Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:10 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,786,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Are you doing the 'super commuter' option where your family and primary residence remain in DFW and you work in West TX?

you know it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:56 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,935,846 times
Me, no.... but I know people who have moved to Dubai and hated it. The job was interesting and the pay was excellent, and after the novelty of that city wore off, the day-in-day-out life in Dubai was dreadful--according to them.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,840,419 times
Well boredom really depends on things really. I get a tad sick of some in the Boston area here that act like bars and clubs need to stay open to 4am. I'm sorry but how long do you have to stay out for an maintain a job ? What good things happen after 11pm?

If you are in a place that seems boring I'd check to see the events at a local college/university and/or library.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,249,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
you know it!
How's that working out for you? That may be our best option, as we got really good deal and interest rate on our current house which is close to wife's family.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,204,695 times
This is a tough decision. I have lived in a community that was pretty crummy, but we stayed there for 5 years. We did it for the professional opportunity at the time, and for us (at that moment), it was a good decision. When you are in a smaller market, you can be a "big fish in a small pond", you can advance significantly professionally, and position yourself well for future moves. We stayed where we were that long because my spouse was doing very well income wise. We had a great home and I had wonderful friends. We were driving distance from my family in Houston. In a way, we got trapped for a while because of the $$. My husband liked to call it "golden handcuffs".

We ultimately chose to leave after 5 years to move somewhere with a better quality of life. We took a huge, huge hit to our income to make the move, but we are happier with our quality of life.

Whether or not we will stay remains to be seen. As someone else pointed out you should follow the jobs and work. I think people are far too hesitant to do that these days.

And, I would never separate the family. I just personally think that is a bad idea unless you know for certain it is a short term arrangement like a few months or a year at most. You can talk about resentment from a spouse being somewhere they don't want to be, but how about the resentment from a spouse whose partner is not supporting them in taking care of their family? If the spouse who does not want to move does not even work and puts their foot down, then all the bigger a problem. You suck it up and move. Just my opinion.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,896 times
Quote:
Where did you live for 25 years that you don't like? Is it at least a major metro area with cultural amenities?
Yes - near DC. Many people love it here; I'm just not one of them.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This is a tough decision. I have lived in a community that was pretty crummy, but we stayed there for 5 years. We did it for the professional opportunity at the time, and for us (at that moment), it was a good decision. When you are in a smaller market, you can be a "big fish in a small pond", you can advance significantly professionally, and position yourself well for future moves. We stayed where we were that long because my spouse was doing very well income wise. We had a great home and I had wonderful friends. We were driving distance from my family in Houston. In a way, we got trapped for a while because of the $$. My husband liked to call it "golden handcuffs".

We ultimately chose to leave after 5 years to move somewhere with a better quality of life. We took a huge, huge hit to our income to make the move, but we are happier with our quality of life.

Whether or not we will stay remains to be seen. As someone else pointed out you should follow the jobs and work. I think people are far too hesitant to do that these days.

And, I would never separate the family. I just personally think that is a bad idea unless you know for certain it is a short term arrangement like a few months or a year at most. You can talk about resentment from a spouse being somewhere they don't want to be, but how about the resentment from a spouse whose partner is not supporting them in taking care of their family? If the spouse who does not want to move does not even work and puts their foot down, then all the bigger a problem. You suck it up and move. Just my opinion.
I don't think it's really separating the family. I did the math, and I would be spending more than 50% of nights with them, 80% of my "free time" hours with them every week, plus I could easily come back any evening for emergency, special event, etc - just not every day. Is that really that bad? Wife's retired parents are also close by current location.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Yes - near DC. Many people love it here; I'm just not one of them.
I would love DC if I made enough. It's funny how a 'desirable' location is not so desirable if you're barely getting by.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

Which crummy community did you spend 5 years in? What made it so bad? If the place was much worse than Houston, could you have just gone to Houston after the 5 years and made a compromise on pay and quality of life? Jobs in Houston can pay extremely well with the right experience.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,204,695 times
Quote:
Which crummy community did you spend 5 years in? What made it so bad?
Wichita Falls. Great people. Terrible location. Poor long term prospects for the community from a growth perspective in our estimation. We live in Denver now. Best place I have ever lived (and I grew up in Houston). My husband (also from Houston) thinks Houston is just Meh. He is a surgeon in a very in demand field and we could literally probably go anywhere we want at any time. We always entertain our options. Constant balancing act because everyplace has pros and cons.

If you are going to spend the preponderance of your time with your family, then go for it (if the extra cost of renting someplace where the job is doesn't matter.) You are correct in the argument that you would not really be separated. The constant travel will be a pain, though. You said your in laws are retired, that gives them plenty of time to drive up and see you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment