Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you vibe with the most?
London 30 34.09%
Sydney 15 17.05%
Toronto 12 13.64%
New York City 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:53 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes OK, if you believe those figures, apparently there has hardly been any Coronavirus cases in China at all since last April! And despite having lots more infection in Russia they've had far less deaths than countries with less people infected too, all thoroughly believable! Of course it's not the 'only' factor but because of the way the virus works it's a very big factor! The highest population density areas of the UK have had a much higher rate than the low population density areas, the same can be said of the US and I'm guessing Sydney has higher infection rates than the outback.

Yea, actually I believe South Korea's figures. They've done a pretty good job with keeping their procedures and data transparent which is also part of why their healthcare system has been so efficient even pre-pandemic. I don't know about China or Russia, but they aren't quite the same as South Korea. Taiwan and Japan have also supposedly done pretty decent jobs and are also very densely populated countries. Some of the southeast Asian nations also did pretty alright and have functional enough healthcare systems where the numbers aren't just guesstimations.

What you said about the UK cannot be said for the US--there are low population density counties with some of the highest rates of per capita covid infection. Of course, if you're talking way out there where there is just about no one but a single farmstead or a completely isolated community, then some are unscathed. However, you originally mentioned North Dakota which has communities that aren't completely isolated and are mostly rural. Those communities still have churches or community centers or big box stores that these people make treks out to every once in a while at the same time and in the same place for a more prolonged period of time. I don't know what the stats are for the UK, but the US doesn't have density and cases correlate very strongly outside of places that are truly just remote and almost completely uninhabited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 01:59 AM

90 posts, read 67,456 times
I changed my mind after moving to London. And as much as I adore Sydney, I vibe better with London. The history, culture and nightlife is miles ahead of Sydney. However, if I would have to live somewhere for the rest of my life I would choose Sydney. The weather, the beaches, the lifestyle (finishing work where you are earning pretty well and then going to the beach) is something that u can’t do anywhere. I still believe Sydney has the best food quality over the rest! The asian food found in Sydney is amazing and much cheaper that London. If we go for rankings by the economist and Mercer, Sydney is always ranked higher than the rest for quality of life. Sydney is safer than the rest too. Toronto has way more homeless and crazy people. NYC is so sketchy. London is actually fine, but there’s a drinking problem. Seeing people so wasted on a Wednesday at 8pm is the norm. London has the best location and parks. Sydney has the best nature tho. For job opportunities they are all similar. I guess NYC for finance is the top but you can do pretty well in Sydney too, have a better life and it’s less competitive. Min wage is higher in Sydney than anywhere else. NYC and London are the most expensive but I think London is more. Toronto is the cheapest but it has the lowest min wage. Toronto is too cold to live there and I don’t find the location interesting. Montreal is much nicer. Sydney has less covid cases and death than the rest. Ironically it’s nowadays under a lockdown but it’s the first time that the city experiences something like that.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:00 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usuari0deldia View Post
I changed my mind after moving to London. And as much as I adore Sydney, I vibe better with London. The history, culture and nightlife is miles ahead of Sydney. However, if I would have to live somewhere for the rest of my life I would choose Sydney. The weather, the beaches, the lifestyle (finishing work where you are earning pretty well and then going to the beach) is something that u can’t do anywhere. I still believe Sydney has the best food quality over the rest! The asian food found in Sydney is amazing and much cheaper that London. If we go for rankings by the economist and Mercer, Sydney is always ranked higher than the rest for quality of life. Sydney is safer than the rest too. Toronto has way more homeless and crazy people. NYC is so sketchy. London is actually fine, but there’s a drinking problem. Seeing people so wasted on a Wednesday at 8pm is the norm. London has the best location and parks. Sydney has the best nature tho. For job opportunities they are all similar. I guess NYC for finance is the top but you can do pretty well in Sydney too, have a better life and it’s less competitive. Min wage is higher in Sydney than anywhere else. NYC and London are the most expensive but I think London is more. Toronto is the cheapest but it has the lowest min wage. Toronto is too cold to live there and I don’t find the location interesting. Montreal is much nicer. Sydney has less covid cases and death than the rest. Ironically it’s nowadays under a lockdown but it’s the first time that the city experiences something like that.
The UK has the cheapest food in Europe, and housing is cheaper in London than NYC.

Transport is more expensive in London, however Oyster cards are capped which helps and the transport system is non profit making put everything back in to running and improving the system.

Why the UK has such cheap food - BBC News

How much it costs to live in two of the world's most expensive cities: London and NYC - CNBC

As for London it received nearly 20 million overseas tourists a year before Covid, and in terms of Alcohol consumption is actually declining, especially among the young in the UK, but lets not ruin a stereotype.

Although how you have seen Binge Drinking all the time is beyond me, as the pubs have mainly been closed since early 2020 due to the covid pandemic.

Generation Sensible' in five charts - BBC News

Rise of teetotalism: almost half of Brits shun regular drinking - Telegraph

Nearly 30% of young people in England do not drink, study finds - The Guardian

Under-25s turning their backs on alcohol, study suggests - BBC News

The strange death of boozy Britain: why are young people drinking less? - The New Statesman

Alcohol consumption in the UK has fallen by almost a fifth over the last decade to the same level as in 1979.

Binge-drinking continues to fall in young adults - BBC News

Young people turning their backs on alcohol - NHS

As for Hospital Figures, Drug and Violence admissions have fallen in recent years.

Decline in number of hospital admissions for drug-related mental and and behavioural disorders - NHS

Fewer people injured in violent attacks - A&E data study - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-06-2021 at 03:10 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 AM

164 posts, read 80,901 times
I personally prefer

NYC, then Sydney, the last place would be London and Toronto.

NYC has an energy you hardly find elsewhere, I am also a foodie so NYC is superior to the other three in that category.

Sydney has great weather and nice beaches.

London and Toronto can be interesting but I am not a fan of the local weather.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
I personally prefer

NYC, then Sydney, the last place would be London and Toronto.

NYC has an energy you hardly find elsewhere, I am also a foodie so NYC is superior to the other three in that category.

Sydney has great weather and nice beaches.

London and Toronto can be interesting but I am not a fan of the local weather.
Yet another new account.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-06-2021 at 03:58 AM..

Old 08-06-2021, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Yet another new account.
Can you get ahold of yourself already? Not everyone who does not love London has to be a troll.

I did not say London is a bad place I simply said I prefer New york city over London, Sydney and Toronto.

I am not a troll just because I find New York to be more interesting than the other cities.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Can you get ahold of yourself already? Not everyone who does not love London has to be a troll.

I did not say London is a bad place I simply said I prefer New york city over London, Sydney and Toronto.

I am not a troll just because I find New York to be more interesting than the other cities.
London has mild weather, and if you don't like London because of the weather, you will also not like Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copehagen, Edinburgh, Dublin and many Central European and Northern European countries and cities.

Toronto has much more extreme weather, with severe winters and warmer summers, however if you don't like Toronto's weather then you, are not going to like a lot of Canada and the bordering Northern states of the US.

As for Sydney, who knows what your rationale is for not liking Sydney, but then again who cares.

I think people are sick of the multiple new accounts including appdeapp and the bumping of old threads in order than you can express the same tired views regarding the weather or some nonsense regarding night life or food or even diversity of all things.

Different name and the same nonsense attacking London and US tourists over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdeapp View Post
It’s noticeable that the negative claims about New York and America are arbitrary, un-explained, and hold no water.

You erroneously claim that “public school in the US is really lacking these days”…that’s absolutely untrue, as a generalized statement particularly so. There is no stable ground to place that assertion on whatsoever.

Like, Food should definitely not be London, it should be New York - more diverse array of cuisines, more restaurants, a longer history of esteemed dining and drink-making, and more Michelin stars.

Diversity also can’t just be “given” to London for “a high density of Europeans” or whatever. NYC is simply more diverse. More nationalities represented, more languages spoken, a longer history of global immigration, more racial diversity, period.
You advantage London kind of arbitrarily long on assumption - an arbitrary affiliation with “Europpeanness” boosts London’s fashion ranking, but New York, which has been a more esteemed fashion capital in the 20th and 21st centuries, falls behind.

Btw, I’m confused as to what a “European flair” is. There isn’t one. A lot of the street style I see around Europe and particularly the UK looks kind of goofy or sloppy.

Im not saying there’s a very big difference between the US and these countries in this sense because there isn’t, but knowing how to dress down tastefully is something that I think American culture has done well, traditionally. Going to Europe, “street style” means a ridiculously tight t-shirt on a potbellied man, a Lacoste polo with the collar done all the way up, tons of fake tan, bowl-cut fades, and short athletic shorts with goofy looking Nikes.

The other thing is the arbitrary ranking up of London for “architecture”. It has some nice old world street scapes, and sure, it has some nice Georgian and Victorian architecture, but it’s architecture isn’t of the grandiose, eclectic, and innovative kind that New York’s is.

London’s architecture is cute but relatively diminutive. In large stretches, including the city center, you get tons of plain looking tan brick structures. Whether it’s aged or not, it doesn’t scream “wow”. New York’s architecture is pretty robust in size. It’s often tall, monumental, cute, ornate, modern, stylish, all of it, from Brooklyn Heights to Nomad.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:04 AM

Quote:
London has mild weather, and if you don't like London because of the weather, you will also not like Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copehagen, Edinburgh, Dublin and many Central European and Northern European countries and cities.

Toronto has much more extreme weather, with severe winters and warmer summers, however if you don't like Toronto's weather then you, are not going to like a lot of Canada and the bordering Northern states of the US.

As for Sydney, who knows what your rationale is for not liking Sydney, but then again who cares.

I think people are sick of the multiple accounts and the bumping of old threads in order than you can express the same views regarding the weather or some nonsense regarding night life or food.
In London there is this sort of background grayness that I never was able to like, plus the summers to me do not feel like summer. Sometimes they are a bit too windy, with partial cloudy weather and 20 degrees and at night it gets too chilly for a summer night, the winter in London is far too gray and too rainy.

NYC is preferable to me in that aspect because summer feels like summer (sunny, warm) and winter feels like winter (Snowy, cold).

Toronto is too extreme.

Sydney great weather but too hot during summer.

Overall I like NYC better, though neither one of the four are my top cities.

Let's say I am a warm weather person.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
In London there is this sort of background grayness that I never was able to like, plus the summers to me do not feel like summer. Sometimes they are a bit too windy, with partial cloudy weather and 20 degrees and at night it gets too chilly for a summer night, the winter in London is far too gray and too rainy.

NYC is preferable to me in that aspect because summer feels like summer (sunny, warm) and winter feels like winter (Snowy, cold).

Toronto is too extreme.

Sydney great weather but too hot during summer.

Overall I like NYC better, though neither one of the four are my top cities.
Nobody cares, just stop posting the same nonsense over and over again.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Nobody cares, just stop posting the same nonsense over and over again.
Oh grow up will you?
You were the one who initiated the conversation with me, first accusing me of being a troll because I picked NYC over London simply because I enjoy NYC better.

Then claiming London is not gray, which I simply said I find London weather too wet and a bit cloudy, and now you tell me to stop posting because no one cares!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World