Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times

Advertisements

There isn't a institution out there that has all top performers, not even the MckInsey and Cos or the most elite boutique firms. And neglecting the rank and file is often the doom of many orgs, they're usually the backbone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,886,954 times
I prefer a no nonsense bottom line direct message as well but there are nice ways to deliver and receive them. Instead of saying "I'm nearly finished" which is fine unless your tone was terse. I would say "Thank you for reminding me I'm nearly finished." Or a humorous "I'm on it like white on rice." If you have that kind of relationship with your coworker. I think it's more about the tone in your voice that may be offensive to some.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,717,653 times
I am really the same way. I also dont like sarcasm and rather get to the point. It a good thing, but you have to tweak it at times in situaions, really think how the other person may interpret it. Especially when typing, I try to reread several times to figure how it may come accross. Its something you just have to be aware of.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,090,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There isn't a institution out there that has all top performers, not even the MckInsey and Cos or the most elite boutique firms. And neglecting the rank and file is often the doom of many orgs, they're usually the backbone.
How are you? Finally some decent weather in Boston area past few days..........sorry I digress.

Every company needs average performers. I relate to them as cash flow. Since no company really wants to turn down business. I'm just of the mindset that time is better spent with someone who will provide a greater marginal benefit than with the one who will not.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 AM

3,081 posts, read 5,041,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Just be careful to not be one of those "brutally honest" people who are more interested in brutality than in honesty.
This is roughly 99.999% of the people who claim they're just 'being honest,' or 'keeping it real.'

This was me. This still is me on occasion. I know when I get fed up my responses get more curt and nastier. The response people have when you actually respect their effort and opinion, no matter how wrong they may be, is significantly more receptive to criticism than the other way.

You'll never win anyone to your side by berating them.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,733,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
How are you? Finally some decent weather in Boston area past few days..........sorry I digress.

Every company needs average performers. I relate to them as cash flow. Since no company really wants to turn down business. I'm just of the mindset that time is better spent with someone who will provide a greater marginal benefit than with the one who will not.

So then you have average performers, but you're content to leave them as average and not help them to improve? You may be missing out on a diamond in the rough. That's a disservice to you, and to your employees.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
Quote:
High potential individuals with unproven track record command much higher attention, and time than someone with proven track record of average performance. Two different cases, we can agree on that.

High performers, and those who have potential to be one don't complain about manager's tone, approach, or communication style, but they focus on the half-glass full scenario. They focus on performance, results, substance, not style. I choose to surround myself with employees like that.

I never said anyone complained about anything, or were negative. I wouldn't hire or keep anyone like that on my team.

If you cannot tell how someone is responding to what you're saying, or you simply don't care, that's your choice. I'm betting your employees have zero response in front of you and plenty to say behind your back, but since that's the type of manager you choose to be, I doubt you'll accept that as even being a possibility.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,090,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I never said anyone complained about anything, or were negative. I wouldn't hire or keep anyone like that on my team.

If you cannot tell how someone is responding to what you're saying, or you simply don't care, that's your choice. I'm betting your employees have zero response in front of you and plenty to say behind your back, but since that's the type of manager you choose to be, I doubt you'll accept that as even being a possibility.
Average managers care about "what their employees say behind their back". I don't. And, not because I am some sort of a maverick, or have an attitude of me against the world, but because those people would be saying things behind my back no matter what. That is the reflection of them as human beings first and foremost, and employees second.

Not only do I accept that as a "possibility", but I actively expect it and manage it accordingly.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

This is EXACTLY what happens. I had it happen to me until I realized my mistake, and I see it happening in my current company now with a few lackluster managers. Everyone is going to be nice to your face because they have to be. Rest assured if they took the same attitude with the boss that the boss has about them, they would be out the door.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Average managers care about "what their employees say behind their back". I don't. And, not because I am some sort of a maverick, or have an attitude of me against the world, but because those people would be saying things behind my back no matter what. That is the reflection of them as human beings first and foremost, and employees second.

Not only do I accept that as a "possibility", but I actively expect it and manage it accordingly.

Actually that's completely wrong. A good manager doesn't have people talking behind their backs because they know there is an open line of communication with management. Granted there will always be that one person who does this, if it's expected as the norm there are serious issues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment