Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM

303 posts, read 596,087 times

Advertisements

My boss has put me in an awkward situation and I'm not sure how I should respond.

I work directly for the Director of IT. He is currently engaged in a battle of wills against the VP of another department. That VP, whenever he doesn't like the answer my DIT gives, will go off and do his own thing. This results in computer equipment that belongs to the VP's department (not IS assets, but still purchased with corporate funds), etc. The VP will come to me with questions about things, and the two don't really talk to each other.

As a result of this animosity, my DIT refuses to buy anything for other users in the VP's department. I have a user in that department who needs a DVI cable for her second monitor to connect to both her laptop's docking station and a Mac Mini.

The laptop is ours.
The docking station is ours.
The monitor is not ours.
The Mac Mini is not ours.

Purchasing is done via my DIT, so I go to him to ask to buy the cable, he asks why she needs a DVI since we primarily still use VGA. I mention its for her monitor. He asks who the monitor belongs to, and then tells me flat-out no, and instructs me to tell the user to go to the VP.

This isn't the only instance, and I'm caught in the middle. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,715,883 times
Advice #1: Do as your DIT says, go to the user and say 'As per instructions from my supervisor, please submit equipment requests through your VP.' And leave it to the DIT and VP to duke it out, there's no reason for you to get 'caught in the middle' otherwise. Just ensure that you follow your supervisor's instructions, so that you are covering your own backside. And make sure to document....

Advice #2: Starting looking for another job. Like NOW.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,443,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Advice #1: Do as your DIT says, go to the user and say 'As per instructions from my supervisor, please submit equipment requests through your VP.' And leave it to the DIT and VP to duke it out, there's no reason for you to get 'caught in the middle' otherwise. Just ensure that you follow your supervisor's instructions, so that you are covering your own backside. And make sure to document....

Advice #2: Starting looking for another job. Like NOW.
I think Greg nailed it.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think Greg nailed it.
Me too. That kind of petty bickering shows a complete lack of professionalism and is not something you want to put up with any longer than you have to. I can see it if we were talking about a couple of hundred thousand dollars, but not a $10-20 cable.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM

303 posts, read 596,087 times
My mindset is, even if the item was 300+ dollars, even if the VP of another department is buying it, it's still purchased using corporate funds, which makes it corporate assets, which makes it OUR responsibility.

If I wanted to re-establish authority, I would be more likely to make sure all purchased hardware is compliant regardless of who signed off on the check. If it's a Mac, it's gotta be joined to our domain, etc etc. Or better yet, re-write the IT policies to prevent purchase of equipment that falls within IS purview (computers, monitors, etc) without prior IS approval.

Just seems like it's super petty to me. As for finding a new job, aside from this pettiness, this is actually the best job I've ever had. And I'm not so sure that I would escape office politics by going elsewhere. :/

Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,112,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
My mindset is, even if the item was 300+ dollars, even if the VP of another department is buying it, it's still purchased using corporate funds, which makes it corporate assets, which makes it OUR responsibility.

If I wanted to re-establish authority, I would be more likely to make sure all purchased hardware is compliant regardless of who signed off on the check. If it's a Mac, it's gotta be joined to our domain, etc etc. Or better yet, re-write the IT policies to prevent purchase of equipment that falls within IS purview (computers, monitors, etc) without prior IS approval.

Just seems like it's super petty to me. As for finding a new job, aside from this pettiness, this is actually the best job I've ever had. And I'm not so sure that I would escape office politics by going elsewhere. :/
No joke. I've worked many places and I have yet to see anywhere that is 100% free of any of it. It's just human nature.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,537 times
Same as users above STAY OUT OF IT. Do as your DIT says. Office politics you cannot escape it. You simply have to play the game. I've been a victim of office politics and believe it's not fun. If you can't beat them than join them.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,715,883 times
Quote:

You're overthinking it, and putting yourself in the middle needlessly. Your supervisor gave you instructions, unless they are legally, ethically or morally wrong carry them out. Do not make yourself the lightning rod between the two unprofessional managers because trust me, you'll be out on your butt before you know it and they'll still be there being petty.....and employed.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,146,648 times
Quote:
Wise man, a workplace without at least some lame politics may not exist. But maybe there's room for you to say little, harmless things that could steer your boss. Like maybe: "what should he do, go to Staples?", or "but how would they get that done then?" or "but no one is using that." Just common sense statements that might make him realize he's being an unprofessional POS. But that's my style, I've got bxlls on the job and always get away with it one way or another. Some folks above clearly do not. The key is feigning respect on the outside, while owning em inside.

Last edited by Back to NE; 08-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: another thought

Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 PM

23,600 posts, read 24,130,589 times
Sounds petty to me. Good advice is to look for another job or another position outside of the department. Being in the middle "sucks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment