Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,059,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Because you are a human RESOURCE, not a person! Don't you know that your sole purpose as a drone in the hive is to work your arse off and risk your health to put money in some CEO's pockets so he can go buy a summer home in the Hamptons and make sure his daughter's birthday party ends up on "My Super Sweet 16?" Shame on you, expecting to be treated like a sentient being! That does it: We're shipping your job to India!
HAHAHA...what? Talk about overreaching. So that's what you're comments are about. I am talking industry standard - air conditioned warehouses are not industry standard. It is not arguable or subject to debate, it just isn't.
You on the other hand are on some off topic hysterical "working man" rant/diabtrabe. Try the politics forum, plenty of your types there. Then write your congressman and say "gee I think you should pass a law that all workers work in a temperature of 72 degrees". Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,059,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My point exactly when I questioned how many people contributing to this thread actually took the time to read the article in its entirety ... I think few.
No of course they don't read anything but the headline and the first paragraph, and they also don't see it's based on anecdotes, covering one of the hottest summers on record for the northeast. It's clear now that many of the comments are not about reality, but about a social agenda. It could be "man working at Amazon gets hangnail" and we would see the same comments.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM

375 posts, read 1,103,937 times
Warehouse jobs suck. This is news? Amazon is building a warehouse complex about 45 miles from me just outside of Chattanooga Tennessee. Locals are enthusiastic, the jobs will pay better than most warehouse work around here. No one expects air conditioning in the main warehouse, here there's typically climate control in the office and sometimes a small section for sensitive items but it's just too expensive to try to run AC in a metal building with an open loading dock unless it's absolutely necessary for the material being stored.

Evaporative coolers are useless here. They work well in dry climates but our hottest weather usually comes with 80%+ humidity. The only thing you'd accomplish with an EC would be to create a few impressive mold cultures.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,654,736 times
Quote:
Ah, so because you had a crappy job that made you miserable, everyone else should, too?

Also, there is a difference between being spoiled and not wanting to endanger your health. 110 degrees in a warehouse is dangerous. No one is saying it has to be 72 degrees, but 110 is right out.

Yep. It comes back to self-loathing. I'm convinced of it. "I'm too weak to stand up for myself, and I'm miserable because of it, so you should just suck it up and be miserable, too."

Forget it.
Hmm-- no. I am saying that certain jobs have inherent discomfort.

This talk reminds me of once when I was in college in my college dormitory. There was a hall meeting about how the girls were being asked to clean up the shower so it would be easier on the housekeeper assigned to our dorm floor. Like-- they wanted the girls to daily sweep, scrub the showers. I just shook my head. It was the job of the housekeeper--- granted not a job I would want-- and granted no one should be making a huge mess expcecting the housekeeper to clean it up, but it was not necessary for me to scrub down the communal dorm either.

I remember stating that yes, I could imagine it sucked working as a housekeeper at a top ranked public university where you were cleaning up after the young adults who hopefully were not going to have that type of job in the future-- of course with no guarantees.. but the fact remains is that it is her job-- whether or not it is comfortable or not. I then said-- it sucks for me to work at a top notch, super snobby riding facility where horses cost much more than my family home and furniture included-- and yes I didn't love scooping manure and bedding stalls-- but at the end of the day it was my job no matter how "unfun" or "hot" or stuff that it was.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,188,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Yellowsnow I had a friend who worked for FedEx Ground in some sorting facility JUST because of the workout.

The job had a HUGE turnover-- you got a shirt if you made it 30 days.

She became super in shape after a few months. Lasted a year before she was fed up.
I liked the idea of being paid to work out!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,532,820 times
Just an example of jobs that "Americans" won't take...check the green card of all Amazon employees please.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM

30,620 posts, read 24,029,964 times
Mandatory OT: Been there, done that. Big deal. Enjoy your paycheck.

High productivity expectations: Been there, done that. Big deal, it's your job.

Doctor's notes for calling in sick: The way people abuse calling in, I don't blame them. Other people suffer when you are too hung over to come in to work. No sympathy.

They had cooling bandanas, (which do work, I used to wear them), ice, water, cooling stations, nurses, paramedics, etc on hand.

Hmmm.

I used to work in the Everglades, outside, all year long. That includes during July and August...when you wish you would just die, instead of suffer another hot as hell day.

We did not have cooling stations, a/c, ice, nurses or paramedics for us.

I have also worked in warehouses that were hot and, joy of all joys, reeked of fish since we were right next door to a fish processing plant.

They also got to go home early, voluntarily, with no discipline, if they felt the heat was too much.

Sorry, no, not seeing how Amazon is a horrible, evil company here. What I'm seeing are 19 out of 20 people interviewed, whining like little brats. Any one who did go to the hospital was not admitted and all returned to work the same day. They did not suffer a true heat illness. You don't return the same day if you do. I know, I've been through it.

Nineteen people out of how many employed there? Get rid of 'em.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,886,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It's like a 3rd World Country in America when companies are like this!

Allentown: Inside Amazon.com warehouse workers complain of brutal conditions - mcall.com
Yeah it gives them jobs and makes them work...what a radical concept.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Then write your congressman and say "gee I think you should pass a law that all workers work in a temperature of 72 degrees". Good luck.
Read much? vvvv

Quote:
Also, there is a difference between being spoiled and not wanting to endanger your health. 110 degrees in a warehouse is dangerous. No one is saying it has to be 72 degrees, but 110 is right out.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,330,755 times
This is certaily a good example of how something can be twisted depending on what side you are on.

A. The company took every precaution against health issues by having medical staff on site in case something went wrong.

B. The company worked the employees so hard under horrible conditions that they needed medical staff on site to deal with the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment