Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Take the bureaucratic foot off of the neck of small businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
End tax credits for sending jobs overseas. Reduce the corporate tax, which few pay anyway. Reopen "free trade agreements," to favor employment of Americans. Start enforcing anti-dumping laws. Actually many jobs are not subject to being sent out of the country. If it were, we could solve the unemployment problem: start running the printing presses overtime, dropping the value of the dollar making US labor rates a bargain.

Last edited by pvande55; 09-20-2014 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The "cut taxes and deregulate" crowd got EVERYTHING that they wanted from 2001 to 2009. How did that turn out?

We would have to dig up Ayn Rand's corpse and elect that in order to become more deregulatory and tax-cutting than under the neo-cons of the 2K years. I cannot understand why "cut taxes and deregulate" is considered a strategy -- it hasn't worked any time that it was tried. Why would it work next time?
Yea I guess unemployment averaging under 5% for those years was too much to handle. Now we got things better right?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:11 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Stop buying imported stuff (hard to do these days)

But mostly, in my opinion, get the economy straight. Workers in other countries will work for very little. We demand $15/hr to flip burgers. Why would a company try to manufacture something in the US? Unions will hamstring them.
I hate to tell you, but at what things cost here $15 an hour doesn't even cut it!!!!!!
One mom + one child, paid $15 an hour with daycare costing $185 per week, will leave this person with $932 a month! RENT in an area safe for children in Florida with ok/good schools costs between $1600 and $2500, and if you're left with $932 how will you pay for rent and food and gas? I'm talking about Florida where there is no public transit of any sort, and rents are out of control because of all the people who move here so they don't mow snow anymore, or pay taxes. This person is bound to live in a very small apartment, in a bad area of town, and ONLY buy $hit at Walmart and the likes! how do you expect this person to afford "American Made" products? It gets a LOT worst when you have a family of 4 living off of $40k...and even worst when you have to care for an elderly because you cannot afford a home for them! Please don't give me this BS as to why those workers are asking for $15. THEY WORK, and they should be PAID according to inflation, and not according to slavery!

Sam's club gauges prices weekly, while employers don't increase salaries at all, let alone weekly!

IF you want the economy to get straight again gas should go back down to $1.28, milk should go down to $0.60, and homes go back to $95.000 4 bedroom two bath etc. And that should be EVERYWHERE so long are the "United States" are really "UNITED"!

You cannot expect American workers to live on Chinese wages with what things cost here! Common sense, not politics. Politics have just ruined all common sense here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...me-barely.html

We NEED unions here. The FRENCH have Unions and they don't live in poverty like most Americans do now!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Yea I guess unemployment averaging under 5% for those years was too much to handle. Now we got things better right?
Yeah it worked out really well. It started at 4%, before the tax cuts. After the tax cuts, it went to 10% in 2009. Labor Participation rate peaked in late 2000-early 2001, before collapsing in late 2001-2005. It paused in 2006-07, before another collapse in 2008-09.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-20-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-20-2014, 10:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Things started out fine, because it takes a little while to dismantle the largest economy on the planet.

Compare every number from the time the Smirking Chimp took office and the time that he left. And I again ask, why is "cut taxes and deregulate" even considered a strategy, much less a viable strategy?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Yeah it worked out really well. It started at 4%, before the tax cuts. After the tax cuts, it went to 10% in 2009. Labor Participation rate peaked in late 2000-early 2001, before collapsing in late 2001-2005. It paused in 2006-07, before another collapse in 2008-09.

Bush inherited a recession just like your man obozo. The rate went down after the tax cuts went ito effect.
It was the Housing Bust that caused the job losses in 2008. Fact remains that during the bush 8 years he averaged less then 5% unemployment. How about your man Obozo?. Is that crickets I hear?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
This is how I can tell I'm dealing with a neo-con. They all assume that Obama is "my man." Neo-cons don't understand, or they're too willfully-ignorant to see the difference. I don't care for Obama's policies, EITHER. Obama isn't a good president. But Bush was still down there with Harding and Andrew Johnson in the category of "worst president in history."

Furthermore, I don't care what Bush AVERAGED. I am only interested in how things were when he took office and how they were when he left. That's the Bush legacy -- crash and burn.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is how I can tell I'm dealing with a neo-con. They all assume that Obama is "my man." Neo-cons don't understand, or they're too willfully-ignorant to see the difference. I don't care for Obama's policies, EITHER. Obama isn't a good president. But Bush was still down there with Harding and Andrew Johnson in the category of "worst president in history."

Furthermore, I don't care what Bush AVERAGED. I am only interested in how things were when he took office and how they were when he left. That's the Bush legacy -- crash and burn.

Just before the summer of 2008, before the Housing Bubble Burst it was below 4.5%. If you want to believe that tax cuts caused the housing crash, good luck with that. Now your man obozo raised taxes and look how this economy has been crawling ever since.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:49 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
As for the tax cuts consider a few things.

JFK was the first tax cutter in the 1960's then taxes were cut twice by Reagan and then by Bush II.

to argue that lowering taxes doesn't help or at least regulations is foolish.

When Carter deregulated the airline industry, trucking and rail it created a boom in transportation. Prior to that those industries could compete on service....not price. As a result tens of millions could not afford to travel. Now we have southwest and jet blue and the old traditional carriers of American, United and US Airways have largely declined.

Unions are a mixed bag at best. Some are very professional and will go to the table and negotiate in good faith. Others might rant and rave and act as if they are the ONLY choice. Unions only really work in a closed environment but today there is choice in all industries for the most part.

As for neo cons frankly Obama isn't that much different then bush other then that he allowed DOMA to dissolve. We still have troops around the world. We still have a war on terrorism, a war on drugs, FISA, NSA spying etc. He hasn't changed anything.

As for Bush frankly he didn't do that much stuff different then Clinton. Continued a war on Iraq expanded PRISM from FBI's Carnivore. Supported DOMA etc.

Like it or not on the smaller level towns/cities and states compete for business. Always have and always will so to suggest that taxes and regulations play no part just does not make any sense. There are countless mill towns in the northeast of industries that left generations ago so hearing someone from down south saying "They took our jobs" is ironic since the south took them from the northeast way back when. Federal taxes are just one part of it. There are state taxes in income taxes, licenses by local governments, property taxes by local governments, regulation changes with hours etc. It wasn't until 1990 that retailer in Mass could even open on a Sunday and today there are still plenty of streets that do not allow trucks on Sundays. Plumbing laws here only allow licensed plumbers to work in walls, ceilings and floors..even if you own your home. That props up plumbers labor costs at an expense to everyone else. There's even towns where you cannot pump your own gas and as a result it is easily 10-15 cents more a gallon on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment