Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,143,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Such as?
Such as something that will not make you wilt like a dainty flower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,020,781 times
Quote:
BTW in the section where they mentioned that every station had their own fans??? WTF??? Fans don't work in a warehouse you corporate morons! They just blow hot air around.
I can see you're quite the expert on the cooling effect of fans. Manufacturers of both residential and commercial fans must have been having a field day all these years persuading users throughout the world that those things actually work and aren't just decorative. Mind control, subliminal advertising - how did they do it? I'd better invest in some stock before the word gets out.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,066,401 times
Quote:
That's what happens when big businesses with "cheap costs" start taking over. At what point will American workers start saying "that's it! Enough!" Of course when you don't know where your next meal is coming from I guess you're not really in a position to gripe. One thing's for certain; if it wasn't happening here, it'd happen somewhere else in the world where there are no labor-safety laws. I'll never buy from Amazon again after reading all this. I sure hope the what's-his-name founder of Amazon can sleep at night knowing what's going on.

BTW in the section where they mentioned that every station had their own fans??? WTF??? Fans don't work in a warehouse you corporate morons! They just blow hot air around. This article ticked me off more than I can say right now...
I am really tired of convincing people here that are not part of the logistics industry of reality. I cannot tell you more adamantly that you have no idea what you are talking about. Once again:
1.) Un-airconditioned warehouses are an industry norm in the US.
2.) The article indicates OSHA was notified and investigated. They found no safety laws broken.
and fans:
3.) Fans are a common item in warehouses for heat comfort. No it is not a/c, but it helps. Exhaust fans, again, are an industry norm, and remove hot air. Portable evaporative cooling "mist" fans are becoming very popular. Warehouses set them up in the loading and receiving work areas. See below:
Evaporative Cooling Fans - Misting Pros

And once again, some here are indicating that their real agenda is some sort of "working man" political rant rather than reality and the topic at hand.

(edit: ironically, I have also been in the HVAC logistics industry, which, yes, DOES make me an expert on the subject)

Last edited by Dd714; 09-23-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,267,769 times
Average air conditioning cost (national average) for a 20,000 sqft warehouse would be roughly $40,000/month. Assuming we run that for only three months/year, that means to make up for the cost of air conditioning, three hourly employees per 20,000 sqft warehouse would be laid off to run the air conditioning.

Pick your poison. Lay off 3 people per warehouse, or have air conditioning.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,088,145 times
Jeez... who are the pansies complaining about no air conditioning in a warehouse??!!? That is part of the job. If you don't like it, find another one. That's like saying all of those people whom work outside during the summer in the south are being abused.

I've previously worked in a warehouse and a factory for a number of years. Yes, there were days that reached into the 110s, and sometimes higher. Generally, it was not difficult for the body to acclimate itself to the temperature. And yes, fans blowing hot air on you do help.

The companies always provided water, Gatorade, and were always on the lookout for heat related illness.

Have you ever been in a foundry? Maybe they should try and air condition those for you too.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,339,124 times
Quote:
That's what happens when big businesses with "cheap costs" start taking over.
Are you suggesting all the other businesses (other than the big buisinesses with cheap costs you mention above) have air conditioned warehouses?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,995,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
At least the workers aren't committing suicide at an alarming rate like they are at Foxconn in southern China where all your ipads and ipods and other Apple products are made.

Ever since that story came out Apple's sales have continued to go up up up. People want things as cheap as they can get 'em, as fast as they can get 'em, and if that means labor conditions suck for all those poor saps, then so be it.

Just get me my cheap electronics and get 'em to me by yesterday.
Yep. What's sad is that as China becomes more of a force, and competitor, to be reckoned with, conditions here will begin to resemble theirs more. And we will ***** and moan about, but have only ourselves to blame for buying and supporting such practices in the first place!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM

30,166 posts, read 25,282,730 times
Quote:
That's what happens when big businesses with "cheap costs" start taking over. At what point will American workers start saying "that's it! Enough!" Of course when you don't know where your next meal is coming from I guess you're not really in a position to gripe. One thing's for certain; if it wasn't happening here, it'd happen somewhere else in the world where there are no labor-safety laws. I'll never buy from Amazon again after reading all this. I sure hope the what's-his-name founder of Amazon can sleep at night knowing what's going on.

BTW in the section where they mentioned that every station had their own fans??? WTF??? Fans don't work in a warehouse you corporate morons! They just blow hot air around. This article ticked me off more than I can say right now...
You have got to be joking. Warehouses we're never designed to be climate controlled! What do you not get? Do you have any clue how expensive that would be? Have you bothered to read what anybody else has taken the time to write in this thread? If you want to work in a warehouse, you deal with the heat! If you cannot work in the heat, do not work in the warehouse...

How about cold storage??? Is it a crime against mankind to allow people to work in those too??? I knew plenty of honest working men and women who we're thankful for their decent paying jobs working in those frigid temperatures. When I worked in hot, humid and generally nasty conditions, I did not call OSHA. I was too thankful to have a steady paycheck that got me outta my parents house. I do not understand your logic whatsoever. People have been working in hot/cold warehouses, factories, outside in the sun for generations... They did this for 8-12 hours a day. I guess a 12 hour workday is also a crime against humanity as well though... Or maybe we as a nation have become a bunch of do-nothing whiners and complainers...

And if it ticks you off so much, good luck trying to buy products that came out of a climate controlled warehouse. Seriously, see if YOUR willing to foot the bill for the comfort of the worker...

Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,261,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You have got to be joking. Warehouses we're never designed to be climate controlled! What do you not get? Do you have any clue how expensive that would be? Have you bothered to read what anybody else has taken the time to write in this thread? If you want to work in a warehouse, you deal with the heat! If you cannot work in the heat, do not work in the warehouse...

How about cold storage??? Is it a crime against mankind to allow people to work in those too??? I knew plenty of honest working men and women who we're thankful for their decent paying jobs working in those frigid temperatures. When I worked in hot, humid and generally nasty conditions, I did not call OSHA. I was too thankful to have a steady paycheck that got me outta my parents house. I do not understand your logic whatsoever. People have been working in hot/cold warehouses, factories, outside in the sun for generations... They did this for 8-12 hours a day. I guess a 12 hour workday is also a crime against humanity as well though... Or maybe we as a nation have become a bunch of do-nothing whiners and complainers...

And if it ticks you off so much, good luck trying to buy products that came out of a climate controlled warehouse. Seriously, see if YOUR willing to foot the bill for the comfort of the worker...
Its not that its an osha issue or a crime against humanity its that the economic conditions (engineered by mega corps) are causing people to have to take these jobs for CHEAP. People dont complain about these jobs when they are raking in the benjamins but when you have to bust butt for slave wages its like throwing away what this nation now stands for and everything our forfathers worked for, they did not build this nation so that us 3, 4th generation americans could work in an amazon warehouse for 12$/hr. I remember someone told me that worked in roofing or construction that they would write their wages down in their hard hat and when they wanted to quit or hated work they would look at the david bacon wages they were making writen down on their hard hat plus time and a half or in some cases double OT. Thats rare now days so I would suspect alot of these contractors are having a hard time getting qualified people to show up for very long. THE MONEY is not there thats the problem. But people have to eat so it creates a very tense situtation that will only get worse. No one can foot the bill for anything because companies have engineering the economy so that virtually no one is making good enough money to do so, its an uphill battle that can no longer be fought with our pocket book but only with bullets. There are too few good paying jobs for most people to shop anywhere but places like wal mart.

Thats the real issue. Im not a cry baby but I also refuse to be a slave and if all that is left is slave wages I am not above watering the tree of liberty with the blood of thoes who deserve it when it becomes practical to do so. God will put forth the conditons nessicary to transform our nation and thoes at the top exploiting people will pay, there will not be any debating about it, there will come a time of rekoning. The domestic enemys of the state will be delt with.

The biggest problem is that too many people have citizenship, I dont mind people working these jobs whos forfathers did not contribute to this nation but its a shame when the desendant of 4 generations of americans has to work these jobs, its not entitlement our families earned it. There are just way too many infiltrators to our nation and the other shoe will eventually drop. Back in the day thoes that wanted to do buisness payed tribute to the controling parties, so in a way its our own fault for not keeping our thumb down, if your a 4 generation anglo saxon you should not have to work period you should be collecting FAT checks from all the asians and others that are here doing buisness and maybe make 4 years of military service manditory for the controling party to work towards defending their interests. There is nothign to defend in our nation, we dont really need a military because we let everyone exploit us.

Last edited by highlife2; 09-23-2011 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,995,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Its not that its an osha issue or a crime against humanity its that the economic conditions (engineered by mega corps) are causing people to have to take these jobs for CHEAP. People dont complain about these jobs when they are raking in the benjamins but when you have to bust but for slave wages its like throwing away what this nation now stands for and everything our forfathers worked for, they did not build this nation so that us 3, 4th generation americans could work in an amazon warehouse for 12$/hr. I remember someone told me that worked in roofing or construction that they would write their wages down in their hard hat and when they wanted to quit or hated work they would look at the david bacon wages they were making writen down on their hard hat plus time and a half or in some cases double OT. Thats rare now days so I would suspect alot of these contractors are having a hard time getting qualified people to show up for very long. THE MONEY is not there thats the problem. But people have to eat so it creates a very tense situtation that will only get worse.

Thats the real issue.
Exactly. The jobs paid well so people put up with for a long time, even to the point of making careers out of them. Not so much the case anymore. "But unions are evil" they say even as they make less and less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment