Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,636,516 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Would like to get some insight.

Finally landed an entry level software engineer role after applying and interviewing for months

Have always wanted to make a go at software development and now my opportunity has come.

Although the pay is low I am willing to do what I need to do to develop my skill set.

My biggest issue: I absolutely do not want to move to Boston where the new gig is located.

I fear that I will move to Boston and then end up getting stuck there longer than I want to be (18 months).

How do you all feel about experience trumping satisfaction of job location?

My dream is to land a software development gig in one of the southern states. The pay is not as much an issue as location.

Should I take a risk and accept the position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM

85 posts, read 121,772 times
You can always move to the southern area later, no? You need to develop your skills, and you've finally gotten a job where you'll get the experience to improve your skills. And it's not forever. It's only for 18 months.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,892,719 times
I second the above. Consider it a year and a half of boot camp before you get to start your new life in the south, if that is your goal. You will only get "stuck" there if you allow yourself to.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,324,816 times
Do it.

Without social or familial distractions you can learn the hell out of a new job, plow through the work, get the experience and in 18 months be on your way.

Just don't go into debt over this.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,467,148 times
You live in NY/NJ, and consider Boston to be worse (seems to have better quailty of life) and you would prefer to live one of the Southern states? Are you under the impression that the South is nice? Sure, if you like poor quality of life, sprawling ghettos, massive populations of illegal immigrants... No idea what the appeal is of the South.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,512,488 times
You should jump on it.

Career switches are not that easy. It is usually quite hard to get an entry-level professional job in a new field after working for a long time doing something else. So this is a rare opportunity.

After you get the skills and experience you need, you can move to wherever you like.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,849,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Should I take a risk and accept the position?
Absolutely. Mine was the other way round. I wanted to move to a big city but got my first job in a tiny southern town. Most of the time I was working so I didn't mind any lack of social life. After getting good experience I applied for jobs in bigger cities. I had my pick because of my work experience & turned down offers because of location. Looks like its your first job. First few years are a struggle but when you add good value to your resume, it will open plenty of doors for you. Start applying for new jobs after 18months-2yrs, while you are still on the job. Its easier to find a new one while you are employed. Bigger towns are great for young professionals as there is plenty of competition, entertainment & scope for growth. A lot of my colleagues from my old job in south had their first jobs in bigger towns & they moved to smaller towns after they got married as smaller towns are great for raising a family.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:06 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,636,516 times
Thanks for comments all.

My family is in the south which is why I want to move there.

Gets a bit lonely when you don't have family nearby.

My gut is telling me to take the job.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 PM

85 posts, read 121,772 times
Skype is a really good way to keep in touch. There are also several smartphone apps like Kakaotalk and FaceTime that are helpful too.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 PM

894 posts, read 1,054,612 times
Aw, I'm from Boston! What's wrong with Boston?

I would suck it up and stick out the 18 months. You'll have some money coming in and be able to gain experience in the field you want to work in. Who knows, maybe it will lead to a better opportunity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment