Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM

30,203 posts, read 25,315,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Its not that its an osha issue or a crime against humanity its that the economic conditions (engineered by mega corps) are causing people to have to take these jobs for CHEAP. People dont complain about these jobs when they are raking in the benjamins but when you have to bust butt for slave wages its like throwing away what this nation now stands for and everything our forfathers worked for, they did not build this nation so that us 3, 4th generation americans could work in an amazon warehouse for 12$/hr. I remember someone told me that worked in roofing or construction that they would write their wages down in their hard hat and when they wanted to quit or hated work they would look at the david bacon wages they were making writen down on their hard hat plus time and a half or in some cases double OT. Thats rare now days so I would suspect alot of these contractors are having a hard time getting qualified people to show up for very long. THE MONEY is not there thats the problem. But people have to eat so it creates a very tense situtation that will only get worse. No one can foot the bill for anything because companies have engineering the economy so that virtually no one is making good enough money to do so, its an uphill battle that can no longer be fought with our pocket book but only with bullets. There are too few good paying jobs for most people to shop anywhere but places like wal mart.

Thats the real issue. Im not a cry baby but I also refuse to be a slave and if all that is left is slave wages I am not above watering the tree of liberty with the blood of thoes who deserve it when it becomes practical to do so. God will put forth the conditons nessicary to transform our nation and thoes at the top exploiting people will pay, there will not be any debating about it, there will come a time of rekoning. The domestic enemys of the state will be delt with.

The biggest problem is that too many people have citizenship, I dont mind people working these jobs whos forfathers did not contribute to this nation but its a shame when the desendant of 4 generations of americans has to work these jobs, its not entitlement our families earned it. There are just way too many infiltrators to our nation and the other shoe will eventually drop. Back in the day thoes that wanted to do buisness payed tribute to the controling parties, so in a way its our own fault for not keeping our thumb down, if your a 4 generation anglo saxon you should not have to work period you should be collecting FAT checks from all the asians and others that are here doing buisness and maybe make 4 years of military service manditory for the controling party to work towards defending their interests. There is nothign to defend in our nation, we dont really need a military because we let everyone exploit us.
Now this I agree with. But it's a different story entirely. The conditions are the same as always, but the money doesn't match. Perhaps this article should have focused more on illegal immigration and other issue driving down wages for honest jobs these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,693,171 times
$12 dollars an hour is considered pretty decent money in today's job market. That's the sad part of this story.

Back in the early eighties I painted homes, did refinishing & other home decorating stuff because I couldn't find any work elsewhere. I taught myself how to do it. OJT. I charged $20 an hour and no one ever complained I was charging too much.

The real point of the Amazon story is the pathetic wages workers have to deal with today, not the working conditions.

More and more people are clamoring on about how thankful you should be to have a job, any job. Don't whine, just thank the man for hiring you. Yep, all the working slobs need to happily settle for less while the master takes more and more and more.

How this all ends, I don't know. What I do know is I'll never ever work for anyone else. I Love being self-employed, reliant on no one but me. If there's a will there's a way, and I keep finding ways to pay the bills on my own.

And I'm a happy camper doing it.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
$12 dollars an hour is considered pretty decent money in today's job market. That's the sad part of this story.

Back in the early eighties I painted homes, did refinishing & other home decorating stuff because I couldn't find any work elsewhere. I taught myself how to do it. OJT. I charged $20 an hour and no one ever complained I was charging too much.

The real point of the Amazon story is the pathetic wages workers have to deal with today, not the working conditions.

More and more people are clamoring on about how thankful you should be to have a job, any job. Don't whine, just thank the man for hiring you. Yep, all the working slobs need to happily settle for less while the master takes more and more and more.

How this all ends, I don't know. What I do know is I'll never ever work for anyone else. I Love being self-employed, reliant on no one but me. If there's a will there's a way, and I keep finding ways to pay the bills on my own.

Yea, but as a business owner, your still dependent on a customer with cash in hand... And many are closing up the wallets these days. At least with a paycheck, I know the bills will be paid until the gig is up. Than it's time to blow up the savings account

As for the wages... It's baffling. I mean, a $12/hr job today is comparable to what a $15/hr job was a decade ago... Yet inflation kills your purchasing power today even more! Gas, food, the things to just sustain yourself... Seemingly doubled! And they wonder why the economy is in the dumps??? Do the math, it ain't going to get any better!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 AM

155 posts, read 245,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

As for the wages... It's baffling. I mean, a $12/hr job today is comparable to what a $15/hr job was a decade ago... Yet inflation kills your purchasing power today even more! Gas, food, the things to just sustain yourself... Seemingly doubled! And they wonder why the economy is in the dumps??? Do the math, it ain't going to get any better!
I agree with this completely. My question is why don't more Americans talk about this stuff? This is THE elephant in the room and everyone seems to just ignore it. They just shrug their solders and say "thank you sir, may I have another"?

Last edited by Remote_Control; 09-24-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
I agree with this completely. My question is why don't more Americans talk about this stuff? This is THE elephant in the room and everyone seems to just ignore it. They just shrug their solders and say "thank you sir, may I have another"?
facebook, iphones, American Idol... America is a clear example of squandered wealth, taken right out of the playbook of the Roman Empire.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,901,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You have got to be joking. Warehouses we're never designed to be climate controlled! What do you not get? Do you have any clue how expensive that would be? Have you bothered to read what anybody else has taken the time to write in this thread? If you want to work in a warehouse, you deal with the heat! If you cannot work in the heat, do not work in the warehouse...

How about cold storage??? Is it a crime against mankind to allow people to work in those too??? I knew plenty of honest working men and women who we're thankful for their decent paying jobs working in those frigid temperatures. When I worked in hot, humid and generally nasty conditions, I did not call OSHA. I was too thankful to have a steady paycheck that got me outta my parents house. I do not understand your logic whatsoever. People have been working in hot/cold warehouses, factories, outside in the sun for generations... They did this for 8-12 hours a day. I guess a 12 hour workday is also a crime against humanity as well though... Or maybe we as a nation have become a bunch of do-nothing whiners and complainers...

And if it ticks you off so much, good luck trying to buy products that came out of a climate controlled warehouse. Seriously, see if YOUR willing to foot the bill for the comfort of the worker...
I'm well aware of how expensive it is, and no I don't think it's a crime to let people work in an environment they chose to work in mind you. My mom worked for years in the office of a warehouse and it could get darn hot in there. But it seems that when Amazon has to have medical personnel on site, it seems there's a big problem here, beyond just maybe a few people who can't handle the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you suggesting all the other businesses (other than the big buisinesses with cheap costs you mention above) have air conditioned warehouses?
Heck no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am really tired of convincing people here that are not part of the logistics industry of reality. I cannot tell you more adamantly that you have no idea what you are talking about. Once again:
1.) Un-airconditioned warehouses are an industry norm in the US.
2.) The article indicates OSHA was notified and investigated. They found no safety laws broken.
and fans:
3.) Fans are a common item in warehouses for heat comfort. No it is not a/c, but it helps. Exhaust fans, again, are an industry norm, and remove hot air. Portable evaporative cooling "mist" fans are becoming very popular. Warehouses set them up in the loading and receiving work areas. See below:
Evaporative Cooling Fans - Misting Pros

And once again, some here are indicating that their real agenda is some sort of "working man" political rant rather than reality and the topic at hand.

(edit: ironically, I have also been in the HVAC logistics industry, which, yes, DOES make me an expert on the subject)
Thank you. However, like I mention above, I find it hard to believe that nothing is really wrong due to the fact that, as I already brought up, Amazon had to have medical personnel on site to deal with the issues related to the heat. So please don't tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I can see you're quite the expert on the cooling effect of fans. Manufacturers of both residential and commercial fans must have been having a field day all these years persuading users throughout the world that those things actually work and aren't just decorative. Mind control, subliminal advertising - how did they do it? I'd better invest in some stock before the word gets out.
Well I guess you'd better get to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Such as something that will not make you wilt like a dainty flower.
Nothing makes me wilt like a dainty flower (yet anyway...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

Good for you. It'll probably get to a point one day where most people will be doing that. It's a tough line to draw, to decide whether a company has a right to maximize their own profits and shortchange the worker, who is largely responsible for said profits, or whether the workers themselves should have a bigger end of the stick. I myself have what might be considered a low-wage job (though I can budget and live with it). I work my behind off at my job, the managers there love me (and tell me that all the time) and though it's not really where I saw myself at my age, I am trying to improve myself and my life and I am grateful to have a job, and it shows in my work.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'm well aware of how expensive it is, and no I don't think it's a crime to let people work in an environment they chose to work in mind you. My mom worked for years in the office of a warehouse and it could get darn hot in there. But it seems that when Amazon has to have medical personnel on site, it seems there's a big problem here, beyond just maybe a few people who can't handle the heat.
When you have 1500 people working in hot conditions like that, of course you have medical staff on hand. Many large warehouses and factories always have nurses on staff. It's just common sense. And maybe this story is a sign that many Americans aren't cut out for this type of work anymore. If you aren't in shape, and you try to do hard work out of desperation for a job, yea you might pass out. The alternative is they hire a bunch of illegals who can deal with the heat like many warehouses do these days...

Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 70,036,139 times
And Amazon was responding to conditions brought about by an unprecedented heat wave of short duration. Reading the whole article really would benefit some of the more strident voices here.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 PM

421 posts, read 2,540,735 times
You know it's funny that I just saw this post because someone just last week was saying something about Amazon in this Industrial Park near where I live. From what I was told by multiple people, this Amazon place hires people and then gets rid of them on the 88th or 89th day to avoid having to pay them any kind of benefits. I heard this a long time ago and didn't think much of it and then heard it again by two different people.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
You know it's funny that I just saw this post because someone just last week was saying something about Amazon in this Industrial Park near where I live. From what I was told by multiple people, this Amazon place hires people and then gets rid of them on the 88th or 89th day to avoid having to pay them any kind of benefits. I heard this a long time ago and didn't think much of it and then heard it again by two different people.
Wouldn't suprise me. Many large companies are doing this these days. They will usually keep a few of the outstanding workers, but that's about it. Why pay benefits when there is a line of unemployed people crawling at the walls to get in? Go America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment