Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 AM

35,197 posts, read 31,530,217 times

Advertisements

Yes, I went to Iowa for a position that was better than I had at the time. Hated the place and moved back home to TN, which was a major financial mistakes. I've ended up here in Indiana, and while not ideal, is loads better than Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 AM

7,896 posts, read 11,457,233 times
I have moved to the NE which I considered undesirable but for a promotion with my company that was a great career move. You know we didn't end up minding living in the NE after all. We met some great people who are still close friends and experienced a culture new to us. It ended up being a win win, no kids though so,it was simpler than your situation OP. But in the energy business some locations are tough living but the job makes it worth moving. I would try the super commute option.

As a side note, I would tell those you work with at the new location that wife was attached to family and kids use to the schools as for why you came without them, so they are do not make an assumption about how you feel about their town and let it impact how the feel about you.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,105,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Yes, I went to Iowa for a position that was better than I had at the time. Hated the place and moved back home to TN, which was a major financial mistakes. I've ended up here in Indiana, and while not ideal, is loads better than Iowa.

This may be the first time these words have ever been uttered.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM

587 posts, read 918,781 times
What would it take to make the decision to say yes to the job a no brainer for you? Can you do it remotely?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,613,597 times
I made a trip to southern Indiana once... spent a week there near Evansville. Outside of Indianapolis all I saw were corn and soybean fields... I was like.. "where do these people work?"

Old 12-24-2014, 08:11 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,258,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I've lived in a place I don't like for the last 25 years because of job opportunities. After a while, any place will probably grow on you a little bit. The terrible schools part doesn't describe us, though - schools are OK.
We could never last that long there. Why we're seriously considering the 'super commuter' option is that we don't get stuck there indefinitely.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
hmmm...would west Texas be considered "undesirable". Bascially moved out here over 3 years ago, although my main residence is in the D/FW area, to work in the oil fields...and yes the money was/is worth it!
Are you doing the 'super commuter' option where your family and primary residence remain in DFW and you work in West TX?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This may be the first time these words have ever been uttered.
I would prefer certain parts of Indianapolis over anything in Iowa, but neither would be ideal.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:08 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,031,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Has anyone ever relocated to a very undesirable area for an excellent career opportunity? When I say 'excellent', I mean a unique one-of-a kind career experience with best-in-class growth opportunity with excellent pay and benefits to boot.

But, what if the opportunity requires you to move an area you really can't stand with a completely different culture from your own, try as hard as you may to understand it, with terrible schools, general lack of appreciation for (and even presence of) most of the things you like, and a spouse who would hate it worse than you.

But, what if your spouse doesn't work and your are the sole provider, and the opportunity is really game changing if done successfully?

How do you tackle this one? It would not be forever, just for a few years to gain experience.
Go where the work is.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I've lived in a place I don't like for the last 25 years because of job opportunities. After a while, any place will probably grow on you a little bit. The terrible schools part doesn't describe us, though - schools are OK.
Where did you live for 25 years that you don't like? Is it at least a major metro area with cultural amenities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment