Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,329,586 times

Advertisements

Just be careful to not be one of those "brutally honest" people who are more interested in brutality than in honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,738,215 times
The old saying goes "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

If you cannot communicate your intent effectively and in such a way that all who hear it can benefit from it, then it's a failed effort.

You really do have to know your audience.

Last edited by Nlambert; 04-14-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,092,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The old saying goes "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

If you cannot communicate your intent effectively and in such a way that all who hear it can benefit from it, then it's a failed effort.
Naive sentiment. There is no such thing as "all". There are only probabilities. 68% of all employees are considered average, at any company. That is within one standard deviation of the mean. No matter what I do, say, "communicate effectively" there will always be average, for myriad of reasons. My marginal cost will always be higher than my marginal benefit if I tailored my companies to those 68%. I choose to spend vast majority of my time improving the top 10%, and minimize my time with average performers.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,788,671 times
Bright people and good managers understand people are different and they change their approach based on the specific person they're dealing with. But rudeness is never okay, in my opinion.

Some people personalize everything, and yes, they have to be handled with kid gloves. Others would be offended by that and just want the facts.

NLambert is spot on when he says, "Know your audience."

Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 AM

185 posts, read 240,700 times
I really like honesty, but maybe its your tone. I'm a pretty blunt person so when someone asks me for my honest opinion I let them no its not to insult or offend. Some people you have to let them no its with no hard feelings because thats how some people take it.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM

928 posts, read 1,108,726 times
Sounds more like you have an undiagnosed Asperers Syndrome.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,399,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
It's pretty context dependent. When I worked in NYC people were often very blunt and nobody was offended.

However, here in Minnesota, you have to glad handle everyone or they literally will hate your guts.

Most places are in between these extremes. In general, it's best to err on the side of finesse.
OMG....This is so true. I was raised in So. California From a "we never met a stranger" type family background....I have had so many of the same experiences, up here in N.D. and M.N. country.

Especially a regional thing. People like to pretend they appreciate honest open communication...But get offended and run when it happens.

OP, it's good that you are taking this criticism and working on things. Like others have said...Finesse your statements a bit...
" Well, since you've asked I will tell you my suggestions....bla, bla....What do you think of those ideas?? Hope it helps."

Also...Go to those work related folks that have made these suggestions....Offer up that you are really taking these suggestions to heart and are trying to grow from their advice...Ask them for examples of how you could change your approach. It will win you some brownie points, and you'll get some good advice to guide you..
Good luck...

Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,092,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Bright people and good managers understand people are different and they change their approach based on the specific person they're dealing with. But rudeness is never okay, in my opinion.

Some people personalize everything, and yes, they have to be handled with kid gloves. Others would be offended by that and just want the facts.

Don't disagree with that, especially with clients. What I disagree with is that "tailoring" your approach to each "individual audience" will have a marginal benefit. It is naive to think that I, you, or anyone else for that matter will be able to make a difference with someone who has been average their entire career. Sure, one in a hundred may be a superstar, but for the most part spending time with employees like that is waste of time.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,723,397 times
You will unknowingly create silent enemies by doing this.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:21 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,316,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Good point. A big part of my issue is that I just want the facts, and I treat everyone as if they feel the same.

My impatience makes it hard to slow down and realize the differences - I just want to put it out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment