Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,328,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is certaily a good example of how something can be twisted depending on what side you are on.

A. The company took every precaution against health issues by having medical staff on site in case something went wrong.

B. The company worked the employees so hard under horrible conditions that they needed medical staff on site to deal with the issues.
But why, in this day and age, with our technology and expertise in building, should any human being in a developed nation that prides itself on ingenuity, have to risk his or her health at an indoor job like that? Why would an employer subject workers to that in the first place? Don't they know that they will get more out of workers when workers are not physically miserable because of lousy working conditions?

This is not farming, or parks maintenance, or landscaping, or mail delivery, or any other job that requires being in the elements. This is an indoor job in a warehouse. Amazon is just being cheap and exploitative. There is no other explanation for it.

And look at all of the negative publicity they've gotten from it. This isn't the first horror story to come out of there, but it did go national as it was picked up by HuffPo. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,655,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
But why, in this day and age, with our technology and expertise in building, should any human being in a developed nation that prides itself on ingenuity, have to risk his or her health at an indoor job like that? Why would an employer subject workers to that in the first place? Don't they know that they will get more out of workers when workers are not physically miserable because of lousy working conditions?

This is not farming, or parks maintenance, or landscaping, or mail delivery, or any other job that requires being in the elements. This is an indoor job in a warehouse. Amazon is just being cheap and exploitative. There is no other explanation for it.

And look at all of the negative publicity they've gotten from it. This isn't the first horror story to come out of there, but it did go national as it was picked up by HuffPo. Good luck with that.

So growing up in the South, I have heard countless times as a youngster by my family to stop running in and out of the house, to not leave a door open, etc when we were air conditioning our house... why because the AC would continuously run if a door was left open allowing hot air in and thus increasing our energy costs during the summer. We also had dark curtains to keep the sun and heat out.

It is the same principle. No matter how sophisticated our building abilities are. Amazon is NOT a stagnant warehouse-- I can't even fathom how much of their inventory is moved daily-- hourly, every minute. The amount of energy to try and cool that place would be immense. Not to mention a burden on the infrastructure in the area. Like I said, I used to have to go to our cable/telecom warehouse and in the humid south-- they were not climatized. My friend who worked at FedEx ground in the North? No heat or air-- why because they were loading and unloading trucks all minutes of the night.

The reason why this is making big news now is because corporations are the villains for everything today. I stubbed my toe on the sidewalk curb it must be Amazon that caused that to or some big fat cat CEO.

Warehouse is NOT a typical indoor job-- it is not some desk jockey-- it is a job that requires back breaking work, not the most awesome environment in terms of temperature and has true elements of danger-- versus your typical desk jockey who is truly working indoors.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 24,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is certaily a good example of how something can be twisted depending on what side you are on.

A. The company took every precaution against health issues by having medical staff on site in case something went wrong.

B. The company worked the employees so hard under horrible conditions that they needed medical staff on site to deal with the issues.
They needed medical staff during a period of extraordinary heat waves in June and July only. Sounds like they also took extraordinary actions to prevent heat related problems - fans and bandanas, to appease the 1% of the workforce (15 out of 1,500) that complained.
My question is - what will the reporter do about all the other 50,000 warehouses east of the Mississippi river that are not air conditioned?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM

30,159 posts, read 25,282,730 times
Perhaps this should motivate warehouse workers who don't like the heat to learn a skill that would afford climate controlled conditions?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,261,814 times
Even though we are a developed nation we are not first world. In a true first world nation citizen ship would be hard to get and would have inherant privilages that would preculde hard back breaking work. We have basicly given away all of our status, pretige and wealth under the guise of equal rights. There should not be equal rights, thoes whos family linage built this nation should be the rulling class thats how it works in every other empire, they are not stupid enough to pis s it away.

Basicly citizenship has little value over any other developed nation, thats the real issue. Citizenship does not really afford any privalages outside of a statisticly insignificant vote because everyone and their brother has citizen ship. It is unfortunate that americans are so stuipid that we will have to shed blood more often than nessicary because we like to play the world charity instead of giving meaning to citizenship and the control of resources and assets by having a statisticly significant vote by keeping citizenship numbers WAY down.

Even when you get a skill its no garuentee of anything, you have to continually perform or your ass out, once you work your way up to a controling interest (ie a citizen) then the work should be done, there should be a time to enjoy the fruits of your labor but we squandered our inhertance and now most of us will have to work until we die or nearly so. I kind of think the only people that can vote are productive members, ones right to vote should be assessed on multipule factors, liniage, productivity, etc not just reciting the national anthem or what ever the test is and it should not even be a birth right unless you can show so many generations.

Too many people voting IS the problem.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,689,607 times
At least the workers aren't committing suicide at an alarming rate like they are at Foxconn in southern China where all your ipads and ipods and other Apple products are made.

Ever since that story came out Apple's sales have continued to go up up up. People want things as cheap as they can get 'em, as fast as they can get 'em, and if that means labor conditions suck for all those poor saps, then so be it.

Just get me my cheap electronics and get 'em to me by yesterday.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,328,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
There should not be equal rights, thoes whos family linage built this nation should be the rulling class thats how it works in every other empire, they are not stupid enough to pis s it away.
Well, then! There's no arguing with that logic, is there? [url=http://******************]http://******************/not-tagged-smiley-13324.gif (broken link)[/url]

Oofta.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,896,752 times
That's what happens when big businesses with "cheap costs" start taking over. At what point will American workers start saying "that's it! Enough!" Of course when you don't know where your next meal is coming from I guess you're not really in a position to gripe. One thing's for certain; if it wasn't happening here, it'd happen somewhere else in the world where there are no labor-safety laws. I'll never buy from Amazon again after reading all this. I sure hope the what's-his-name founder of Amazon can sleep at night knowing what's going on.

BTW in the section where they mentioned that every station had their own fans??? WTF??? Fans don't work in a warehouse you corporate morons! They just blow hot air around. This article ticked me off more than I can say right now...

Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,896,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Perhaps this should motivate warehouse workers who don't like the heat to learn a skill that would afford climate controlled conditions?
Such as?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:42 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,143,866 times
All I hear from the left is about "the good old days!" and "when we had all of the manufacturing jobs, things were great!"

As far as I remember, those jobs SUCKED!

There was no air conditioning!

For most of human history, people have been able to work in any number of less than ideal conditions.

We are coddled as a nation.

There will be periods of discomfort with any job.

Live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment