Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM

313 posts, read 330,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

From what I have seen, our economy is not so bad that there are not jobs, there are just not jobs some kids want, at the pay that they want, where they want...many have unrealistic expectations, and also went to college, without thinking about what type of work they would do when leaving college, it was just 4 more years of extended high school. "I want to major in Art Studies"...okay, great, but what kind of WORK will you do when you graduate? Then they complain they can't anything better than working at a call center?!
What if they get a job but it doesn't pay enough to get their own place?

It's not so much kids have unrealistic expectations about pay, it's having realistic expectations making a living by yourself in today's world.

I know people who can get by on $9.00 an hour but they live paycheck to paycheck which means they are likely one paycheck away from being homeless. Try that in most cities these days and one might just get to be homeless. There isn't many $9.00 an hour jobs anyways right now and it makes things worse when there is so much competition in getting one.

On the bright side places like Washington raised the minimum wage to around $10.00 but now many businesses are scaling back hiring because of it. Which makes things worse.

About call centers, I know a few people who would like to get a job at one but can't. Here in Albuquerque Verizon was hiring like crazy and a few people I know didn't get the job. The hiring process is more tight these days since it's a employer market.

I have a job myself but I don't live in a bubble either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,686,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinHenderson View Post
That article is spot on and the Boomers that always play the entitlement card need to read the point in the article where it says what was normal for them has never been normal for previous generations and probably won't be for those after them. I've always said that the Boomers are the most entitled generation our country has seen and don't really grasp that all the wealth they have today isn't from their hard work, but from the blood spilled by their parents in WWII.

I'm 29, have served my country, hold a Bachelors, and I currently work between 60 to 70 hours a week as a retail store manager barely making $50 k a year.
I also think a lot of Boomers don't understand the concept of outsourcing and what that does to a local economy. My parents just think I should be able to walk in off the street and get some manufacturing job, but a lot of the factories in my area are in Mexico, China, and Costa Rica. I actually heard a group of Boomers complaining about Gen Yers who can't find jobs. The conversation went like this:

Lady 1: "Well, these young people are so lazy. They just won't work. When I was 18, I had a job down at the factory making TVs. I just walked in and got the job."

Man 1: "Yeah, I know. I picked corn for a living."

Okay, the factory they were talking about is in Mexico right now. The corn picking job is done by illegal immigrants now.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM

111 posts, read 174,113 times
Why do people judge what others do with their private life when it does not negatively affect them??

Different cultures have different traditions about adults living with their parents. People also have different obligations, life situations, etc. To expect ALL humans to do something at a certain age is irrational and absurd. Unless, everyone have the same opportunities, obligations, life situations, etc can this be a common and expected circumstance.

I agree that at SOME point an adult has to "leave the nest" but the adult has to decide at which point in his/her life would be the appropriate time to do so. Remember that adults mature differently mentality, physically, and financially.

I know a lot of "adults" that have their own place but the parents pay the rent.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM

200 posts, read 505,614 times
My favorite is when they point out that they too graduated into a recession. The greatest economic minds in the world will tell you this is the worst recession since the Great Depression. Worst since the 1930s not the 1980s, but they'll try and make it out like they had it just as bad but found their way.

Found their way into an easy high paying job. Don't even try to explain to them inflation and the value of today's dollar versus the value of the dollar when they entered the workforce.

The bottomline is they got theirs on easy street and everyone else.............well who else could their possibly be but people like me

Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,981,687 times
Honestly, what's wrong with living together? I live on my own and it's great. I love it.

But I see plenty of upside with living with your parents/family for a bit. You'd certainly need a bigger house to make it work though.

My friend and his brother (27 and 29 respectively) both live with their parents. They are doing pretty good, too. My friend was able to buy a brand new Ford Mustang with the money he saves on rent. He also bought his parents a brand new kitchen. I couldn't do that in my current situation.

I could personally see it as a more viable option with those mother-in-law apartments that people build on to their houses. Heck, if I had my own place built on to my parent's house, that'd be amazing. I would have privacy, as well as the close proximity of my family. Win-win. Of course, you must take not that I actually love my parents. Some people don't, and that's likely why they couldn't do that.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM

370 posts, read 1,367,774 times
A while ago we had to go live with my parents while we were in transition. It was VERY hard on everyone and did cause a lot of stress.

However, the biggest problems were not between my folks or my husband or son but the OUTSIDERS who felt they should pass judgement on us and convince my father 'we'd be sponging off them forever.'

You wouldn't believe how some people (they were all friends of my parents) would s*** stir up things and make my parents feel like we were the biggest losers on the planet. Once my husband got a job (it took about 5 months) we offered to pay rent or pay for things (we bought our own food) but they wouldn't take it.

Every day my dad would meet up with his cronies who would say, "Are your kids still living with you?" (we're in our 40s not kids).
One of my parents' friends had it in for my husband because SHE is mentally ill and hates men.

She cornered him one day and told him he was lazy and no good and needed to sweep the streets to get any job to support us and get us 'not living off my parents.'

Tell a person who has been hustling 6 hours a day to find a job this and it's like kicking a man who is down and crippled.

Again, the only flack we ever got were from people older who had good jobs or had retired with plenty of pension money to burn.

Why complete morons/strangers feel like they should judge people is beyond me.

If I want your advice, I'll ask. I spent almost a year feeling like I was worthless. I never want to be in that situation again.

This is a perfect example of WHY you must sometimes leave your family and move away.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,981,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
A while ago we had to go live with my parents while we were in transition. It was VERY hard on everyone and did cause a lot of stress.

However, the biggest problems were not between my folks or my husband or son but the OUTSIDERS who felt they should pass judgement on us and convince my father 'we'd be sponging off them forever.'

You wouldn't believe how some people (they were all friends of my parents) would s*** stir up things and make my parents feel like we were the biggest losers on the planet. Once my husband got a job (it took about 5 months) we offered to pay rent or pay for things (we bought our own food) but they wouldn't take it.

Every day my dad would meet up with his cronies who would say, "Are your kids still living with you?" (we're in our 40s not kids).
One of my parents' friends had it in for my husband because SHE is mentally ill and hates men.

She cornered him one day and told him he was lazy and no good and needed to sweep the streets to get any job to support us and get us 'not living off my parents.'

Tell a person who has been hustling 6 hours a day to find a job this and it's like kicking a man who is down and crippled.

Again, the only flack we ever got were from people older who had good jobs or had retired with plenty of pension money to burn.

Why complete morons/strangers feel like they should judge people is beyond me.

If I want your advice, I'll ask. I spent almost a year feeling like I was worthless. I never want to be in that situation again.

This is a perfect example of WHY you must sometimes leave your family and move away.
Your parents should have stood up to these people. They were certainly not friends. Many old people tend not to understand changing environments. Heck, my grandparents are still racist. Old people...go figure.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,699,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Your parents should have stood up to these people. They were certainly not friends. Many old people tend not to understand changing environments. Heck, my grandparents are still racist. Old people...go figure.

Bingo! These people aren't your parent's friends. Real friends would NEVER say that.

I would be willing to bet your parents "friends" are in their 60s and 70s and missed the Great Depression.

If you talk to people who are 80 or older who remember the GD as children they usually have a different outlook.

And your father should have spoken up. "Yes we're really getting sick of them sponging off us, I just gave them your address, they will be moving in later today, maybe you can straighten them out"....of just tell them to ****.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM

370 posts, read 1,367,774 times
To the 2 people above who said my parents should have stood up to these people.

Spot on.

My husband is still hurt to this day because THEY DID NOT defend or say anything in our defense.

Again, I was thankful they took us in. I still am. But they didn't have the right to let these outsiders do this to us.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,575,533 times
I have an acquaintance who lives with her elderly mother, as does her sister. None of them are in relationships, so they all live together. They pay a set amount each month to contribute toward the monthly bills. They all get along relatively well with each other, so it works out quite well for all involved.

I think we are going to see more of this in the future. I also think a lot of people underestimate the effects economics have on how people live. We have been so used to relative prosperity in this country for so long that sharing homes with relatives is judged negatively by many people.

In the past, though, people from different generations often shared homes due to economic factors.

It may become more common as time goes on, and more and more people will realize that their beliefs and values are shaped by the realities of the times in which they live.

It might be great to say, "I value independence and want my kids out of the house when they turn 18." But if the harsh reality means that those kids will be living in homeless shelters with tens of thousands of student loan and credit card debt that they can't pay....some folks might find that what they thought were their strongly held morals and values may change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment