Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,144,128 times

Advertisements

People talk about Burnout - But then biggest issue is Boreout - So many jobs are so far away from the central purpose, or function of a Business, or have little decision making ability, or any chance to show creativity - There just overheads and very hard to tie to adding value to a Business - therefore they become boring, pointless and tedious.

So many careers are just exercises in absolute boredem, except its almost a taboo to admit your job is boring and adds little value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,532,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
People talk about Burnout - But then biggest issue is Boreout - So many jobs are so far away from the central purpose, or function of a Business, or have little decision making ability, or any chance to show creativity - There just overheads and very hard to tie to adding value to a Business - therefore they become boring, pointless and tedious.

So many careers are just exercises in absolute boredem, except its almost a taboo to admit your job is boring and adds little value.

Or that a job is just doing whatever the boss or his/her court jesters don't want to do. I had a job and was told after I was hired that my schedule was based on all of the hours my coworkers didn't want to work.

How is that for setting up bad feelings toward coworkers? I knew just what was being said and what it was supposed to ellicit.

Most of these places are just drama factories. So much could be done with far fewer workers. Companies thought they were getting rid of the "dead weight' long ago, but they kept a lot of the political ones, and cut off the good workers.

People get fed up. After working years at these places, one has little patience left for this.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,230,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What do you consider a "real business"?
I am not the person you are asking but I can answer many of these questions. A business is an independent entity that sells a product or service for a profit (basically less than you attained it for). The independent entity can be a person.
Quote:

What do you know, as well as any competitor out there, that you could start a business in?
I know how to manage cashflow.
Quote:

Did you start your business within the past 5 years with the new laws for small businesses?
I bought a business that was failing within the last 5 years and started another micro-business.
Quote:

Where did you get your funding? Most banks don't give loans anymore, and an investor is very hard to find.
A bank. You are wrong about investor funding btw. Private equity is easier than ever due to the market conditions. You can even get PE from foreign investors that are pulling their money out of Europe.
Quote:

Long hours aren't a problem. Have worked a LOT of long hours.
Yea, I agree. The long hours aren't the hard part. The dedication and the impact it can have on your stress levels in the beginning can be a little rough.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I am not the person you are asking but I can answer many of these questions. A business is an independent entity that sells a product or service for a profit (basically less than you attained it for). The independent entity can be a person.
I know what a business is. I was asking them what they were terming "a real business" as opposed to a not real business?

Quote:
I know how to manage cashflow.
What does that have to do with the question to the other poster?
Quote:
I bought a business that was failing within the last 5 years and started another micro-business.
Then you must have known all about that product or service, enough to be able to be competitive or provide it cheaper, so that is commendable.

Quote:
A bank. You are wrong about investor funding btw. Private equity is easier than ever due to the market conditions. You can even get PE from foreign investors that are pulling their money out of Europe.
Hmm...the SBA, and SCORE both told me I could not get a bank loan due to new regulations. To work in my field, I'd need millions for equipment, etc. But that isn't the hard part. The hard part is drumming up work, finding those who would need my line of work. That right now is monopolized by really big businesses.
Nope, could not find an investor, because I was not able to find work in my field. My line of work is very specific, not many go into it solo, most is done in big operations, hospitals, etc. They have the money and are able to get the business.

Quote:
Yea, I agree. The long hours aren't the hard part. The dedication and the impact it can have on your stress levels in the beginning can be a little rough.
Not as bad as working for someone else who is unreasonable. There is a difference between hard work, and craziness.

When one looks at what one can do, what one's skills are, one's education and talents, it is very hard to just go out there and hang a sign.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I know what a business is. I was asking them what they were terming "a real business" as opposed to a not real business?
Got it. Clearly my definition is more liberal than the other posters.
Quote:
What does that have to do with the question to the other poster?
It appears I misunderstood the question.
Quote:
Then you must have known all about that product or service, enough to be able to be competitive or provide it cheaper, so that is commendable.
I took over a failing franchise. I already had a franchise with the franchiser in another town so I knew the business model already.
Quote:
Hmm...the SBA, and SCORE both told me I could not get a bank loan due to new regulations. To work in my field, I'd need millions for equipment, etc. But that isn't the hard part. The hard part is drumming up work, finding those who would need my line of work. That right now is monopolized by really big businesses.
Nope, could not find an investor, because I was not able to find work in my field. My line of work is very specific, not many go into it solo, most is done in big operations, hospitals, etc. They have the money and are able to get the business.
I didn't use a cold application for the loan. I have had a long term relationship with my bank.

As for private equity, have you tried pitching your idea to folks at clubs?

Your business seems to have a high start-up cost. It's going to be near impossible without having proven you can succeed at it.
Quote:
Not as bad as working for someone else who is unreasonable. There is a difference between hard work, and craziness.

When one looks at what one can do, what one's skills are, one's education and talents, it is very hard to just go out there and hang a sign.
I hear ya.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Got it. Clearly my definition is more liberal than the other posters.

It appears I misunderstood the question.

I took over a failing franchise. I already had a franchise with the franchiser in another town so I knew the business model already.

I didn't use a cold application for the loan. I have had a long term relationship with my bank.

As for private equity, have you tried pitching your idea to folks at clubs?

Your business seems to have a high start-up cost. It's going to be near impossible without having proven you can succeed at it.

I hear ya.

Medical services aren't pitched at clubs. There is a level of professionalism, and it takes a lot of money to do what I do alone. Most that have gone alone don't make it. It is very hard to drum up business.

If you can afford a franchise, you have money.
I do not have "private equity", aka, I am not rich.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Medical services aren't pitched at clubs. There is a level of professionalism, and it takes a lot of money to do what I do alone. Most that have gone alone don't make it. It is very hard to drum up business.

If you can afford a franchise, you have money.
I do not have "private equity", aka, I am not rich.
You would be surprised how many doctors are pitching medical services at my country club. Even when I was in Miami last week, there was a radiologist pitching a new business model at the Don Shula country club. All sorts of business is done at the clubs. No one considers it unprofessional.

I've been saving up since I first started working at 14 to be independent.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You would be surprised how many doctors are pitching medical services at my country club. Even when I was in Miami last week, there was a radiologist pitching a new business model at the Don Shula country club. All sorts of business is done at the clubs. No one considers it unprofessional.

I've been saving up since I first started working at 14 to be independent.
This wasn't for doctors' services, and I am very familiar with what I am talking about.
I am not impressed by country clubs.
It's just rich people networking.

Why do you think I can afford to belong to a country club?

This is being to feel trollish to me.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,208,745 times
Quote:
What do you consider a "real business"?

What do you know, as well as any competitor out there, that you could start a business in?

Did you start your business within the past 5 years with the new laws for small businesses?

Where did you get your funding? Most banks don't give loans anymore, and an investor is very hard to find.

Long hours aren't a problem. Have worked a LOT of long hours.
A real business is something that you commit yourself body and soul to. Not something that you "dabble" in to make a little extra money on the side, and don't really care if it succeeds or not.

I don't understand your second question.

We started our business in 2010, so I am well familiar with the laws (and taxes).

I got my funding when my mother passed away and I received a modest inheritance. Prior to that I was applying through the SBA for a microloan.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
A real business is something that you commit yourself body and soul to. Not something that you "dabble" in to make a little extra money on the side, and don't really care if it succeeds or not.

I don't understand your second question.

We started our business in 2010, so I am well familiar with the laws (and taxes).

I got my funding when my mother passed away and I received a modest inheritance. Prior to that I was applying through the SBA for a microloan.

20yrsinBranson

Most of us don't have a "modest inheritance" to start a business with. We have to get an investor, which is very hard these days. Banks aren't giving out loans, by the way. Actually, the SBA told me this.

I wasn't talking about a mentality. I get that. I am talking about what kind of business you have that is profitable. What goods or services you sell.

Do you manufacture an item better than others? Do you supply silicon wafers or make self-locking screws? Or do you have something like a dog-sitting business, that just supplements your inheritance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment