Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,978 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year I was working for a local company that thought that wages and benefits from the 1980's were still great and treated their sales reps terribly. But because I had just relocated to the area and I had ten years of experience in what this company sells, it was about the only employment that I could find. I knew it was a bad fit when I went through some of my client's files and saw that they have had 5-6 sales reps in the past 5 years, this place could not keep their reps for longer than 6-12 months on average. I was working twice as hard as I had ever worked and was making half as much as I did before. So after 6 months I really started to slack off, I figured that I will make the same amount of money if I slack or if I bust my butt. My boss did not like my new attitude and gave me 45 days to shape up.

What a great kick in the pants that 45 day period was, the first thing I did was go home and start cranking out resumes. I eventually landed a job with a national company that has great benefits and an incredible commission structure. I just figured out that my commission check for next month will be worth about 4 months of commission checks from my last job. I am almost tempted to drop in to see my old manager and wave my commission check in front of his face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 PM

943 posts, read 4,260,147 times
Always good to hear a feel good story on the W&E forum. It can get pretty somber on this forum at times. Congrats.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,465,198 times
Good for you~!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,944,596 times
Hahaha--love it Good for you!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Earlier this year I was working for a local company that thought that wages and benefits from the 1980's were still great and treated their sales reps terribly. But because I had just relocated to the area and I had ten years of experience in what this company sells, it was about the only employment that I could find. I knew it was a bad fit when I went through some of my client's files and saw that they have had 5-6 sales reps in the past 5 years, this place could not keep their reps for longer than 6-12 months on average. I was working twice as hard as I had ever worked and was making half as much as I did before. So after 6 months I really started to slack off, I figured that I will make the same amount of money if I slack or if I bust my butt. My boss did not like my new attitude and gave me 45 days to shape up.

What a great kick in the pants that 45 day period was, the first thing I did was go home and start cranking out resumes. I eventually landed a job with a national company that has great benefits and an incredible commission structure. I just figured out that my commission check for next month will be worth about 4 months of commission checks from my last job. I am almost tempted to drop in to see my old manager and wave my commission check in front of his face.
Exactly too many disfunctional companies - that never get the message - and wonder why turnover is so high - then they have go out and spend money and hire new people.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Exactly too many disfunctional companies - that never get the message - and wonder why turnover is so high - then they have go out and spend money and hire new people.
Agreed. Good for you, OP!

My company went through a merger a couple of months ago and we have a lot of management that agrees to project timelines that are impossible for the workers to meet without working insane hours. I worked 70 hrs last week and felt like I had to do it to remain employed. But I am going to leave the company when I get something better - so now they'll be down another person. It's a cycle of dysfunction.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,050,174 times
Always happy to see anything good here. Congrats to you!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
oh, that has got to be sweeet.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Unfortunately there seems to be way too many people who would just complain and never do anything to fix their situation. Good for you for actually helping yourself.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:52 PM

806 posts, read 2,885,625 times
Fear is a great motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment