Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:52 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times

Advertisements

Of course, Montreal with some of the contemporary oomph of Toronto would be a completely different discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 11:40 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,043,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixwand View Post
You seem pretty anti-NYC, pro-London bias, weirdly enough. But you're that Anti-American guy, I forgot. Go away.

My response to these answers is two-fold.

1) I don't consider London to have better architecture than New York. It lacks the beautiful Art-Deco, Bauhaus, Modernist skyscrapers and design touches that make New York so impressive, for it's sheer scale and intricacy.

2) Can you explain food and people? I think London is a step below NYC for availability of ethnic cuisines, number of Michelin stars, and presence of ghastly, starchy British pub food, and the people 1) aren't as diverse and 2) are much colder and more arrogant.

But that's what I've heard.
London has 2000+ years of architecture! From Roman buildings to the shard! New York a couple of hundred years only!

Old 05-05-2020, 12:11 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,826,948 times
The spellbinding New York:

New York city by Patrick Foto , on Flickr

Times Square, Manhattan by Istvan Kadar, on Flickr

Over there is Manhattan by Supremecourtjester, on Flickr

Aerial view of Manhattan Municipal Building and the Thurgood Marshall Courthouse in Lower Manhattan, New York City by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Christmas Lights by June Marie, on Flickr

New York at Night by Trey Ratcliff, on Flickr

Roosevelt Island, midtown, and a wake by Karen Green, on Flickr

Festival of Colors (Holi) NYC in the Bronx by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

David Choe's "Black Rainbow Juice Ambassadors" on the Houston Bowery Mural Wall by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Coney Island Beach on the Fourth of July by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Grand Central Teminal and Pershing Viaduct illuminated in purple by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Rainy Staple Street by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Upper West Side brownstones during winter by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Helmsley Building in rainbow colors for Pride Week, Park Avenue, Manhattan, New York City by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Wisteria-covered townhouse in the Upper West Side of Manhattan by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Half-sun Manhattanhenge 2018, 42nd Street, Times Square, Manhattan, New York City b by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Imagine mosaic, Strawberry Fields, Central Park, New York City by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Elvis Presley mural by Eduardo Kobra 2 by Noel Y. Calingasan (nyclovesnyc), on Flickr

Broome & Mulberry by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Old 05-05-2020, 04:47 PM

153 posts, read 111,003 times
Definitely Sydney. Great weather, great size, beautiful place, clean, and the Aussie accent and lifestyles are hard to beat, in my opinion.
Toronto second, Toronto has a lot going for it and will definitely be a major player in the future. Could definitely imagine myself living there.
London, while having never been, so can't speak on it fully, seems like a fantastic place, but the weather puts me off.
New York, while interesting and definitely a world class city, felt like somewhat like a developing country when you leave the major areas of Manhattan (which are really quite clean and well maintained). Rats, garbage everywhere, and some sketchy people being visible pretty much wherever you go. Saw at least one fight or confrontation on the train every day I was there for more than a week. Had a lot of fun, and can see the appeal, but doesn't vibe well with me in terms of living there, particularly regarding the high living costs for what you get in return.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,504,151 times
I don't think it's really fair to compare either Sydney or Toronto to London or NYC.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:12 PM

169 posts, read 171,951 times
Where's Cape Town?? haha

I'm so divided but London has the edge for me even though I LOVE NYC. I just have more history with London, but NYC a close second. Toronto seems more like Chicago in many ways and I've never been to Sydney but hopefully one day I will! After all this is over!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
Definitely Sydney. Great weather, great size, beautiful place, clean, and the Aussie accent and lifestyles are hard to beat, in my opinion.
Toronto second, Toronto has a lot going for it and will definitely be a major player in the future. Could definitely imagine myself living there.
London, while having never been, so can't speak on it fully, seems like a fantastic place, but the weather puts me off.
New York, while interesting and definitely a world class city, felt like somewhat like a developing country when you leave the major areas of Manhattan (which are really quite clean and well maintained). Rats, garbage everywhere, and some sketchy people being visible pretty much wherever you go. Saw at least one fight or confrontation on the train every day I was there for more than a week. Had a lot of fun, and can see the appeal, but doesn't vibe well with me in terms of living there, particularly regarding the high living costs for what you get in return.
How can London weather put you off if you've never been? Just as a sidenote I can guarantee that you are basing your assumption on a god-awful stereotype :-).

Old 05-06-2020, 09:38 AM

153 posts, read 111,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How can London weather put you off if you've never been? Just as a sidenote I can guarantee that you are basing your assumption on a god-awful stereotype :-).
Because I grew up in Seattle, which everyone always compares London to. I'm not a fan at all of rain nor grey, gloomy skies, so that doesn't sound particularly fun. Big sunny, warm 20+ degrees fan here. You're right though, I could be completely wrong, I know the least about London of the four.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorunner View Post
Because I grew up in Seattle, which everyone always compares London to. I'm not a fan at all of rain nor grey, gloomy skies, so that doesn't sound particularly fun. Big sunny, warm 20+ degrees fan here. You're right though, I could be completely wrong, I know the least about London of the four.
People may compare London and Seattle but I think that's a good example of the stereotyping that London gets in this regard. London is one of the driest cities in Western Europe, It gets less rain annually than Paris, New York, Istanbul and Rome (few examples), it may not be particularly hot in the Summer but winters are not cold. You don't see much sun in the winter thats sure true, its mainly because of the low sun angle but summers in SE England are actually quite 'sunny'. Don't get me wrong the weather is not as nice as the Med or California (for examples) but it most certainly isn't anything like as bad as people (for some reason) constantly try and portray. It's certainly doesn't detract from the city in any way (in fact for the 3 Summer months it's ideal). If you do ever come to London in the Summer don't make the mistake that many 'Johnny foreigners ' make and don't dress like it's the arctic or dress from head to foot in oilskins! :-).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
Temps in Centigrade :-)

Of course weather varies but there is (usually) nothing about the London weather that would want to keep you away.

Last edited by easthome; 05-06-2020 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-06-2020, 02:41 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was just going to chime in that Toronto was getting a bit short-changed in this respect. I'd argue that for the average City-Data person, or the average person in general, the ease of building a nice comfortable life in Toronto is greater than in the other two.

Now, things change a bit if you add Sydney to the mix. It's more similar to Toronto in this respect. I don't know how I'd compare it in terms of COL but in terms of overall QOL it arguably either just squeaks by Toronto or Toronto just squeaks by it. (I'd probably give a slight edge to Sydney though.) Both cities have their advantages but they're often different in nature.

It's unfair to include Toronto in this poll. It's nowhere near London or NYC, and it will lose on every single criteria. Sydney is also even out of place in this poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World