Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Leave your spouse behind and get yourself a small apartment. Is relocating your family to be near either one of your parents desirable or a viable option? My dad was career military and he did this several times with us when he was deployed on unaccompanied tours.
We are currently in the same suburb as my wife's parents, which is huge for her. Current metro area is not ideal for me, but it's tolerable enough and has the best long term opportunities in my chosen field, that is, IF I take advantage of this particular opportunity. We also own a house in the only suburb of that whole metro area that we actually like FWIW, and have a 3% interest on 30 year mortgage, so really don't want to let that go.

Opportunity is in a location where there is practically nothing that we like to do on our free time, and it makes our current metro look like paradise.

Problem is if I don't take this opportunity, I will stagnate in my chosen field and be much more vulnerable in an industry downturn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Same here... It's been 3 1/2 years since I relocated from the undesirable Deep South to the PNW. Couldn't be happier.

Saw this top 10 list today...

It may have plenty of gray, rainy days, but Seattle also has some great coffee, a thriving music and arts scene and, most importantly, jobs. Home to Microsoft, Amazon and Boeing, among many other companies, Seattle has become an economic powerhouse, attracting tech workers, outdoors types and those seeking world-class access to arts and entertainment.

Top 10 cities people are moving to - CNNMoney

Seattle was 7th...
May read the article later, thanks. "Most importantly, jobs" may be the key phrase, IF you've got the chops to thrive here in tech, aerospace, or a few other industries. Otherwise, this place (Seattle) would be a wretched dreary wasteland. Half the year, it is. I break the monotony by taking motorcycle rides in the pouring rain and other similar stuff you "shouldn't" be able to do, but can if you put your mind to it.

Every move I've made has been "desirable," including to Seattle long ago now. That's part of the allure, a combination of economic and cultural migration. I wonder if times are such now that people sometimes must do this to places they really don't like, OP's point for-sure.

Barring major economic catastrophe (national, worldwide) might actually make it through the whole career living in places I've loved vs. some hell-hole just for economic purposes. The crash of '08-'09, however, made me realize that such situations are possible, however.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:04 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,945 times
I relocated several times for work - Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Phoenix. A few years ago I landed in Denver, the only place I have ever truly felt at home, and really loved living there. I thought it would be my forever home. But then after a couple years, what I thought was an awesome career opportunity opened up in Indianapolis, a city I knew nothing about. I moved, thinking it would be an adventure. It has been a year and a half, and I regret doing it. There's really nothing good I can say about Indianapolis, I hate it here. I plan to move back to Denver, but now trying to get a new job there is not so easy.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Let's put it this way, Houston TX metro would be considered more desirable to 99% of the nation's population than this particular location. The locals love it there, and I highly respect them for it, and I would do my best to learn the culture, but the location will never be my cup of tea any way you slice it, much less so for the rest of my family.

It has to be REALLY bad for that to be the case. What state? Indiana?

I've done it, and regretted it (Fort Wayne IN and Madisonville, KY, bailed fairly quickly), and I can be happy most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I relocated several times for work - Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Phoenix. A few years ago I landed in Denver, the only place I have ever truly felt at home, and really loved living there. I thought it would be my forever home. But then after a couple years, what I thought was an awesome career opportunity opened up in Indianapolis, a city I knew nothing about. I moved, thinking it would be an adventure. It has been a year and a half, and I regret doing it. There's really nothing good I can say about Indianapolis, I hate it here. I plan to move back to Denver, but now trying to get a new job there is not so easy.

That's Indiana! I lived in Wisconsin for many many years (and Chicago for awhile) and spent a lot of business trips going to Indianapolis (central location) and I swear, it is the worst, most boring, big city in this country.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:07 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
hmmm...would west Texas be considered "undesirable". Bascially moved out here over 3 years ago, although my main residence is in the D/FW area, to work in the oil fields...and yes the money was/is worth it!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
For me, it would depend on the length of time required and the pay.

In your situation, you could always try the commuting option for a little while and see how it works.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
May read the article later, thanks. "Most importantly, jobs" may be the key phrase, IF you've got the chops to thrive here in tech, aerospace, or a few other industries. Otherwise, this place (Seattle) would be a wretched dreary wasteland. Half the year, it is. I break the monotony by taking motorcycle rides in the pouring rain and other similar stuff you "shouldn't" be able to do, but can if you put your mind to it.

Every move I've made has been "desirable," including to Seattle long ago now. That's part of the allure, a combination of economic and cultural migration. I wonder if times are such now that people sometimes must do this to places they really don't like, OP's point for-sure.

Barring major economic catastrophe (national, worldwide) might actually make it through the whole career living in places I've loved vs. some hell-hole just for economic purposes. The crash of '08-'09, however, made me realize that such situations are possible, however.
Could be worse... I moved here after 35 years in southeast Georgia.

Literally a flat barren wasteland of pine trees... lots of sun... and from April thru September, heat and humidity. Electric bills over $400 a month from the A/C running 24/7.... 90+ temps for 6 months, 100% humidity... heat index well over 100 in June-August... Weather reports commonly say "don't go outside."

Also, a weak economy. For me that was quite undesirable.

When comparing the two it's easy for me to love everything Seattle has to offer... the jobs, the mountain scenery, the mild temps year round... and even the rain. But c'mon, we all know it doesn't rain here every day... it's just cloudy for 6 months of the year. When it does rain how often is it actually "pouring"? More often than not it's just a misty drizzle. A person doesn't even need an umbrella... and BTW, you haven't seen heavy rain and thunderstorms till you've been in the south.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It has to be REALLY bad for that to be the case. What state? Indiana?

I've done it, and regretted it (Fort Wayne IN and Madisonville, KY, bailed fairly quickly), and I can be happy most places.

That's Indiana! I lived in Wisconsin for many many years (and Chicago for awhile) and spent a lot of business trips going to Indianapolis (central location) and I swear, it is the worst, most boring, big city in this country.
I know, Indy seems like a wasteland. No beach, no skiing, not much art. Only the 500. But many have lived there a lifetime and don't want to leave.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
It's hard to imagine a place that is so undesireable that 99% of people would prefer Houston (which is definitely not everyone's cup of tea) yet the locals love it, it's established enough to have its own culture, to support good local private schools and there is a sufficient business base that a stellar career opportunity exists there. Personally, if it's THAT good of an opportunity, I'd rent out your current home and try it out. Worst case scenario, you walk away after a year or so (meaning you find a new job if relocating isn't an option) and then move. But maybe the fantastic job and what sounds like a substantial salary increase will make it tenable for the 3 or so years it takes to have this job be a stepping stone to bigger and better things in a place that is more to your liking.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
I've lived in a place I don't like for the last 25 years because of job opportunities. After a while, any place will probably grow on you a little bit. The terrible schools part doesn't describe us, though - schools are OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment