Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM

132 posts, read 315,415 times

Advertisements

The media is full of stories about the long term unemployed. Some are discouraged workers who just have stopped trying and others are aggressively looking for work but no matter how many places they apply and interview at, they just can't find a job.

A relative of mine I was talking to at Christmas told me he is a discouraged worker. His career started out OK but then he made some bad choices and got burned by some bad bosses, and experienced some really nasty office politics and eventually got caught up by the huge downsizing from the recession and now he has been out of work for over four years. He tries sending out resumes now and then but they go into the dead letter office and he hears nothing. All his interviews are fruitless. So during the last couple of years he just stopped trying and is convinced there are just no jobs out there. His sister puts him up and pays him a few hundred dollars a year to watch the kids. But he spends the majority of his time in his room in the basement watching TV.

Is there more people like that out there than society wants to admit. What should family do about him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
The media is full of stories about the long term unemployed. Some are discouraged workers who just have stopped trying and others are aggressively looking for work but no matter how many places they apply and interview at, they just can't find a job.

A relative of mine I was talking to at Christmas told me he is a discouraged worker. His career started out OK but then he made some bad choices and got burned by some bad bosses, and experienced some really nasty office politics and eventually got caught up by the huge downsizing from the recession and now he has been out of work for over four years. He tries sending out resumes now and then but they go into the dead letter office and he hears nothing. All his interviews are fruitless. So during the last couple of years he just stopped trying and is convinced there are just no jobs out there. His sister puts him up and pays him a few hundred dollars a year to watch the kids. But he spends the majority of his time in his room in the basement watching TV.

Is there more people like that out there than society wants to admit. What should family do about him?
Four years is a long time. He could have been back at school doing something to create a change.

There's jobs where there are a lot more office politics than others. For example:

- Wall street trader ... office politics ... high
- Veterinarian ... office politics ... low

Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
The media is full of stories
You are too, Snooper. You are too.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,367 times
He could also be suffering from depression. Constant rejection can do that to you.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Quote:

Maybe suggest to him that an office setting is not the place for him. It isn't for me either. I HATE the office politics I have to put with and the no good, weaselly characters who infest these places. I get sick of dealing with the slackers who are in good with management, the high school cliquish behavior, the miserable 50-something Eeyore types, the two-faced types who smile to your face and then bash you as soon as you leave the room, not to mention the ones who are downright rude and nasty just because they can be. I'm also tired of the really average people who act like they know everything and are so much smarter than everybody else, tooting their own horns and looking down their noses at people who they think are lower than them. That arrogance really bothers me.

Can't he try something completely different? I'm talking about maybe getting some kind of apprenticeship or enrolling in a certification program at a CC for a different line of work, something not done in an office. I refuse to believe that you have to be pidgeonholed in a certain line of work the rest of your life, that it is impossible to do anything else.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 12-29-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,340 times
He sounds depressed. Since, he doesn't like the office environment he should look into some work from home types of jobs or freelance work. There are legit companies that hire folks to take customer service calls from home. The pay is low but at least he would be able to earn some money and maybe build his confidence up a bit. Depending on the field he is in he could try doing freelance work. Also, he could benefit from talking to a professional about his depression.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,176 times
I think he's probably depressed. I know someone like him. Give us more info. What type of occupation did the person do? What else can he do? Education? Other demographics? Where does he live? I totally understand him. But he's got to deal with it. He's got to beat depression. He also needs to cover up that 4 year gap. Are you serious? Employers look at you like you have 2 heads if you have a 1 year or 2 year gap. 4 years? They won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. They're biased. Cover the gap and see if it helps.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I think he's probably depressed. I know someone like him. Give us more info. What type of occupation did the person do? What else can he do? Education? Other demographics? Where does he live? I totally understand him. But he's got to deal with it. He's got to beat depression. He also needs to cover up that 4 year gap. Are you serious? Employers look at you like you have 2 heads if you have a 1 year or 2 year gap. 4 years? They won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. They're biased. Cover the gap and see if it helps.

Let's just hope someone is sensitive about his situation. Yes, some employers will even do that with LESS than a year out of work. Maybe someone will give him a chance instead of writing him off. But he will need to explain himself about the 4 year gap.

I hope he gets out of that dark place if he is indeed depressed.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
He sounds depressed. Since, he doesn't like the office environment he should look into some work from home types of jobs or freelance work. There are legit companies that hire folks to take customer service calls from home. The pay is low but at least he would be able to earn some money and maybe build his confidence up a bit. Depending on the field he is in he could try doing freelance work. Also, he could benefit from talking to a professional about his depression.
I agree that depression is possibly a problem.

Perhaps he could look for jobs that do not involve a lot of contact with co-workers. I know someone who worked as a night watchman someplace. He was the only person there and spent about half of the time patrolling the grounds on foot and in a van and the other half of the time sitting, by himself, in the patrol booth reading and listening to music.

Others probably would have hated to work from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, all alone, but he loved it. He said it was like a continuous paid vacation.

Your relative should "think outside the box" to look for something new.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Perhaps he could look for jobs that do not involve a lot of contact with co-workers. I know someone who worked as a night watchman someplace. He was the only person there and spent about half of the time patrolling the grounds on foot and in a van and the other half of the time sitting, by himself, in the patrol booth reading and listening to music.

Others probably would have hated to work from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, all alone, but he loved it. He said it was like a continuous paid vacation.
Sounds like Heaven. The pay must suck though.

I'm sure truck driving is a lot like that, but they are paid better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment