Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever relocated to a very undesirable area for an excellent career opportunity? When I say 'excellent', I mean a unique one-of-a kind career experience with best-in-class growth opportunity with excellent pay and benefits to boot.

But, what if the opportunity requires you to move an area you really can't stand with a completely different culture from your own, try as hard as you may to understand it, with terrible schools, general lack of appreciation for (and even presence of) most of the things you like, and a spouse who would hate it worse than you.

But, what if your spouse doesn't work and your are the sole provider, and the opportunity is really game changing if done successfully?

How do you tackle this one? It would not be forever, just for a few years to gain experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times
If I were single, then I would go for it. Lock yourself in the office for a few years, learn as much as you can, get paid through the roof and get out. However, with a spouse and kids, there are so many more factors that make it or break it so lack of good schools and in general, the lifestyle that makes your family happy is not worth it in my opinion. As unique as the opportunity sounds in itself, combined with other factors, it's really not such a great fit for your current family situation and when your spouse and kids are miserable, trust me, no amount of money is going to make them happy. We live in a great area and I work for a great company, truly an opportunity of a lifetime, however, even with all these positives, there is a negative-long hours during month-end, and two years ago, things were pretty bad with months on months of long hours, my family was not happy.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I have never relocated to an undesirable place, but have relocated several times (always employer paid and sponsored) for different career opportunities. The destination locations were always desirable. Life is too short to live in a undesirable place and I would probably never do it!

I was once offered a nice position in Houston, TX keeping my current Silicon Valley base salary and commission structure.
After visiting Houston (no offense to anyone intended), we decided to stay in the Bay Area.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I haven't, my BIL has.mhe did it knowing it would be a short term move to climb the ladder.

For me personally I never would. My family has moved twice to places that we didn't hate and it has been very taxing on our family life and dynamic.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:01 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
"Very undesirable" to me, but they probably wouldn't be considered undesirable to many. I have always figured that I go where the work is, not where I want it to be.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
If it were just 6 months or a year, it would be an adventure. Two or three years and it sounds less appealing, especially if the spouse is going to resent it.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:43 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have never relocated to an undesirable place, but have relocated several times (always employer paid and sponsored) for different career opportunities. The destination locations were always desirable. Life is too short to live in a undesirable place and I would probably never do it!
Same here... It's been 3 1/2 years since I relocated from the undesirable Deep South to the PNW. Couldn't be happier.

Saw this top 10 list today...

It may have plenty of gray, rainy days, but Seattle also has some great coffee, a thriving music and arts scene and, most importantly, jobs. Home to Microsoft, Amazon and Boeing, among many other companies, Seattle has become an economic powerhouse, attracting tech workers, outdoors types and those seeking world-class access to arts and entertainment.

Top 10 cities people are moving to - CNNMoney

Seattle was 7th...

Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 PM

Let's put it this way, Houston TX metro would be considered more desirable to 99% of the nation's population than this particular location. The locals love it there, and I highly respect them for it, and I would do my best to learn the culture, but the location will never be my cup of tea any way you slice it, much less so for the rest of my family.

That being said, the career opportunity is so good, that we are considering other options. The local scools are terrible but the pay increase would more than pay for the best private schools in that area.

Another option were considering is being a "super commuter" family, where family stays where they are and I just get apartment during workweek while getting this experience. It is close enough that I can drive back every weekend, just not every day, plus I get every other Friday off. The pay increase alone would pay for the second 'household'.

The career opportunity is so good, that if I perform well and make the most if it, I am all but certain I can get something at least as good if not better in my current place after this experience, but certainly not before.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Htown2013; 12-23-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
"Very undesirable" to me, but they probably wouldn't be considered undesirable to many. I have always figured that I go where the work is, not where I want it to be.
What mentors have told me that while you're young, you go where the work and experience are. If you get so good at what you do, you will be able to call more shots as you gain experience in something that is valued.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:19 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Leave your spouse behind and get yourself a small apartment. Is relocating your family to be near either one of your parents desirable or a viable option? My dad was career military and he did this several times with us when he was deployed on unaccompanied tours.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 12-23-2014 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment