Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times

Advertisements

It is a two way street. If we bring all jobs back here, then other countries will take all their jobs back home. Where would this country be, if we lost 11 auto manufacturing companies in this nation when they took the factories back home. How about the big rail company back that will be building trains in the U.S. How would a lot of American workers feel, if all the electronic companies were taken back to the home country and Americans lost their jobs. And this list could go on and on, naming industries that have manufacturing facilities in the U.S.

Take one company Toyota---Toyota currently operates seven automotive plants there, four of which are in the U.S. A fifth plant is under production in Mississippi. Toyota employs 40,000 manufacturing employees in North America.

And a huge number of people to make parts for the cars.

BMW employees 1,500 workers and adding on to the factory to hire another 500. Their suppliers that make parts are around the country. In South Carolina alone, suppliers of BMW’s Spartanburg plant employ over 14,000 people.

Mexican companies own factories in the U.S. Almost 1 million Americans get their paychecks from Mexican companies.

Even Chinese and India companies are putting manufacturing facilities in the U.S. So as long as America remains one of the world’s largest consumer markets and there are enough economic incentives to move production to the U.S., the flow of global employment will run both ways.

Foreign owned companies have enough manufacturing facilities in the U.S. that 1/5th of total U.S. exports, are built by foreign owned companies. When you consider the coal, and food we ship overseas, and raw materials we ship overseas, 1/5th of total exports is a big portion of total manufactured goods being exported.

A large portion of the manufacturing jobs moved overseas from the U.S., allowed companies to stay in business. Only half or less of their employees were laid off, as in manufacturing the actual manufacturing is less than half of the total employees. When they moved manufacturing jobs overseas to stay competitive, at least half the employees kept their jobs. The other choice would have been to shut down the whole company and lay a lot more people off.

Crying that we need to bring jobs back home, hope it never happens. If we pass a law U.S. companies have to bring all manufacturing jobs back to U.S. we would lose a lot of our jobs as foreign companies moved back outside the U.S. our unemployment rate would be horrendous, and we would be in a depression not a recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The "cut taxes and deregulate" crowd got EVERYTHING that they wanted from 2001 to 2009. How did that turn out?
Yeah, sure we did. The income tax, estate tax, AMT, and corporate taxes are history. The 16th Amendment has been repealed, and the IRS is a thing of the past. Social Security is no longer mandatory, and those who choose to participate may direct the investment of their contributions into mutual funds. Permits to build new oil refineries are fast-tracked to approval. Environmental regulations have been rolled back to allow faster & less costly highway construction and power plant expansion. Drivers receive a fuel tax refund for all gallons burned while driving on toll roads. Oxygenated fuel (ethanol) was outlawed, and the EPA finally accepted the fact that emissions controls that reduce an engine's efficiency result in more fuel being burned (and thus more emissions being discharged) to do the same amount of work.
/sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We would have to dig up Ayn Rand's corpse and elect that in order to become more deregulatory and tax-cutting than under the neo-cons of the 2K years. I cannot understand why "cut taxes and deregulate" is considered a strategy -- it hasn't worked any time that it was tried. Why would it work next time?
It hasn't been tried with deep enough cuts & rollbacks, nor for a long enough period of time, for the benefits to become evident.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Stop out sourcing, educate youth to make better quality here to buy.
The problem isn't outsourcing.

Notice how manufacturing output has steadily increased as employment in manufacturing continues to drop.

Robots and technology.

But it isn't just in manufacturing.

I design and sell fire sprinkler systems and when I started in the mid 1970's a system designed to protect a metal manufacturing plant would end up selling for $1.25 per sq ft. in 1976 dollars. Adjusted for inflation $1.25 in 1976 was equivalent to $5.23 today.

I remember the time well and I can not recall ever selling a system, even the simplest system, for less than $1.00 per sq *** which would be equivalent to $4.18 today.

Today the typical simple system sells for $1.10 per sq ft measured in 2014 dollars which is equivalent to $0.26 in 1976 dollars.

Any way you cut it systems today cost less than a third, in terms of real dollars adjusted for inflation, of what they cost 38 years ago.

How did this happen?

In 1976 all our pipe and fittings were schedule 40 with threaded ends using threaded cast iron fittings that were very time consuming to put together. A 10' length of 4" schedule 40 pipe weighed 10.79 lbs per foot for 107.9 lbs for 10' but with a threaded tee on the end we could easily call it 125 plus lbs.

That's a lot of weight that took a long time to install. Installing and making on a single could take two men a couple hours.

I can't tell you the last time I saw a piece of sch. 40 pipe with a threaded end and fitting. At least 30 years.

Today we use Dynaflow pipe with grooved ends and fittings. For comparison a 10' length of 4" Dynaflow weighs 4.473 lbs per foot for 44.73 lbs and with a grooved fitting total weight might be 55 lbs as compared to125 lbs.

Back in the day it would take 30 minutes to make on (thread on) a 4" threaded elbow but today we don't use threaded we used grooved. How long does it take? If you are really bored
here's a video showing it takes 1 minute 18 seconds to do what it used to take at least 30 minutes to do.

In 1976 a two man crew was doing a great job if they could put up small (1" to 2" pipe) branch line piping at the rate of 60 heads a day. The way we do it today I get ticked if my two man crew can't put up 200 heads in a day and they should get 250 to 300 heads if that is all they are doing. Everything we do takes a third of the man power it used to take.

I represent a small part of a small industry but what I have witnessed in my lifetime is happening all across the board in every field.

When I started I worked on a drafting table with lead pencils where today my job is done using rather sophisticated cad systems where everything is drawn up in 3D with hydraulic calculations done simultaneously. What used to take me a week to do in 1985 I can do in a single day with a long lunch hour.

So it isn't "the man" keeping you down with the Koch Brothers killing off the middle class. It's technology and manufacturing is still here but you ain't doing it.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:14 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Why not? What's more important -- putting Americans to work, or protecting business profits?
The two are not mutually exclusive. Profitable businesses are the ones that grow, and thus hire more employees.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Oh please, and where do you suppose Apple's HQ is located? Google? Twitter? eBay? Juniper?

California is still miles ahead of Texas in high tech. Those businesses that are further in the life cycle, and therefore depend on lower costs, are the ones moving to Texas.
Example headquarters of Apple is still in California, BUT the new facilities are not being put in the Silicon Valley. Apple takes a big part of their profits out of California so they don't pay California taxes. They hold all of their patents in a small office in Nevada. They pay much of their profits as payment on the patents, and skip a huge amount of taxes that California wants.

Then they move their taxes off shore.

Apple Used Loopholes To Skip Paying U.S. Taxes On $44 Billion In Offshore Income, Senate Committee Claims - Forbes

Apple is such a good California company but uses every loophole to keep from paying taxes saving them Billions in taxes.

Of course Google is just as bad, about paying taxes.

DailyTech - Google Avoids Paying $1.6 Billion USD In Taxes, UK PM Speaks Out

Old 09-26-2014, 03:01 AM

76 posts, read 91,460 times
Capitalism today isn't the capitalism of your Father the lawlessness, greed, and catering to shareholders is so excessive in comparison to the corporate morality of the 1950's-1960's.

That's not my point though the US economy has been inflated by 3 consecutive bubbles! With no bubble currently inflating the US economy this is the new NORMAL.

Everything in the US is for profit the current elephant in the room is the educational debacle where for profit colleges fleece our youth as they buy hopes and dreams of a equally inflated education. When it pops they our youth carry the empty bag!! WE are the only country in the world that allows such a thing. FAFSA is a joke and imo 90% of the colleges out there should be guilty of financial aid fraud for the education they provide and the prices they charge.

NOTHING HAS RISEN AS FAST AS COLLEGE TUITIONS!! All propped up by the free money of the federal government it's truly a travesty! We have perpetual students who never work a day in there life. They go from undgergrad, graduate school, right into teaching at a college......self perpetuating prophecy!

Enjoy the new normal, the new even bigger government that will be here next year because regardless who wins government spending never shrinks never has, China will continue to grow and become the largest economy as we become like Europe. Thankfully this will take another 30-40 years, so must of us will be okay and dead!!

Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 AM

76 posts, read 91,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Yea I guess unemployment averaging under 5% for those years was too much to handle. Now we got things better right?
Bubbles easy credit inflated housing market what happened when it popped?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:44 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Cut off their client base. No American customers if no American jobs. Of course that would take away our liberty...

Old 09-26-2014, 03:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The two are not mutually exclusive. Profitable businesses are the ones that grow, and thus hire more employees.
That is if the company wants to. The profitable business today mostly sit on their cash, not spend it to hire more like they use to. Except retail and the food industry, they'll create jobs because they only pay employees peanuts anyway.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:40 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,741 times
i don't know, lower taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment