Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:33 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,958 times

Advertisements

I used to say I would take a job anywhere in the United States except New York City. And because life can be a real troll, I was then offered a job I really, really, really wanted in Manhattan. I wanted that job so much that, against everything I ever told myself, I actually gave the thought of moving my family to NYC serious considerations. But the 90-minute commute that working in NYC would require (based on my housing budget) and the general quality of life issues for NYC commuters (based on feedback I got from friends working in NYC) were enough for me to ultimately turn the job down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,518 times
The primary consideration in this kind of scenario, IMHO is: once you are there, how in h*ll are you going to get out?

One must never, ever go to a limited prospect area without an exit strategy foremost in mind.

What happens if you get canned and it takes you a couple of years to get back to civilization, and by then you are out of money and out of options? You know - civilization - the kinda place where you walk across the street to the competitors and get another job?

What happens (if you are a single male) when you marry a local and in the envisioned two year timeframe, she turns into a land whale and decides she won't leave her parents?

Or you have children with said land whale and then you can't leave until they go to college?

A two year hitch can turn into a lifetime, with even one of the circumstances described above.

I would not risk getting trapped in a place with limited prospects, unless that's the way I roll.

FWIW, I daydream about a limited prospect area to move to. In my daydreams, I've had enough of the big city and have told my boss to take this job and shove it. In real life, the move would not go well for me while I'm still working. Unless I learned to keep my mouth shut fast (low odds), I'm pretty sure I'd be run out of town on a rail in short order, figuratively speaking. Then I'd be stuck long distance job-hunting, in a place I could no longer tolerate, and which would no longer be even remotely hospitable, watching my checking account dwindle.

There are all kinds of ways to be trapped that are out of your control. Don't do it to yourself, with eyes wide open. Or at least consider the fallout before you do. Good wished to you.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
One of the biggest problems with this place - no matter how well you do, there is always someone with so much more, that you feel poor. I think we are doing ok, but then I grew up without much so I think I appreciate what we have more. My husband can't stop comparing us and getting down about it.

I have to say that when I lived here in my 20's, when I was barely scraping by, it was totally miserable to be surrounded by such wealth.
If you go through life being envious of others you will never be happy. There is always going to be someone who is richer, better looking, has a nicer car, etc. than you, no matter how well you do.

And you have no idea what these people that you envy are going through behind closed doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
As long as you don't have kids to worry about raising in an area you don't like, and dealing with a poor school system, I say go for it because these two factors you highlight above is worth the gamble. Good pay, great work experience, and an unemployed spouse.

What city/area is this and where will you be coming from?
Disagree, just because you don't have kids means it is OK to go live somewhere you don't want to. How about a single person? Or in this case a couple.

I lived in an area for awhile that didn't even a bookstore in close proximity, the reason being not enough people read in the area to warrant one. I am an avid reader. I had someone tell me "go to Walmart they have books" or "order online", they didn't get that I wanted to go sit and have a coffee, browse for books, etc.

I came from an area where I had several bookstores and better educated people. I moved to Jerry Springer country, it was awful and I am no longer there. The point is, you don't get that time back, and sometimes you can box yourself in, what happens if you get laid off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
The primary consideration in this kind of scenario, IMHO is: once you are there, how in h*ll are you going to get out?

One must never, ever go to a limited prospect area without an exit strategy foremost in mind.

What happens if you get canned and it takes you a couple of years to get back to civilization, and by then you are out of money and out of options? You know - civilization - the kinda place where you walk across the street to the competitors and get another job?

What happens (if you are a single male) when you marry a local and in the envisioned two year timeframe, she turns into a land whale and decides she won't leave her parents?

Or you have children with said land whale and then you can't leave until they go to college?

A two year hitch can turn into a lifetime, with even one of the circumstances described above.

I would not risk getting trapped in a place with limited prospects, unless that's the way I roll.

FWIW, I daydream about a limited prospect area to move to. In my daydreams, I've had enough of the big city and have told my boss to take this job and shove it. In real life, the move would not go well for me while I'm still working. Unless I learned to keep my mouth shut fast (low odds), I'm pretty sure I'd be run out of town on a rail in short order, figuratively speaking. Then I'd be stuck long distance job-hunting, in a place I could no longer tolerate, and which would no longer be even remotely hospitable, watching my checking account dwindle.

There are all kinds of ways to be trapped that are out of your control. Don't do it to yourself, with eyes wide open. Or at least consider the fallout before you do. Good wished to you.
Best advice on here.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Has anyone ever relocated to a very undesirable area for an excellent career opportunity? When I say 'excellent', I mean a unique one-of-a kind career experience with best-in-class growth opportunity with excellent pay and benefits to boot.***********

How do you tackle this one? It would not be forever, just for a few years to gain experience.
That reminds me of a funny story. In 1981 at Boston University Law School students could sign up for interviews with firms. The firms would choose who to interview based on their resume. I was the only one signing up to interview with Watkins, Ludlum & Stennis (now with former governor Winter's name added to the mix). When they asked me why I had chosen them, I was tempted to say "well I've (with appropriate accent) been livin' among Naw-then-ers for twenty-four years, and I get itchy about their Communist-lovin'."

What I actually said was that I knew the South had changed a lot since the early 1960's and I was open to see it. They flew me down to interview. They wound up wanting a five-year commitment, which was more than I could make, so I didn't take the job.

Still I would have been willing to try with a two-year commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment