Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:24 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,602,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
We decked their bedrooms with the latest electronic gadgetry, bought them cars, cellphones, laptops, ensured their clothes were washed and food ready upon their arrival, etc. Having been receipients of such luxuries, who in their right mind would want to leave the comfort of mommy's and daddy's home?

I plead absolutely guilty of having been such a parent. Thinking I was giving my three children "a leg up" on life, I ensured they had all the material things listed above. Their mother ensured food was always available, clothes were always washed, and that their chores were minimal. End result? At ages 21, 24, and 26 all still live at home.
I am not sure you should attempt to generalize your personal experience to an entire generation.

My youngest brother was treated similarly to your kids and yet he went to art school and never moved back home after he enrolled in college at 18.

I didn't get spoiled with everything I wanted, but I didn't have to do many chores, I did get a car when I turned 16, I didn't have to pay for insurance, but I wanted to start working when I turned 16 and got my first job at McDonald's.

I grew up in a financially secure middle-class to slightly upper middle class home, went to private high school, had my college paid for....

but despite all that "spoiling" I've always had a lot of motivation and wanted to work, earn money, and have a career.

I used my 1.5 years of living at home after undergrad to save a lot of money and decide what my next step in life was.

I think its important to not be too simplistic in one's analysis of this issue- there are many factors at play and they are going to be different for each person and each family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,710,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am so sorry. I have another question for everyone. Why is it that if a Gen-Yer wants a job that pays the bills, it is considered entitlement? Yet, if an older person wants a fat union pension it is just that he/she worked hard all their lives and deserves it?

All I want is a job that pays the bills. Necessities like a cheap apartment, even a small studio would be nice. I don't care if I have a brand new car, just something that runs. I would like to be able to buy my medication and not have to choose if I should buy food or medication for the week. I don't care if I ever own an IPad or IPod as those are not necessities. I don't care if I ever have internet access because I can use free wi-fi at various locations. I would like to be able to save a little and get my student loans out of forebearance. I don't even need cable tv with the availability of Netflix and free entertainment activities. I don't care if I make $100,000, nor do I expect it without working my way up. $30,000 would be nice though. What is so wrong with my generation wanting a job that pays necessities?
yes me also. i would like to have enough money to have somewhere to live or at least sleep at night and have health insurance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment