Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 10:48 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,678,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Put the key of despair into the lock of apathy. Turn the knob of mediocrity slowly and open the gates of despondency - welcome to a day in the average office.
David Brent
Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,187,533 times
Quote:
I Could just about put up with a job if I was earning something else on the side, like a business.

Project Management, and Planning Certification - to increase my daily rate and employability.

A Business, but seems so difficult, and where to start?

Start creating websites, for passive income - but this seems to hit or miss, not really a definate money maker.

My dream is to come into work - making money on the side with a business- and just sit there smiling at the conceited *******s we have to tolerate in your average office job.

While at the same performing better than them at your Job, and rising up the career ladder.

The only way to beat *******s at work - is to simply out earn them - thats the only thing they really care about.
Why don't you just start a business. Period. Not a "side business" but a real one?

You sound quite a lot like my husband and I. We started our own business and have been very happy with it. There are very long hours involved, but it is paying off for us and most importantly, we don't have to deal with any of the issues you mention in your post.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 07-07-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
EXACTLY!

Oh, and you're right - most of what we were taught to believe growing up was a lie.
I don't know that it was a lie, at the time. I do think that some of the older what I call "conventional wisdoms" no longer ring true in the, pardon the corporate cliche here, "New Normal".

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,142,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post
This happened to me a few years back when I got on my managers bad side because I answered a few questions he didn't have the answer to in a meeting.....
The other thing you notice is, these environments are become more and more cut throat - everyone in departments are trying to force each other out of their jobs - as soon as your doing the same job as anyone they look at you as competition - backstab, withhold info, undermine.

They might act ok to your face, but peer below the surface - and every corporate environment its like everyone is running their own business - and your in competition with everyone to hold on to your job.

When someone leaves the hangers on in department love to see this - because they know a new person has to come in learn everything - they will do their utmost to make the new start life difficult, withhold info and slow them down as much as possible in the hope they will get frustrated and leave - and then there job is more secure.

In fact these hanger on types enjoy seeing chaos, dysfunction, poor systems, poor procedures, disorganisation - because they can hide easily.

I see it everyday - A well practiced strategy to make their jobs more secure.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Some things I've learned through 35 years of office and other dysfunctional work place environments:

- Sometimes it's best to "play dumb"

- It's wise to know when to speak up and when to stay quiet (hard to do sometimes)

- Sometimes people are victims of their own "success". (I've personally vowed never to get caught in THAT trap again.)

- Get out somehow if a job is actually killing your spirit. (My last job was like that - getting out saved my self-respect.)

- There's no perfect job, all of us are working harder these days. But realize when you are playing a Zero Sum Game.

- As another poster said, get from your job what is to your best advantage - try to concentrate on THOSE things rather than the negatives.

- Try working out at a gym or do someting else physical to relieve stress after work. Throw in some enjoyable music on the headphones. I look forward to hitting that treadmill almost every day. Much more positive than eating, drinking, medicating, or shopping too much.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,142,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Why don't you just start a business. Period. Not a "side business" but a real one?

You sound quite a lot like my husband and I. We started our own business and have been very happy with it. There are very long hours involved, but it is paying off for us and most importantly, we don't have to deal with any of the issues you mention in your post.

20yrsinBranson
I think its going to be way I will have to go - There are many hardworking, decent people surrounded by childish, immature colleagues doing their upmost everyday to drag others down - and unsupportive people around them who don't have their interests at heart.

Its important to keep positive, and not to give in to these type of people, and keep trying.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,527,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
At my first "professional" job out of college, I would sit at my desk all day, didn't waste time socializing with the others about sports and other pointless garbage, and just you know... did my work. However, I was polite to everyone, said "thank you," "yes sir," "yes ma'am," etc.

Well, this nasty old bag of a manager came by my desk one day and accused me of not being a "team player." Then she said "Do you have any friends?" with this nasty tone. I almost came unglued. I couldn't believe how blatantly rude she was being.

That was really my first taste of the nastiness that infects most office environments and it made my stomach turn. Here I was doing a good job, quietly working all day, and I get viciously attacked for it.

I eventually was laid off from that job along with two other people, both nice, down to Earth people who kept to themselves for the most part. One of the others who was laid off I had overheard being reprimanded at one point because she was very quiet. I heard one of the managers say to her face "why don't you talk to anybody?" and there were all sorts of nasty comments going around, mainly from the other women, about her being a stuck up snob.

I saw something similar when I got out of college. Showing up to work, doing my job, minding my business. I think some of these people go to work like they are stepping onto a battlefield.

I don't know how they get away with it.

Perhaps they are connected to someone, some boss likes them, they are related to someone higher up, but is that true for the majority of those types?

How do they get away with it? How can they be so bold? How come no repercussions?

If those people think everyone is a "snob", they don't get it, that everyone doesn't want to BEFRIEND them, and wants to come to work to work, and earn their pay.

Most I have worked with, I don't want to be their "friend". Why do we have to be "friends" and why does management promote this stupid thinking? It's not TEAMWORK. In fact, it's easier to work as a team, when you're not having undercurrents and other drama under the surface.

What happened to being PROFESSIONAL???

Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The other thing you notice is, these environments are become more and more cut throat - everyone in departments are trying to force each other out of their jobs - as soon as your doing the same job as anyone they look at you as competition - backstab, withhold info, undermine.

They might act ok to your face, but peer below the surface - and every corporate environment its like everyone is running their own business - and your in competition with everyone to hold on to your job.

When someone leaves the hangers on in department love to see this - because they know a new person has to come in learn everything - they will do their utmost to make the new start life difficult, withhold info and slow them down as much as possible in the hope they will get frustrated and leave - and then there job is more secure.

In fact these hanger on types enjoy seeing chaos, dysfunction, poor systems, poor procedures, disorganisation - because they can hide easily.

I see it everyday - A well practiced strategy to make their jobs more secure.

I just had this happen to me. And when their hostility didn't drive me out, they got me fired. The clique was so strong, and the manager was so wrapped around their little fingers.

I came on board, was friendly, but I didn't come in and talk about divorce, my womanly functions, what kind of sex I like, you get the picture. I wouldn't hand over my personal business to them on a silver platter.

What is obvious is....they did this to me, and they will do it to each other, though none would ever admit that!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I wondered the same thing. Kind of like the thread where people are struggling with debt and job losses, and someone always has to come on and talk about how they're debt free and have a great pension etc.; OK, yay you, now move on.

They always do that. I guess they played the game well. Maybe the scars to prove it. Pensions and retirement are the new status symbols.

And, you are right, this stuff is wrecking this nation.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

What do you consider a "real business"?

What do you know, as well as any competitor out there, that you could start a business in?

Did you start your business within the past 5 years with the new laws for small businesses?

Where did you get your funding? Most banks don't give loans anymore, and an investor is very hard to find.

Long hours aren't a problem. Have worked a LOT of long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment