Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a difference between made in America and assembled in America.
We're talking about jobs, though, and that creates a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:54 AM

498 posts, read 979,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Most people see the terms offshoring and outsourcing as synonymous, but it's pretty clear that she's talking about the former.
I thought so too so I asked earlier in this thread which one she was complaining about, and she said both.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,073,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
This is a spin-off from a reply I posted in a recent thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post36543874

The root cause is very obvious. You found a loophole in your system to harass job creators, so they found a loophole to put you out of your jobs. The truth is diffcult to digest but this is whats going on......

Wealthy people & corporations are NOT EVIL. Companies are run by some of the smartest people who create jobs & run the economy. Sure they work for profit but they re-invest it back & branch out their business, creating more opportunities for the people here. Over the years it has become very difficult to run a profitable business in usa. Here's why:
- Regulations are very strict & human rights/environment/animal activists are very strong here. Any mistake on their part is severely punished by lawsuits & heavy settlements. Mcdonald's coffee was few degrees hot & the clumsy woman who spilled it sued the corporation for millions. That cuts into their profit & they have to make it up by slashing jobs, pay cuts. And you wonder why Burger King moved their headquarters to a different country. They cannot do animal testing, dispose their waste or treat less qualified workers differently because they are of a certain race or gender & they will sue you for discrimination.
- Paying health insurance for employees is very expensive. Because of human rights, people can sue hospitals for millions so hospitals are heavily insured & that skyrockets the healthcare costs.
- There is a lack of interest in science & technology. The demand for medicine & technology is very high here & yet not enough people interested in these fields in usa, compared to asian countries.

- Immigrants workers are over-qualified, underpaid & overworked. Companies dont even have to sponsor their H1 or pay benefits as the consultants will take care of that. So why pay an american citizen extra money, benefits & promote them regularly when you get immigrants who are willing to work free overtime & stay in same position for years, just to stay in the country?
- India & China are leaders in science & maths. Arts & other subjects are not popular with kids in these countries. Science & maths are the only degrees that can find you a decent job there. Unemployment rates are very high in these countries so even an engineer, MBA doesn't mind working at a call center. You dont need health insurance in these countries as healthcare is very cheap. Human rights, animal rights, environmental laws are very relaxed so you dont have to worry about getting sued. Making a product in 3rd world countries & selling them in usa is a very high profit margin. Not just the profit, but you can even mess up a little & people will ignore it because they desperately need jobs. So the govt & people will bend backwards to keep you in their country.

This is how you fix it:
- Respect your job creators. You & your skills are easily replaceable so keep learning, growing in your job & become very competitive to stay the best in your field. Dont leave your job for raising a family as you will become unemployable if you take a break. Even if you have to invest your salary in daycare, keep your job just to practice your skills.
- Re-evaluate your laws about suing for damages. Give companies, hospitals some margin for error so that they dont go out of business by paying for lawsuits. Healthcare costs will go down if the hospitals dont have to pay high insurance costs that cover liability. Set a reasonable limit for how much you can sue a business. You are dealing with some of the brightest minds in the world & they have found ways to keep their profits by hiring immigrants & outsourcing. So dont screw with them.
- Push your kids into pursuing science & maths degrees. Stop paying for useless college degrees that dont have any value in real world. Look around you & see how much dependent you have become on technology. Would you rather buy an expensive painting every month or pay your cell phone bills? Its about demand & supply. Whether you like it or not, study the subjects that guarantee you a job for life.
There is so much bias, and opinion in your post, and yet no citation or credible cause-effect relationship argument.

These types of posts are my favorite on City-Data. Someone who knows for sure what the "root cause" is to a very complex, multi-variable problem.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,844,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Are you really complaining about outsourcing, or just offshoring?
PS: Sorry for confusion. By OUTSOURCING I mean OFFSHORING to another country.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,844,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
There is so much bias, and opinion in your post, and yet no citation or credible cause-effect relationship argument.

These types of posts are my favorite on City-Data. Someone who knows for sure what the "root cause" is to a very complex, multi-variable problem.
I dont. Thats why I am posting here. I am not an expert on the subject thats why I want others to weigh in. Sorry i confused outsourcing with offshoring

Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I dont. Thats why I am posting here. I am not an expert on the subject thats why I want others to weigh in. Sorry i confused outsourcing with offshoring
I believe you did write this: "The root-cause is very obvious". No?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Where does one go to purchase American made products? My 2014 Ford was built here but has an engine from the UK, transmission from Spain, and probably many other parts from China. After seeing a Food Network TV show about the Lodge cast iron cookware factory in Tennessee we bought a dutch oven, only to find "Made in China" on it. When looking at TVs we saw one that said "Made in USA" in large letters on the box. The fine print below said "Assembled in Detroit from parts made in China." Someone who really wants to buy domestic will have to be retired to have the time to do the research, and by then probably can't afford the prices anyway.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Where does one go to purchase American made products? My 2014 Ford was built here but has an engine from the UK, transmission from Spain, and probably many other parts from China. After seeing a Food Network TV show about the Lodge cast iron cookware factory in Tennessee we bought a dutch oven, only to find "Made in China" on it. When looking at TVs we saw one that said "Made in USA" in large letters on the box. The fine print below said "Assembled in Detroit from parts made in China." Someone who really wants to buy domestic will have to be retired to have the time to do the research, and by then probably can't afford the prices anyway.
Exactly. Protectionism is simply not an answer. It is about as effective as telling teenagers to abstain from sex.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,839,246 times
the freedom of choice is vital above all so frankly you can't blame outsourcing or offshoring. In some respects the costs of operating in the country vary quite a bit even within a state.
Nuclea Biotechnologies in Pittsfield hopes to relocate manufacturing to old GE site from Cambridge | masslive.com
$60 vs $12 dollars a sq ft for operating.

Some talk about bringing back manufacturing without realizing that a fair amount is s till conducted in the USA. Manufacturing does not automatically mean jobs.

I think we are going to see reinvestment and development of rust belt cities. Simply going overseas and assuming things are cheaper is not always the case when you have to deal with foreign taxes, foreign regulations, time differences, currency rates, shipping times, fuel costs etc. When there is domestically or at least continental production and communications without the need to move at a comparable cost which has been evident given the inflation in Asia. Factoring in crowdsourcing, crowdfunding and 3d printers and frankly we are going to see a significant shift in production.

This does not mean we bring back the old grunt factories of the past that allowed anyone walking in the door to get a pension. But it does allow for zero marginal cost and a smaller supply chain.

We also have people consuming less for two reasons:

1) As people get older they consume less. The baby boomers are the most wealthiest demographic but they are not going to consume as much because frankly they already have everything already. Cars, houses, tv's etc. There's a limit to how much stuff people can buy

2) Technologies replaced quite a bit. I saw a 25 year old sony advertisement showing a camcorder, portable tv, tape deck, cd player, VCR, a cell phone, a CB etc. Now that's all a smartphone.

If you want a better economy I would say hire younger workers, tip more at restaurants, pay your interns and would it kill us to buy something local? Although it is 2014 not everything is fully promoted. There's a finnish bath place practically 1/4 of a mile from my house. I've been here since '93 and didn't know about it until last year. Website but no marketing.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 AM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
My vehicle is american made, some clothes are, jewelry, make-up..etc.

I rather give money to my country's citizens.

Mine was built in Japan. I'd rather give money to whoever does the best job. I've had cars that were made in America too. My Honda Accord was American made. Good car, nothing against American-made whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment