Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM

981 posts, read 1,629,681 times

Advertisements

I have made a lot of mistakes in my life. I am a Gen-Y that has never moved out of the house despite being in my mid-20s. Much of it has been my fault, although it hasn't been helped by economy. All I can say is that it sucks and that I am getting out of here as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,689,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And it felt so weird to take a grown woman to my upstairs bedroom like i was in 10th grade which is why I decided to stop inviting girls over the last year of living with my mom.
I know what you are saying. I am a woman and I don't date much right now because there is no privacy. If I do find a guy who is interested I usually just text. It is weird even trying to having a phone conversation with guys right now. I basically decided that maybe I shouldn't date until I have my own place.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM

981 posts, read 1,629,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I know what you are saying. I am a woman and I don't date much right now because there is no privacy. If I do find a guy who is interested I usually just text. It is weird even trying to having a phone conversation with guys right now. I basically decided that maybe I shouldn't date until I have my own place.
As have I.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 PM

547 posts, read 943,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Now if someone is still at home at 29 and 30 then that's odd.
I turned 30 last month and I still live with my parents. I just got a contract job that pays 14 dollars an hour that will last a few months, maybe. Will it lead anywhere? Don't know.......

Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,689,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i use to look at 20somethings with no job as lazy bums who were pathetic and couldn't..didn't want to do any better. until i graduated... i had been force fed that bull**** that if i worked hard in school that it would all pay off. oh how delusional i was. i have work experience and internship experience and i am unemployed. not even retail will hire me.. i have considered stripping or high class prostitution (ever heard of seekingarrangement.com?) but i still have some sort of dignity left. don't know how long that will last.now everyone wants you to work either for free for absurd amount of time (1-2years) with no promise of a job at the end or you have to have so much experience at entry level that you can't get the job if you wanted to..i was just like most people in this thread, being un-empathetic and arrogant about the future...how easy the tables have turned since the mark of graduation.
I am so sorry. I have another question for everyone. Why is it that if a Gen-Yer wants a job that pays the bills, it is considered entitlement? Yet, if an older person wants a fat union pension it is just that he/she worked hard all their lives and deserves it?

All I want is a job that pays the bills. Necessities like a cheap apartment, even a small studio would be nice. I don't care if I have a brand new car, just something that runs. I would like to be able to buy my medication and not have to choose if I should buy food or medication for the week. I don't care if I ever own an IPad or IPod as those are not necessities. I don't care if I ever have internet access because I can use free wi-fi at various locations. I would like to be able to save a little and get my student loans out of forebearance. I don't even need cable tv with the availability of Netflix and free entertainment activities. I don't care if I make $100,000, nor do I expect it without working my way up. $30,000 would be nice though. What is so wrong with my generation wanting a job that pays necessities?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 AM

370 posts, read 1,370,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
All I want is a job that pays the bills. Necessities like a cheap apartment, even a small studio would be nice. I don't care if I have a brand new car, just something that runs. I would like to be able to buy my medication and not have to choose if I should buy food or medication for the week. I don't care if I ever own an IPad or IPod as those are not necessities. I don't care if I ever have internet access because I can use free wi-fi at various locations. I would like to be able to save a little and get my student loans out of forebearance. I don't even need cable tv with the availability of Netflix and free entertainment activities. I don't care if I make $100,000, nor do I expect it without working my way up. $30,000 would be nice though. What is so wrong with my generation wanting a job that pays necessities?
There's nothing wrong with this. It's a failure of society not you!
I'm a "Gen X" person who lives 'worse' than my parents did at our stage of life. It's not from being in debt (we have no credit card debt), nor is it mismanagement of money. We just keep trying to move to find a niche where we can 'just live a middle class life' but it has eluded us.

We also have a special needs child and I cannot work full time because he requires a parent home with him much of the time right now.

My sister is 'working poor' despite her husband working himself in the ground. They simply cannot afford their home and expenses on his salary (which never gets any higher). She tries to work as well but has family to take care of.

I am sure HONEST people out there can say this is true of someone they know.

So like I said, it's all well and good to say "EVERYONE should be able to afford a small house" but if you don't have 2 decent, steady incomes, you can't even afford a fair apartment anywhere.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 AM

3,578 posts, read 4,445,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
. . .and articles like this justify the so-called "plight" of boomerang adult children whom are often too scared (or too pampered) to venture out beyond their immediate comfort zone.

Some of us parents are guilty of having made life far too comfortable for this present generation. We decked their bedrooms with the latest electronic gadgetry, bought them cars, cellphones, laptops, ensured their clothes were washed and food ready upon their arrival, etc. Having been receipients of such luxuries, who in their right mind would want to leave the comfort of mommy's and daddy's home?

I plead absolutely guilty of having been such a parent. Thinking I was giving my three children "a leg up" on life, I ensured they had all the material things listed above. Their mother ensured food was always available, clothes were always washed, and that their chores were minimal. End result? At ages 21, 24, and 26 all still live at home.

Sadly, such seems to be the case of most parents I know. Some being quite happy that at age 29 "little Johnny" is still "living at home, in the same room he grew up in." Oh, the nostalgia. Oh, the memories. Oh my God! What a mistake we made!

Had I known then what I know now, I would have provided nothing more than food, shelter, clothing, (and maybe a cellphone) for my children whom I love with everything in me. Anything beyond that should've been up to them to obtain. And their mother would have done them a great service by having them wash their own clothes, prepare meals, and partake in house chores more often.

As it is properly stated. . ."hindsight is always 20/20."

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM

3,578 posts, read 4,445,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Um, no. Not when the working couple lives in a major metro area like outside NYC, LA, Chicago, and so on.

They can, however, choose to move.

Don't forget BUYING a house is a lot different than keeping up the mortgage payments with a shrinking paycheck.

Oh, and once the kids come, figure at least a quarter of that income, if not half will be gone. (either by childcare or because Mom or Dad stays home).

I don't disagree with part of your statement. People do think they need 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms( sometimes) instead of a small ranch or small track house to 'impress others' or because they grew up in one.

It's just not feasible to say "Every working couple should be able to afford a $100,000." Not when you may $10/hr as a secretary and your husband makes $10/hr as a clerk. How do you PAY RENT and save up for a down payment?

What about people who get paid minimum wage?

Banks want a good chunk of change now when you buy.

And taxes GO UP every year.

Throw unemployment in the mix or illness or like I said, pregnancy, and you have several reasons why all working couples cannot afford to buy or maintain a home.
My goodness! I'm baffled and astonished by the lack of faith in what this country and the people found herein can acheive and accomplish. What happened to dreaming, believing, setting goals, and working extremely hard for it? Where is the Spirit that made this country great and that made it the place everyone in the world wanted to come to?

I'm a quasi immigrant/foreigner by way of one of the USA's outlying territories. Like many I know, I came here willing to listen, learn, work extremely hard, stay out of trouble, and follow the lead of several persons I considered worth emulating. We polished our English and marketable skills and have not since gone without a paycheck. Things were never easy for those of us who arrived at the mainland with little more than a dream, hope, and a willingness to do whatever it took to succeed even if a little in life.

Pardon me for veering from the main topic, but it's sad to read the lack of faith demostrated by many posters in this thread.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,992,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
. . .and articles like this justify the so-called "plight" of boomerang adult children whom are often too scared (or too pampered) to venture out beyond their immediate comfort zone.

Some of us parents are guilty of having made life far too comfortable for this present generation. We decked their bedrooms with the latest electronic gadgetry, bought them cars, cellphones, laptops, ensured their clothes were washed and food ready upon their arrival, etc. Having been receipients of such luxuries, who in their right mind would want to leave the comfort of mommy's and daddy's home?

I plead absolutely guilty of having been such a parent. Thinking I was giving my three children "a leg up" on life, I ensured they had all the material things listed above. Their mother ensured food was always available, clothes were always washed, and that their chores were minimal. End result? At ages 21, 24, and 26 all still live at home.

Sadly, such seems to be the case of most parents I know. Some being quite happy that at age 29 "little Johnny" is still "living at home, in the same room he grew up in." Oh, the nostalgia. Oh, the memories. Oh my God! What a mistake we made!

Had I known then what I know now, I would have provided nothing more than food, shelter, clothing, (and maybe a cellphone) for my children whom I love with everything in me. Anything beyond that should've been up to them to obtain. And their mother would have done them a great service by having them wash their own clothes, prepare meals, and partake in house chores more often.

As it is properly stated. . ."hindsight is always 20/20."
Interesting. My parents provided a decent lower middle class life for me and my siblings, but I still moved out at age 20 and haven't been back since (26 now). I even moved across country, 1200 miles away from them. When I was in college, I couldn't wait to get out on my own. I think it's not only an issue with the kid being too pampered, but perhaps the parents not instilling a sense of adventure and curiosity in the child. I have friends who are the same way as your kids, very risk averse. They rationalize living at home by claiming that they have no reason to live on their own (no spouse, no kids, etc.). C'mon though, you and I both know that isn't the case.

If you bring kids into this world, I believe it is your responsibility to provide for them and raise them properly. After all, it's not as if they necessarily wanted to be here. Once they have reached an age where you think they should be providing for themselves, perhaps 18 or perhaps after they finish college, you should express to them your expectations. Maybe, if you don't want them in your house anymore, you should have a frank conversation about it. Are they completely mooching off of you, or do they have jobs? Are they able to move out? Can they get jobs that will allow them to do so? Keep in mind, this isn't the same economy you started out in. Things are a little different these days.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 01-25-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM

723 posts, read 2,201,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
If you bring kids into this world, I believe it is your responsibility to provide for them and raise them properly.
haha. that's a foreign concept on CD. People beat their chest talking about "after my kid is born its going to be working at 2, paying bills at 10 and out of the house by 13! they can take care of themselves!" like it's their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment