Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:32 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,460,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's an absurd idea. It makes absolutely no sense to penalize small businesses that can't afford to hire full time accountants or plumbers. Do you want to be penalized when you visit a dentist rather than hiring one full time?
Stop being pedantic. Clearly he was referring to offshoring and not outsourcing work to another person. What purpose did your post serve? What do you gain by playing dumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:34 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,460,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Fixed. Outsourcing is one thing, off-shoring is fairly similar but more defined to being actually sending jobs to China or Taiwan rather than outsourcing which just means another company handles a non-core component for you (say call centers.)

As I mentioned above, outsourcing itself is fine and actually allows a company to worry about core things and even lower costs while still keeping jobs in America. Off-shoring does not keep jobs and ultimately hurts the economy with less economic players.
Clearly the post mentioning "outsourcing" was referring to "offshoring" which is commonly called "outsourcing" in America. Are you guys just not familiar with American English and vernacular? Do you not watch the news?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,983,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Clearly the post mentioning "outsourcing" was referring to "offshoring" which is commonly called "outsourcing" in America. Are you guys just not familiar with American English and vernacular? Do you not watch the news?
I do. I stayed awake during human resource management and international management when off-shoring vs outsourcing were mentioned. This is why I described it and explained it to those posters.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,515,940 times
The root cause is obvious, just as I stated in your other thread.

It's the poor economy. Why can't you see this? You wish to look at the jobs issue in a vacuum, of job-related issues, like off-shoring and immigrants using visas to work here. That stuff has been going on for decades. You'd hate to be hangin' since "Made in America" was a common sight. The only thing I agree with so far is that consumerism has been enabled by a credit binge, which is sputtering out.

Go back and read your history. Unemployment such as we have now is what happens during recessions. Go back and read about the Great Depression of the 1930's. Now there was some unemployment for you! Unions didn't do squat to end the problem. WWII ended it.

Looks like WWIII will have to end this one for us. And that'll be what we're getting, too.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 PM

21,938 posts, read 25,303,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Familiar enough I'm aware of the well-deserved ridicule of the Washington Post when they conflated the two.

It might be common, but that does mean it's correct. It just means people are commonly wrong.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,717,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The root cause is obvious, just as I stated in your other thread.

It's the poor economy. Why can't you see this? You wish to look at the jobs issue in a vacuum, of job-related issues, like off-shoring and immigrants using visas to work here. That stuff has been going on for decades. You'd hate to be hangin' since "Made in America" was a common sight. The only thing I agree with so far is that consumerism has been enabled by a credit binge, which is sputtering out.

Go back and read your history. Unemployment such as we have now is what happens during recessions. Go back and read about the Great Depression of the 1930's. Now there was some unemployment for you! Unions didn't do squat to end the problem. WWII ended it.

Looks like WWIII will have to end this one for us. And that'll be what we're getting, too.
I am crossing my fingers in hoping you know why WWII ended the depression. *Sits and waits for answer*

Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Here is a question to you all. You want to keep jobs in the USA, but what is the last thing you bought that was Made in the US? I bet you balked at the fact that US made stuff is more expensive than the cheap Asian imports, so you went with the cheaper option.
I'm a label reader; I try to buy American whenever possible and if that means I have to wait longer, spend a bit more, or sometimes even do without something...so be it.

All of my plates and bowls were made in the USA. So was my everyday cutlery (garage sale FTW) and most of my bakeware. About 50% of my kitchen gadgets were made in this country, too. My car was built here. My couch was made here. So was my TV console. About 50-60% of my tools were made in the USA.

I also refuse to hire illegal laborers to work on my property.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,983,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I am crossing my fingers in hoping you know why WWII ended the depression. *Sits and waits for answer*
*hint* it wasn't the way, economists don't credit wars for ending recessions.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,307,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Smart kids have been bullied for years; nothing new there. Most Americans believe that kids here should be well-rounded ( educated, athletic and able to communicate effectively ) and not singularly focused on science and math. And don't kid yourself ... there are plenty of American kids who do fall into the "nerd" stereotype. Asian kids see gaining intelligence in science and math as a way to escape the squalor most of them grew up in. American kids don't have to escape anything ....
Haha ...Asian kids know that no matter how hard they try they probably won't be well rounded. I am not an asian but I would say its just not the kids but the parents involvement in steering their kids towards their own motives and practical ambitions. Rather then let the kids decide if they want to do a major in theatre or arts, most of the asian parents try to steer their kids towards engineering or computer science or other high earning professions from a younger age. A typical asian kid grows up dreaming to make it big and live the American dream and the parents are supportive whereas a typical American parent is waiting eagerly when the kid turns 18 and moves out of their house. Many asian parents with joint family system think of kids as a retirement investment where as others look at them as an obstruction to their early retirement. Its mainly a cultural thing. Its general tendency not to appreciate things if they just get handed to you by the system rather than work hard for it.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,808,465 times
The majority of posters on this thread, have no idea of what is the truth, and what is fiction.

Yes the U.S. business have moved some businesses overseas. Imagine you are a U.S. manufacturing company. Your business is very labor intensive, and the price is low. You find that you can no longer manufacturer in this country due to international competition, and have 2 choices. 1--Go out of business, and lay your work force of 300 people off, and go broke and investors lose all of their investment. 2--Do the manufacturing overseas, and only have to lay off 150 people which were the manufacturing workers, and stay open and keep 150 people working (the non manufacturing workers) and the company stays afloat, and the investors do not go broke. Common sense says that choice #2 is the best route to take.

Some of the posters, bragged that they bought American made cars. Were these from General Motors, or Ford, or one of the other 11 foreign owned manufacturing plants in the United States.

Here are just some of the foreign owned companies with major facilities in the U.S.

The Largest Foreign Investments In The U.S. - Forbes

Fact: U.S. exports a lot of goods from wheat, to coal, to manufactured goods.

Fact: 1/5th of all American exports are made in the Foreign Owned U.S. manufacturing plants.

The majority of manufacturing jobs moved overseas, are labor intensive and low value products. The majority of jobs moved from overseas to the U.S. are well paying jobs.

We have workers here in this country that come here to take well paying jobs. On the other hand, we have an awful lot of Americans working in other countries in real well paid positions. This is actually a 2 way street.

Too many people in the U.S. believe we export jobs, and have no idea we also import jobs (foreign owned U.S. facilities).

If we stop exporting jobs, the other countries would stop us from importing jobs from other countries. It is a two way street, and we would be the big losers. A lot of jobs would be lost, when companies shut down instead of being able to export the manufacturing, and would also lay off all the other workers, due to no longer being able to build a product that could be sold in this country. A lot of jobs would be lost when they closed down foreign owned plants and facilities in this country. A lot of jobs would be lost, when we cut off the exporting of goods made by foreign owned facilities in the U.S. We would have a real depression not just a recession in the U.S. one from which the country may never recover.

If it is just to save jobs, then we should run all illegal immigrants out of the country, as they are taking a lot of jobs. Example: A recent study found that 1 in 10 jobs in California alone are held by illegal immigrants.

I am not making this as a racial rant, just stating a fact. There are people that are demanding this happen, just as others are demanding companies stop sending jobs overseas. Neither is the solution that makes sense in this country today, and the ones making those demands as this thread is based on, are demanding things with no real understanding of the total picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment