Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,711,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Don't disagree with that, especially with clients. What I disagree with is that "tailoring" your approach to each "individual audience" will have a marginal benefit. It is naive to think that I, you, or anyone else for that matter will be able to make a difference with someone who has been average their entire career. Sure, one in a hundred may be a superstar, but for the most part spending time with employees like that is waste of time.

And you're setting yourself up for failure. You can choose to see it or ignore it. At first when I became a new manager I just wanted things to get done. My approach was "You're doing this wrong so fix it." When they would ask me how I simply stated "I don't care how, just make it happen." I knew how to do it and assumed that they should too. Boy was I ever wrong. I learned very quickly that I could get people to perform like I needed them to by coaching them and leading by example. I had to throw the ego out the window and learn that everyone learns in different ways.

You cannot expect people to cater their learning to your teaching style. Once you learn to teach based on how people learn people's demeanor and their work ethic and attitude changes very dramatically and quickly. I'm a firm believer in leading by example.

Yes, once in a while you'll get someone who just won't perform regardless of how hard you try. With those people, you do have to cut your losses. But that's AFTER YOU do everything you can to help make them better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
Quote:
Don't disagree with that, especially with clients. What I disagree with is that "tailoring" your approach to each "individual audience" will have a marginal benefit. It is naive to think that I, you, or anyone else for that matter will be able to make a difference with someone who has been average their entire career. Sure, one in a hundred may be a superstar, but for the most part spending time with employees like that is waste of time.
Well I have to disagree with you here. I've taken people who were told they were average and helped them develop and advance in their careers - even if they didn't end up being superstars leading the way. These are typically people in their 20's and early 30's, however, so if you're talking about people who have worked for twenty years or more, I might have to agree with you that it would be difficult to mold someone who is older and set in their ways.

However, the issue is knowing your audience and I do approach each person differently based on their personality because it allows for clearer communication between us. Just like teaching people involves different approaches, so does communication. To me, if I can communicate something once, without invoking any negatives, that's not a marginal benefit, it's a win.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,214,192 times
Quote:

What's the point of knowing your audience if you aren't going to change your approach to each type of audience (be it individuals or groups)?
You make it sound as if modifying your communication style is akin to fighting nature ... like taming a lion.
It isn't. It does take a conscious effort, however.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,081,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
And you're setting yourself up for failure. You can choose to see it or ignore it. At first when I became a new manager I just wanted things to get done. My approach was "You're doing this wrong so fix it." When they would ask me how I simply stated "I don't care how, just make it happen." I knew how to do it and assumed that they should too. Boy was I ever wrong. I learned very quickly that I could get people to perform like I needed them to by coaching them and leading by example. I had to throw the ego out the window and learn that everyone learns in different ways.

You cannot expect people to cater their learning to your teaching style. Once you learn to teach based on how people learn people's demeanor and their work ethic and attitude changes very dramatically and quickly. I'm a firm believer in leading by example.

Yes, once in a while you'll get someone who just won't perform regardless of how hard you try. With those people, you do have to cut your losses. But that's AFTER YOU do everything you can to help make them better.
I'm not sure if you insinuating that I am a new manager, but I own two high margin companies, 50+ employees, and on pace to make more than 99.XX percent of individuals this fiscal year. I didn't get there by wasting my time with people who will never be more than just average.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What's the point of knowing your audience if you aren't going to change your approach to each type of audience (be it individuals or groups)?
You make it sound as if modifying your communication style is akin to fighting nature ... like taming a lion.
It isn't. It does take a conscious effort, however.

And herein lies the real issue..... Some people don't want to put in the effort to take the necessary steps to help build people up. Sometimes all it takes is the right person to show you the right path and you can excel. It might seem like someone is just average because they've not been pushed in the right direction. A good manager will do that. The rest of them just say it's not their responsibility. Sometimes we see those on CD complaining about being unemployed.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well I have to disagree with you here. I've taken people who were told they were average and helped them develop and advance in their careers - even if they didn't end up being superstars leading the way. These are typically people in their 20's and early 30's, however, so if you're talking about people who have worked for twenty years or more, I might have to agree with you that it would be difficult to mold someone who is older and set in their ways.

However, the issue is knowing your audience and I do approach each person differently based on their personality because it allows for clearer communication between us. Just like teaching people involves different approaches, so does communication. To me, if I can communicate something once, without invoking any negatives, that's not a marginal benefit, it's a win.
High potential individuals with unproven track record command much higher attention, and time than someone with proven track record of average performance. Two different cases, we can agree on that.

High performers, and those who have potential to be one don't complain about manager's tone, approach, or communication style, but they focus on the half-glass full scenario. They focus on performance, results, substance, not style. I choose to surround myself with employees like that.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There's a fine line to walk between being direct and to the point and being viewed as rude, even when that's not the intent.

Yup, and the exact same language might be perceived differently by two different people.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you insinuating that I am a new manager, but I own two high margin companies, 50+ employees, and on pace to make more than 99.XX percent of individuals this fiscal year. I didn't get there by wasting my time with people who will never be more than just average.

And what? You may be trending upwards right now, but I can tell you from experience that you will never stay there with an attitude that you are wasting time on people who aren't just like you.

But I digress. Since none of us who have lived in the management world know anything have at it.

We look forward to seeing you on the cover of Forbes.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,831,515 times
He who thinketh by the inch and talketh by the yard, ought to be kickethed by the foot.

Not every thought needs to be verbalized.

Don't be a d1ck.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
And what? You may be trending upwards right now, but I can tell you from experience that you will never stay there with an attitude that you are wasting time on people who aren't just like you.

But I digress. Since none of us who have lived in the management world know anything have at it.

We look forward to seeing you on the cover of Forbes.
I don't care about Forbes, or recognition. I care about results. Who says that I hate wasting my time on people who aren't like myself? Top performers come in many shapes and sizes, from quiet to type A ego maniacs, from ivy league graduates to people who barely finished high school, from a young 21 year old to a 60 year old, but they all have one thing in common: desire to be the best. And best performers don't waste their time on things that don't add value.

I spend a lot of time and money on finding talented individuals who will thrive in my system. Outside of finding clients, I find no other task more important than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment