Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,780,186 times

Advertisements

It's like a 3rd World Country in America when companies are like this!

Allentown: Inside Amazon.com warehouse workers complain of brutal conditions - mcall.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,937,449 times
So I guess you won't be applying for a position there.

The only comment I would make is that, as bad as it sounds, only 20 workers (past and present) were interviewed for this piece when, according to the article, anywhere from 900-2000 employees work in the warehouse at any one time depending on the season.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,936 posts, read 82,014,674 times
Quite a contrast to the many amenities afforded their technical and management people in the new offices on South Lake Union in Seattle.

Business & Technology | Space-hungry Amazon.com plans to lease Denny Triangle building | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,241,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It's like a 3rd World Country in America when companies are like this!

Allentown: Inside Amazon.com warehouse workers complain of brutal conditions - mcall.com
newsflash

You can't air condition warehouses. Every warehouse in the PLANET is hot in the summer. You can put in fans, and that helps a little with the comfort factor but you can't cool them.

As for "mandatory" overtime, I can tell you that there are a lot of companies that require this, and most likely, the person agrees to this when they are hired.

Bunch of freakin' cry babies.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,467,425 times
so 20 of 2000 complained and that is a news story? Would love to see a story from a real news source or one that I am familiar with. Any other sources out there?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,247,109 times
They had hydration stations, paramedics on staff and sent people home if it got too be too much for them. What else can a warehouse do?

OP - what would you want Amazon to do about this? As other posted have said, you cannot air condition a warehouse.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,114,731 times
That's it!

No more warehouses!

Nobody should ever have to work in the heat, or the cold, or do manual labor, or be held accountable.

Ship those "slave jobs" to china!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,311,930 times
Actually, Amazon is right up there with Wal-Mart in terms of how poorly they treat workers. It's Exploitation Central.

And Amazon knows it, or else there wouldn't be paragraphs like this in the article:

Quote:
The supply of temporary workers keeps Amazon's warehouse fully staffed without the expense of a permanent workforce that expects raises and good benefits. Using temporary employees in general also helps reduce the prospect that employees will organize a union that pushes for better treatment because the employees are in constant flux, labor experts say. And Amazon limits its liability for workers' compensation and unemployment insurance because most of the workers don't work for Amazon, they work for the temp agency.
Also, it is indeed possible to have air conditioning in a warehouse. I don't know where people are getting their information when they say it's impossible, but that is simply not true. I've been in climate-controlled warehouses, myself.

[youtube]VDdDug1GbD4[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdDug1GbD4"]Florida Air Conditioned Warehouse Tour - YouTube[/URL]

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,780,186 times
A cheap way to air condition a warehouse is Evaporative Cooling. Like these: Evaporative Coolers, Swamp Coolers, Evaporative Cooler, Misting Fans

I truly believe Amazon is an abusive workplace environment and a greedy corporation.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,734,484 times
I wonder if there any relationship between people's "outrage" over the treatment of low skill workers and a personal lack of putting effort into improving one's own employment prospects...

Most people would say coding at Amazon is probably a could gig, and if one felt "abused" one could easily take their skills to some other top tier employer. No doubt the politicians that offered incentives to locate the warehouse in some rust belt area are looking out for their own interest in trying to secure enough jobs so their "district" does not evaporate and they lose their cushy gig "representing" a dying area. Quite an interesting development. I can't wait for the Michael Moore "documentary"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment