Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:22 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So then you have average performers, but you're content to leave them as average and not help them to improve? You may be missing out on a diamond in the rough. That's a disservice to you, and to your employees.
Disservice to me? Are you aware of the term called "opportunity cost"? I spend my time with employees who are/or have a potential to be high performers. I choose to focus my efforts, money and time on people who can generate the highest ROI. Very simple concept. I treat high performers differently than everyone else. Will this method fail to account for one one percent of people who might otherwise go from middle to the top? Yes, at the expense of 10% that make me most of the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 11:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,907,088 times
didn't read all posts, but I'll just say that "I'm a really blunt and candid guy" means you have no tact, which yes, is a bad thing.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Actually that's completely wrong. A good manager doesn't have people talking behind their backs because they know there is an open line of communication with management. Granted there will always be that one person who does this, if it's expected as the norm there are serious issues there.
Your naivete is a perfect example of why you are a, what I assume a middle manager earning 1/1Xth of what I do.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,163,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Average managers care about "what their employees say behind their back". I don't. And, not because I am some sort of a maverick, or have an attitude of me against the world, but because those people would be saying things behind my back no matter what. That is the reflection of them as human beings first and foremost, and employees second.

Not only do I accept that as a "possibility", but I actively expect it and manage it accordingly.

It sounds like being blunt and direct is not a bad thing in your case because you are indifferent to how other people understood/react to your communication style. It seems to work with your employees, seeing as you are the CEO of your own company so they have to put up with it, but I don't see how it can be a good thing in any other relationship which is what the scope of the original post was about.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
Average managers care about "what their employees say behind their back". I don't. And, not because I am some sort of a maverick, or have an attitude of me against the world, but because those people would be saying things behind my back no matter what. That is the reflection of them as human beings first and foremost, and employees second.

Not only do I accept that as a "possibility", but I actively expect it and manage it accordingly.

It's good that you're the CEO then, as the self-adoration wouldn't fly anywhere else.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It sounds like being blunt and direct is not a bad thing in your case because you are indifferent to how other people understood/react to your communication style. It seems to work with your employees, seeing as you are the CEO of your own company so they have to put up with it, but I don't see how it can be a good thing in any other relationship which is what the scope of the original post was about.
It has everything to the with the original post. The premise is that somehow a competent, efficient, results oriented direct person should adapt to someone who is not. As to "include everyone", or "not to alienate". I reject that premise.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's good that you're the CEO then, as the self-adoration wouldn't fly anywhere else.
Self-adoration? Give me a break. Look at the forest beyond the trees.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,569,955 times
Quote:
Self-adoration? Give me a break. Look at the forest beyond the trees.
You at least have the corporate lingo down well enough to be a CEO.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:00 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OMG....This is so true. I was raised in So. California From a "we never met a stranger" type family background....I have had so many of the same experiences, up here in N.D. and M.N. country.

Especially a regional thing. People like to pretend they appreciate honest open communication...But get offended and run when it happens.
The positive side of it is, if you're in a situation where you want to get a Minnesotan (or North Dakotan) out of your life forever, just be bluntly honest with them. You'll never hear from them again.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I put my money, time and effort where my mouth is. Or better yet, my brain. You?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment