Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,303,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Agree. Depends on the kid also. Did they just graduate with their AA with a 2.0 gpa? Did they just finish with a 3.8 from a top school? I'd say those are two different things.
Regardless the kid still has to find a job and save before moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Y
The day of the $400,000 starter home might be gone -- but a working couple should be able to afford a $100,000 even without 6-figure incomes.
Um, no. Not when the working couple lives in a major metro area like outside NYC, LA, Chicago, and so on.

They can, however, choose to move.

Don't forget BUYING a house is a lot different than keeping up the mortgage payments with a shrinking paycheck.

Oh, and once the kids come, figure at least a quarter of that income, if not half will be gone. (either by childcare or because Mom or Dad stays home).

I don't disagree with part of your statement. People do think they need 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms( sometimes) instead of a small ranch or small track house to 'impress others' or because they grew up in one.

It's just not feasible to say "Every working couple should be able to afford a $100,000." Not when you may $10/hr as a secretary and your husband makes $10/hr as a clerk. How do you PAY RENT and save up for a down payment?

What about people who get paid minimum wage?

Banks want a good chunk of change now when you buy.

And taxes GO UP every year.

Throw unemployment in the mix or illness or like I said, pregnancy, and you have several reasons why all working couples cannot afford to buy or maintain a home.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,804,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Um, no. Not when the working couple lives in a major metro area like outside NYC, LA, Chicago, and so on.

They can, however, choose to move.

Don't forget BUYING a house is a lot different than keeping up the mortgage payments with a shrinking paycheck.

Oh, and once the kids come, figure at least a quarter of that income, if not half will be gone. (either by childcare or because Mom or Dad stays home).

I don't disagree with part of your statement. People do think they need 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms( sometimes) instead of a small ranch or small track house to 'impress others' or because they grew up in one.

It's just not feasible to say "Every working couple should be able to afford a $100,000." Not when you may $10/hr as a secretary and your husband makes $10/hr as a clerk. How do you PAY RENT and save up for a down payment?

What about people who get paid minimum wage?

Banks want a good chunk of change now when you buy.

And taxes GO UP every year.

Throw unemployment in the mix or illness or like I said, pregnancy, and you have several reasons why all working couples cannot afford to buy or maintain a home.
Great post. That dose of reality was sorely needed in this thread.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM

750 posts, read 1,450,197 times
Lack of jobs that pay anywhere near a living wage. The fact is most job growth is in low wage service sector work. Future job growth will be in things like fast food worker and home health aid. Seven out of ten of the fastest growing jobs are low wage job. These are from BLS reports not some off the wall media outlet. One of our biggest areas of growth today temp jobs. It has been like that the last three years. So it is little wonder to me why kids are living at home. Add in freelance jobs part time work and internships that pay nothing. Sh*it pay no stable job= no moving out it is that simple.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,312 times
True, College Guy!

I remember years ago when they were predicting 'where the jobs will be' and the majority were to be in service/retail.

I said to myself, how are people supposed to support themselves in 'service' or retail with the wages they pay and how LONG it takes to work yourself up to a fair wage in those fields.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,719,028 times
i use to look at 20somethings with no job as lazy bums who were pathetic and couldn't..didn't want to do any better. until i graduated... i had been force fed that bull**** that if i worked hard in school that it would all pay off. oh how delusional i was. i have work experience and internship experience and i am unemployed. not even retail will hire me.. i have considered stripping or high class prostitution (ever heard of seekingarrangement.com?) but i still have some sort of dignity left. don't know how long that will last.now everyone wants you to work either for free for absurd amount of time (1-2years) with no promise of a job at the end or you have to have so much experience at entry level that you can't get the job if you wanted to..i was just like most people in this thread, being un-empathetic and arrogant about the future...how easy the tables have turned since the mark of graduation.

Last edited by L'Artiste; 01-23-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM

5,911 posts, read 4,495,825 times
I still live at home at 22.

I'm in year 5 of a 5 year degree program, and I've worked the entire time in a maintenance job the first 2 years, then various internships in industry and public accounting....getting good grades and being involved. I pay for my own school, car and stuff, but I don't pay rent or anything like that.

I don't consider myself lazy and worthless for still living at home. My parents have always been supportive. It's not like I'm sitting at home with no end in sight drinking and leaving pizza boxes lying around. I'm moving towards a goal with a pretty high work ethic and ambition.

If I was still here after passing the CPA exam and pushing 30 or something...maybe it would be bad...but (maybe it's just me), I don't see 22 being THAT bad at this point. I'd like to get married

Last edited by Thatsright19; 01-23-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM

917 posts, read 2,012,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The only issue of living with your parents as an adult is you have NO PRIVACY.
So true.

I live at home with my family. I have a job but it's not enough to pay NYC rent. I would love to live on my own. It can be VERY hard living with family as an adult.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I still live at home at 22.

I'm in year 5 of a 5 year degree program, and I've worked the entire time in a maintenance job the first 2 years, then various internships in industry and public accounting....getting good grades and being involved. I pay for my own school, car and stuff, but I don't pay rent or anything like that.

I don't consider myself lazy and worthless for still living at home. My parents have always been supportive. It's not like I'm sitting at home with no end in sight drinking and leaving pizza boxes lying around. I'm moving towards a goal with a pretty high work ethic and ambition.

If I was still here after passing the CPA exam and pushing 30 or something...maybe it would be bad...but (maybe it's just me), I don't see 22 being THAT bad at this point. I'd like to get married
You are 22 and still in the process of completing a degree. We are talking about people who are 29 and older.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
So true.

I live at home with my family. I have a job but it's not enough to pay NYC rent. I would love to live on my own. It can be VERY hard living with family as an adult.
And it felt so weird to take a grown woman to my upstairs bedroom like i was in 10th grade which is why I decided to stop inviting girls over the last year of living with my mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment