Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:30 PM

141 posts, read 429,421 times

Advertisements

I am an Admin Asst. for a city office. We are all grouped together but have different responsibilites obviously. I have shall we say "loyalty" to my direct sup. but feel conflicted when I hear other dept. sups. "bashing" her. Alot of the inuendos get brushed off and she talks just as much trash but my problem is when is enough. I am located at the end of a hall so no one can really get to me on accident. They come with the gossip or stop and converse among themselves. I am just past my probationary period but this is a city job ( economy sucks right now). How do I keep the gossipers away? Do I tell my sup about the comments that are made about her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
"I like working for "Ms. Jones" she's fine to me" and change the subject. People will always bash others and look for you to comment. Believe me, people love tattling back what you say.

I have learned one thing at work...don't gossip!!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Honest, I have been thinking about what survival tactics I'll use when and if I ever have a job again. Some of them may sound a little silly, but they work. You mentioned that you are at the end of a hall. Always look extremely busy and mumble that you can't break loose right now. While you are doing this don't make eye contact. Another favorite of mine, especially in a group situation is, "I'm so sorry, my ear is stopped up a bit. I didn't catch what you said," and look away. Most will get the message. Once the head gossip/stinkstirrer said, "you sure have a lot of ear problems." I replied, "yes" with a dazzling smile. She stopped after that. I am mentally picturing the current politics at a government job of any kind, which are so hard to come by right now. Unfortunately, you are "fresh meat" to the stink stirrers and gossips. Put on the mental blinders, ear plugs and muzzle every day and react as little as possible. Don't give them any fuel -- chances are that they will invent enough on their own. Good luck and congratulations on passing the probabtionary period.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:46 PM

98 posts, read 99,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
I am an Admin Asst. for a city office. We are all grouped together but have different responsibilites obviously. I have shall we say "loyalty" to my direct sup. but feel conflicted when I hear other dept. sups. "bashing" her. Alot of the inuendos get brushed off and she talks just as much trash but my problem is when is enough. I am located at the end of a hall so no one can really get to me on accident. They come with the gossip or stop and converse among themselves. I am just past my probationary period but this is a city job ( economy sucks right now). How do I keep the gossipers away? Do I tell my sup about the comments that are made about her?
Be loyal to your boss, as Gypsy said. She's the one who (maybe not literally) signs your checks; you should just ignore the gossip and do your best for your boss.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:38 PM

141 posts, read 429,421 times
Thanks, this is my first time working admin in this type of setting and I thought I wouldn't make it out of the probationary period let alone deal with the other madness. It really does hurt though cause she gave me a chance and to hear others talk about her just sucks...

Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Sounds like an awful workplace. Start looking for another job. It will most likely progressively get worse. This is the start of them pitting you against her. It is the first phase of brainwashing. Before you know it you will be taking a stand against the boss when she explodes at you or wrongs you, then all the others gossiping will back down and side with the boss. That is how it always works. This is to eliminate an employee that nobody likes. How do I know? Let me tell you about my past job from a long time ago.

I was in the same situation. Co-workers would come to work one at a time saying really negative things about The Director. The director was a real insensitive witch, no doubt about it, she even looked like a witch, she never smiled, had warts, mean eyes, was rude, etc. But all these co-workers were two-faced. They were suck ups. They probably secretly admired her. It was very strange how The Director let them get away with mistakes and flaws too. They also spread gossip about me to the director which would make her enraged with me. So I had all sorts of problems there. Nothing could be done about it. I left the job. So did a few other people because they couldn't suck up good enough and do the whole two-faced BS routine.

The bottom line is that these co-workers are really the boss's hench-people. They aren't really against the boss. They are against you. They are trying to feed you to the hungry lion. Start looking for another job. And try to keep the peace with everyone while it lasts.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-22-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Unincorporated Resident, you can and will be able to make it. You just need a crash course in office survival and there are plenty on this forum up to the task! First and foremost, you were hired. Remember that always. Second, you made it through the probationary period. Go buy something nice for yourself for that achievement -- you deserve it. Third -- you'll need to scope out the situation and really get a feel for the particular situation. While you're doing this, say as little as possible. Always, always, appear very busy and don't trust anybody -- you can't afford to this early in the game. This probably sounds a bit paranoid and extreme, but I know the nature of slit throat work situations and so do plenty of our other posters. I don't care how "toxic" the situation seems - many positions are going to be about the same right now. Currently, these government jobs are highly desired because of their stability. You're going to have to play some mind games with them, but don't let that get you down. It's very possible that you were hired over one of their buddies, relatives, etc. There is always someone waiting in the wings for a government job in bad economic times. Keep a journal at home, completely away from work, and document the worst scenarios. DM if you want more specific suggestions -- I am full of them.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM

98 posts, read 99,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Sounds like an awful workplace. Start looking for another job. It will most likely progressively get worse. This is the start of them pitting you against her. It is the first phase of brainwashing. Before you know it you will be taking a stand against the boss when she explodes at you or wrongs you, then all the others gossiping will back down and side with the boss. That is how it always works. This is to eliminate an employee that nobody likes. How do I know? Let me tell you about my past job from a long time ago.

I was in the same situation. Co-workers would come to work one at a time saying really negative things about The Director. The director was a real insensitive witch, no doubt about it, she even looked like a witch, she never smiled, had warts, mean eyes, was rude, etc. But all these co-workers were two-faced. They were suck ups. They probably secretly admired her. It was very strange how The Director let them get away with mistakes and flaws too. They also spread gossip about me to the director which would make her enraged with me. So I had all sorts of problems there. Nothing could be done about it. I left the job. So did a few other people because they couldn't suck up good enough and do the whole two-faced BS routine.

The bottom line is that these co-workers are really the boss's hench-people. They aren't really against the boss. They are against you. They are trying to feed you to the hungry lion. Start looking for another job. And try to keep the peace with everyone while it lasts.
If you haven't noticed, jobs are hard to come by these days. And you'll find office politics EVERYWHERE. Admins especially have to navigate the political waters of any job. The best advice is to try and stay above the fray and be loyal to the one who hired you. It's difficult, but a necessary talent these days.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
What is your point? In general the less people you work with the less intense the politics. I'd take a job working with a smaller paycheck and working with fewer people over a large team of cut throat mobster-wanna-bes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneke View Post
If you haven't noticed, jobs are hard to come by these days. And you'll find office politics EVERYWHERE. Admins especially have to navigate the political waters of any job. The best advice is to try and stay above the fray and be loyal to the one who hired you. It's difficult, but a necessary talent these days.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
Whatever you do do not join them in talking about others. Just ask to be excused to do something evrytime and before you know it they will go to others that gossip. They are looking for others to support ehit opinion. They likely also repeat everthing said to thier co-workers; of course leaving out anyhting they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment