Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,929,800 times

Advertisements

Well paid, high quality jobs are usually located in the most desirable cities in order to attract the best talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Well paid, high quality jobs are usually located in the most desirable cities in order to attract the best talent.
Usually, yes, but not always. Oftentimes, less than desirable locations pay people very, very well because it's the only way they can recruit and retain.

But for most professional positions, I agree with you.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:37 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,245,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The more senior positions will be in more desirable locations, but I need this 'stepping stone' experience to be taken seriously for the senior positions in my chosen field in the future.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Wichita Falls. Great people. Terrible location. Poor long term prospects for the community from a growth perspective in our estimation. We live in Denver now. Best place I have ever lived (and I grew up in Houston). My husband (also from Houston) thinks Houston is just Meh. He is a surgeon in a very in demand field and we could literally probably go anywhere we want at any time. We always entertain our options. Constant balancing act because everyplace has pros and cons.

If you are going to spend the preponderance of your time with your family, then go for it (if the extra cost of renting someplace where the job is doesn't matter.) You are correct in the argument that you would not really be separated. The constant travel will be a pain, though. You said your in laws are retired, that gives them plenty of time to drive up and see you
Wichita Falls is probably in the same ballpark as this area. If I move them, we would be able to live very cheaply, save at least $3k per month after tax in addition to maxing 401k without even trying and possibly $4k every month if we tried, but we wouldn't like the location. If they stayed, we wouldn't be able to save nearly that, but my wife would be in a location she likes near her family, I could get this experience and spend weekends, holidays, and vacations together with them in places we like.

This is a tough one. I really need to take this position and get the experience, just not sure how to tackle this.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post

This is a tough one. I really need to take this position and get the experience, just not sure how to tackle this.
You just do it and both you and your family make some sacrifices. Short term concessions for long term gains.

This is how you advance up the corporate ladder. Big companies ask you to relocate and if you say No, you don't get asked again. They go to the next young, hungry guy who says "Sure, I'll relocate. When do I go?"

Old 12-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Also, remember, you make your own happiness for the most part, regardless of where you are. 80% of your day is spent doing all the same daily activities as anywhere else- at work, shopping, errands etc.

In the past decade, I have been in Midwest college towns, coastal FL, the aforementioned Wichita Falls, and now Denver. All very diverse places. I have been happy with aspects of life in all; and less than happy with some things as well. All the places were all full of wonderful people who loved where they came from. All decisions made about whether or not to relocate had both my husband and myself on the same page at the same time so we could support the decision.

That is very important. If you have that, you're golden.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Here's the monkey wrench, why we're seriously considering the 'super commuter' or weekend commuterm thing. My wife took off work to stay at home while the kids were young, but wants to go back. She is in different field than me, and her job prospects in the other area are lousy and they don't like to hire 'outsiders' as they may move away. Her job prospects in our current city are arguably one of the best if not the best in the whole country.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:35 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
One thing to consider is that if you go to a less than desirable or isolated area, it may be more difficult to get back to normal area down the line.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
One thing to consider is that if you go to a less than desirable or isolated area, it may be more difficult to get back to normal area down the line.
Yes, again why were considering being a 'super commuter' family for this specific experience, as if the primary residence is retained in the more desirable area, it would be much easier to get back, despite the short term sacrifices. I would likely see my family more than most consultants and other road warriors.

Last edited by Htown2013; 12-24-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-24-2014, 04:54 PM

Htown,

Sent you an IM. hope you got it. I am afraid I probably screwed it up. Let me know and I will resend if I need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment