Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 AM

303 posts, read 396,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

If it is just to save jobs, then we should run all illegal immigrants out of the country, as they are taking a lot of jobs. Example: A recent study found that 1 in 10 jobs in California alone are held by illegal immigrants.

I am not making this as a racial rant, just stating a fact. There are people that are demanding this happen, just as others are demanding companies stop sending jobs overseas. Neither is the solution that makes sense in this country today, and the ones making those demands as this thread is based on, are demanding things with no real understanding of the total picture.

Take a look at the chart a few pages down - "Figure 5."
Are these the types of jobs that Americans crave? Are the wages from those positions likely to rise to levels that would be enough to get families off of the dole, in the absence of illegal immigrants to perform them? Those are *McJobs, waiting in the wings. Tussle over them, and the people who are actually in charge will continue laughing at us all.

*some of them are literally jobs at McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM

1,274 posts, read 980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post

Take a look at the chart a few pages down - "Figure 5."
Are these the types of jobs that Americans crave? Are the wages from those positions likely to rise to levels that would be enough to get families off of the dole, in the absence of illegal immigrants to perform them? Those are *McJobs, waiting in the wings. Tussle over them, and the people who are actually in charge will continue laughing at us all.

*some of them are literally jobs at McDonald's.
Americans would love to work in McDonald, everyone knows that .
In time of crisis, it's always good to find a reason why things are not working. I often hope we all realize nothing is that simple but sometimes, the temptation to simply the problem is much easier than anything else.

Of course, I do not pretend to have the absolute answer but maybe there is just a structural issue with this society and its value.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Americans would love to work in McDonald, everyone knows that .
In time of crisis, it's always good to find a reason why things are not working. I often hope we all realize nothing is that simple but sometimes, the temptation to simply the problem is much easier than anything else.

Of course, I do not pretend to have the absolute answer but maybe there is just a structural issue with this society and its value.
I think the thing is they are just talking about even more McJobs rather than "actual jobs" that we need created to help the economy.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
This is a spin-off from a reply I posted in a recent thread:
Does the employment situation in the U.S. seem like a self-perpetuating problem?

The root cause is very obvious. You found a loophole in your system to harass job creators, so they found a loophole to put you out of your jobs. The truth is diffcult to digest but this is whats going on......

Wealthy people & corporations are NOT EVIL. Companies are run by some of the smartest people who create jobs & run the economy. Sure they work for profit but they re-invest it back & branch out their business, creating more opportunities for the people here. Over the years it has become very difficult to run a profitable business in usa. Here's why:
- Regulations are very strict & human rights/environment/animal activists are very strong here. Any mistake on their part is severely punished by lawsuits & heavy settlements. Mcdonald's coffee was few degrees hot & the clumsy woman who spilled it sued the corporation for millions. That cuts into their profit & they have to make it up by slashing jobs, pay cuts. And you wonder why Burger King moved their headquarters to a different country. They cannot do animal testing, dispose their waste or treat less qualified workers differently because they are of a certain race or gender & they will sue you for discrimination.
- Paying health insurance for employees is very expensive. Because of human rights, people can sue hospitals for millions so hospitals are heavily insured & that skyrockets the healthcare costs.
- There is a lack of interest in science & technology. The demand for medicine & technology is very high here & yet not enough people interested in these fields in usa, compared to asian countries.

- Immigrants workers are over-qualified, underpaid & overworked. Companies dont even have to sponsor their H1 or pay benefits as the consultants will take care of that. So why pay an american citizen extra money, benefits & promote them regularly when you get immigrants who are willing to work free overtime & stay in same position for years, just to stay in the country?
- India & China are leaders in science & maths. Arts & other subjects are not popular with kids in these countries. Science & maths are the only degrees that can find you a decent job there. Unemployment rates are very high in these countries so even an engineer, MBA doesn't mind working at a call center. You dont need health insurance in these countries as healthcare is very cheap. Human rights, animal rights, environmental laws are very relaxed so you dont have to worry about getting sued. Making a product in 3rd world countries & selling them in usa is a very high profit margin. Not just the profit, but you can even mess up a little & people will ignore it because they desperately need jobs. So the govt & people will bend backwards to keep you in their country.

This is how you fix it:
- Respect your job creators. You & your skills are easily replaceable so keep learning, growing in your job & become very competitive to stay the best in your field. Dont leave your job for raising a family as you will become unemployable if you take a break. Even if you have to invest your salary in daycare, keep your job just to practice your skills.
- Re-evaluate your laws about suing for damages. Give companies, hospitals some margin for error so that they dont go out of business by paying for lawsuits. Healthcare costs will go down if the hospitals dont have to pay high insurance costs that cover liability. Set a reasonable limit for how much you can sue a business. You are dealing with some of the brightest minds in the world & they have found ways to keep their profits by hiring immigrants & outsourcing. So dont screw with them.
- Push your kids into pursuing science & maths degrees. Stop paying for useless college degrees that dont have any value in real world. Look around you & see how much dependent you have become on technology. Would you rather buy an expensive painting every month or pay your cell phone bills? Its about demand & supply. Whether you like it or not, study the subjects that guarantee you a job for life.
In other words, you believe in the corporate religion of supply side economics. Also known as 'trickle down economics'.
Supply side economics has never worked, and it's certainly not going to work now!

And pushing your kids into science fixes nothing. It might help your kid, but I guarantee you that if enough parents push their kids into getting hard science degrees their kids will be in the same boat as everyone else- too many people chasing too few jobs.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,698,911 times
Start a war. Works every time.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM

820 posts, read 1,210,131 times
Everyone can work for the government, and pay 100% tax which will allow you to have government home, car, and food. Problem solved!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Start a war. Works every time.
No, not entirely. For one Vietnam was during an ecomic boom, yet we saw it end during the beginning of the oil crisis. Plus WWII didn't end The Great Depression, at least until after it ended and we brought the returning soldiers back into the labor force. In fact, in 1945 after the war ended, the US was in a brief economic recession. The Great Depression Was Ended by the End of World War II, Not the Start of It - Forbes

Old 09-19-2014, 01:10 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
In other words, you believe in the corporate religion of supply side economics. Also known as 'trickle down economics'.
Supply side economics has never worked, and it's certainly not going to work now!

And pushing your kids into science fixes nothing. It might help your kid, but I guarantee you that if enough parents push their kids into getting hard science degrees their kids will be in the same boat as everyone else- too many people chasing too few jobs.
Never worked? It brought better technologies to people which lessened the need for their environment to assist them.

If you subsidize supply prices go down which creates equity. If you subsidize demand prices go UP.

Supply examples are food, student lunch program and energy

Demand examples are student loans, the medical industry and to a point cars (cash for clunkers).

Some might argue that we should somehow preserve the concept of higher prices..but who would benefit from that? I like the fact that I can call people up dirt cheap around the world. I rather not go back to the 1960's when someone calling LA from NYC took ten minutes to connect. I rather get photos emailed to me rather then wait a few weeks at the post office. I rather download music instantly then wait for say BMG or columbia house to get it.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,168,916 times
The only way to bring jobs back to the USA is to make American labor less costly than foreign labor.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post

I see that that as the problem. The supply of workers being the problem. A 3.5 or higher STEM major should be able to get a STEM job, if the supply shoots up it may require a 3.75 or even a 4.0 from specific schools to do it (currently roughly the case in other majors.) The supply of people makes some jobs low wage and others be high demand (the trades in some areas of the nation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment