Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,599,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Driving around the outskirts of Houston, you see what I like to call McTowns. They have the "planned communities" full of the boring, boxlike cookie cutter McMansions that all look alike. Then you have the strip malls that all look alike with the marquee out front that lists all the businesses with the usual "Arby's, Chilli's, Office Depot, Pets Mart, Super Cuts, etc."

Your typical father who lives in one of these McTowns goes to his McCareer downtown (sitting in a cubicle, doing boring crap in front of a computer screen for 8 hours, kissing some boss's ass), then he drives home and greets the McWife (soccer mom whose entire life revolves around her McBrats) and sits in front of his tv screen watching McShows before going to sleep and repeating the same cycle again.

It's all so bland and boring. Makes me want to move out to the country side and raise goats or something. lol
This is what's happening up here in the Dakotas as well. Personally, I'd prefer a more futuristic house versus the stuff they're building here. Take the typical McMansion: 4000 sq feet with brick trim around the front face of the house (WTF do they do that?) only and a garage that's as big as the house itself. No front porch, just a back porch to check out the back porches of the McTrashy neighbors on the other side. Inside the garage there are usually two seperate vehicles: one is a McVolvo crossover thing that is brand new, cost $40,000 from the big bad dealership, weighs 5000lbs and gets 14mpg in town (but it's green because it's a hybrid!). This is used by the wife-droid to cart around the nasty kids that were the result of a late night romp in the bathtub after too much liquor and Adult Swim during college. The other car is a McHonda Civic thing left over from the husband's college days that's used as a commuter car. Gets 40mpg on the highway and has to be taken to that stupid Honda dealership every other week to fix the crap falling off it. Inside the house, the kitchen has stainless steel appliances that together cost as much as a new car. The sole reason for purchasing said stainless steel appliances is somewhat to make cooking that weird mango-salsa tapioca chicken recipe somewhat easier and mostly to impress the pea brained next door neighbors when they visit every other day (just for the free food nyuk nyuk nyuk). The kids have the latest Made-In-China electronic trinkets in their rooms to either shut them up or for them to throw at each other (look out for that flying LCD!) and the bathroom has HIS and HER toilets, bathtubs, sinks, closets, and anything else you can cram into the bathroom. Don't forget the stupid dog that every cookie cutter suburban home has to have (here Fido, play catch with the Freightliner).

The husband, who is the main source of income for the family, works as some sort of engineering position at some company downtown designing some plastic trinket that will be MADE IN CHINA and sold at Hobby Lobby or something like that. He drives 20 miles to work and works in a cubicle with a computer and a mound of paperwork (I thought that the office of the future wasn't going to have so much paper!). The boss lives a similar lifestyle but has a bigger cubicle and fancier benefits. After 9 hours of boredom, office politics, and a funky office potluck, the husband drives home to meet his wife-droid who spends a good chunk of her time either on Ebay selling plastic trinkets similar to the ones hubby designs or she's with the other wife-droids talking about either what stupid show Disney is showing on the Disney channel (when is Disney going to go R Rated?) or some drama with the kids acting up all the time (time to bring the kids to the Geek Squad to tune them up). He plops down on the couch to watch Fox News/CNBC and listen to some talking head drone on about the most pressing news story in the world...how did Jessica Simpson fit that butt into those jeans? He eventually turns off the TV, goes with the family to eat dinner, sticks the dog in the freezer for the night, sends the kids to bed, and he and the wife go into the bedroom and argue about how they don't have any money left over after the bills are paid (or not paid depending on spending habits). Sometimes you can hear the lamp or something hit the wall...scary!!!

The point of my rant here is to show that the whole corporate lifestyle is really sad...and kind of scary. I'm not surprised that more people aren't dropping out of this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,703,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
This is what's happening up here in the Dakotas as well. Personally, I'd prefer a more futuristic house versus the stuff they're building here. Take the typical McMansion: 4000 sq feet with brick trim around the front face of the house (WTF do they do that?) only and a garage that's as big as the house itself. No front porch, just a back porch to check out the back porches of the McTrashy neighbors on the other side. Inside the garage there are usually two seperate vehicles: one is a McVolvo crossover thing that is brand new, cost $40,000 from the big bad dealership, weighs 5000lbs and gets 14mpg in town (but it's green because it's a hybrid!). This is used by the wife-droid to cart around the nasty kids that were the result of a late night romp in the bathtub after too much liquor and Adult Swim during college. The other car is a McHonda Civic thing left over from the husband's college days that's used as a commuter car. Gets 40mpg on the highway and has to be taken to that stupid Honda dealership every other week to fix the crap falling off it. Inside the house, the kitchen has stainless steel appliances that together cost as much as a new car. The sole reason for purchasing said stainless steel appliances is somewhat to make cooking that weird mango-salsa tapioca chicken recipe somewhat easier and mostly to impress the pea brained next door neighbors when they visit every other day (just for the free food nyuk nyuk nyuk). The kids have the latest Made-In-China electronic trinkets in their rooms to either shut them up or for them to throw at each other (look out for that flying LCD!) and the bathroom has HIS and HER toilets, bathtubs, sinks, closets, and anything else you can cram into the bathroom. Don't forget the stupid dog that every cookie cutter suburban home has to have (here Fido, play catch with the Freightliner).

The husband, who is the main source of income for the family, works as some sort of engineering position at some company downtown designing some plastic trinket that will be MADE IN CHINA and sold at Hobby Lobby or something like that. He drives 20 miles to work and works in a cubicle with a computer and a mound of paperwork (I thought that the office of the future wasn't going to have so much paper!). The boss lives a similar lifestyle but has a bigger cubicle and fancier benefits. After 9 hours of boredom, office politics, and a funky office potluck, the husband drives home to meet his wife-droid who spends a good chunk of her time either on Ebay selling plastic trinkets similar to the ones hubby designs or she's with the other wife-droids talking about either what stupid show Disney is showing on the Disney channel (when is Disney going to go R Rated?) or some drama with the kids acting up all the time (time to bring the kids to the Geek Squad to tune them up). He plops down on the couch to watch Fox News/CNBC and listen to some talking head drone on about the most pressing news story in the world...how did Jessica Simpson fit that butt into those jeans? He eventually turns off the TV, goes with the family to eat dinner, sticks the dog in the freezer for the night, sends the kids to bed, and he and the wife go into the bedroom and argue about how they don't have any money left over after the bills are paid (or not paid depending on spending habits). Sometimes you can hear the lamp or something hit the wall...scary!!!

The point of my rant here is to show that the whole corporate lifestyle is really sad...and kind of scary. I'm not surprised that more people aren't dropping out of this stuff.
How dismissive. Maybe raising goats in the country is your answer.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I remember a quote from another website that is perfect for this problem you stated here.

"In a bad organization, **** tend to float to the top."
This may true, but in the end.... a bad organization doesn't survive. So from an employee perspective... it's best if you move on anyways.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM

455 posts, read 656,493 times
Now, i understand why people use and abuse drugs and alcohol. Working in an office or anywhere in general will give you reasons to start using those substances.

I also now understand why my dad played the lottery so much.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,150,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Now, i understand why people use and abuse drugs and alcohol. Working in an office or anywhere in general will give you reasons to start using those substances.

I also now understand why my dad played the lottery so much.

The average corporate job is so political and hyper competitive, give 110 percent etc, its almost like running for president or training for the Olympics but here is the kicker you don't get a gold medal, remembered, glory, fame or a legacy- you get a paycheque with some benefits if your lucky, a phone and a desk.

So you forced to disengage and get by, or play the game get all hyper competitive about the smallest issues, work during days off, and pretend to be interested in the entire company - when to the majority of us the all nonsense in the average workplace is not that important.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM

994 posts, read 1,599,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This may true, but in the end.... a bad organization doesn't survive. So from an employee perspective... it's best if you move on anyways.
That is also correct. The bad organizations eventually sink like an old fishing boat. Get off the leaky boat while you can!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,708,363 times
I'm with the OP on this one. I don't like the corporate environment either. The pay is usually too low, hours are long and you can get laid off really easily. Those corporations don't care about people anymore, it is all about profits. I am searching for where to go in terms of my career but I feel that corporate jobs aren't any good. What can I do with a journalism degree though? Does anyone have any answers?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I'm with the OP on this one. I don't like the corporate environment either. The pay is usually too low, hours are long and you can get laid off really easily. Those corporations don't care about people anymore, it is all about profits. I am searching for where to go in terms of my career but I feel that corporate jobs aren't any good. What can I do with a journalism degree though? Does anyone have any answers?
You can start a magazine, blog, website, radio show, etc. You'll be in charge of your pay, your hours, and your layoffs.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,150,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
This one of the reasons why people don't talk about salary because often the pay in many corporate jobs is fairly poor for the level of work work required. Corporate workers like to put on a front of being well off but often their on pretty average incomes, with fragile job security.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,742,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
This one of the reasons why people don't talk about salary because often the pay in many corporate jobs is fairly poor for the level of work work required.
That may be one reason why; another could be because people at the same level in the company hierarchy, even with similar qualifications and experience, don't necessarily make the same wage and that's the easiest way to kill morale, foster resentment and create enemies within. I guess the term 'you're worth what you can negotiate' comes into play here in a major way, but salary and bonus chat is a big 'no-no' in corporate land. That's opening a BIG can of worms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment