London, 2. NYC, 3. Sydney, 4. Toronto (I did this based on GDP per capita, though I'm not sure that's the fairest way to do things)
Politics: - Don't know enough about the politics of three of the cities to rank the group.
Climate and Environment: 1. Sydney, 2. London, 3. NYC, 4. Toronto
Education: - Don't know enough about the education of three of the cities to rank the group.
Entertainment (museums, theaters, music scene, dance): 1. NYC, 2. London, 3. Sydney, 4. Toronto
Infrastructure and Transportation: 1. London, 2. NYC, 3. Sydney, 4. Toronto
Surroundings: - Don't know enough about the surroundings of 3 of the cities to rank the group.
Fashion: - Don't know/care enough to rank the group.
Literary/Cinematic/Televisual impact and exports: 1. NYC, 2. London, 3. Sydney, 4. Toronto (if we are looking across all of history, London would take top billing. In terms of current cultural impact, I give the edge to NYC)

Note, I have lived or visited NYC, London, and Sydney. I have never been to Toronto, but am friends with people who do live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World