Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Change your career isn't that easy & nearly impossible if you are older than say 35. You can't just wave a magic wand and start new.
Why not? You will have to start at the bottom, but you can change your career if you hate the one you currently have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Why not? You will have to start at the bottom, but you can change your career if you hate the one you currently have.
Let me know how that works & is done in this day & age.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
The one professional job that I had, I felt the same way. I was so out of my element in professional clothes and I didn't like my job. I especially didn't like having to pay to dry-clean clothes when I hardly made the money for it.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,547 times
Just started a new job - there are 10 other people doing the same job - no best practises, little feedback, guidance, or management, sitting at my desk in silence struggling through problems by myself that could be solved easily with some support, talk guidance, and help. Everyone's performance could be increased with more team work, systems and procedures. But what happens is people work in isolation, won't share knowledge.

This is the problem - you join a company - but the reality is your never working for a company your always working for yourself, there are no managers, no teams, just an infrastructure computer systems, offices, below the outward fascade of an organisation- its every man or woman for him or herself.

You may as well be running your own business. I think the people who most frustrated with corporate life - forget they are always working for themselves - there expecting to managed, movtivated - they lose the instincts.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM

243 posts, read 1,629,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Just started a new job - there are 10 other people doing the same job - no best practises, little feedback, guidance, or management, sitting at my desk in silence struggling through problems by myself that could be solved easily with some support, talk guidance, and help. Everyone's performance could be increased with more team work, systems and procedures. But what happens is people work in isolation, won't share knowledge.

This is the problem - you join a company - but the reality is your never working for a company your always working for yourself, there are no managers, no teams, just an infrastructure computer systems, offices, below the outward fascade of an organisation- its every man or woman for him or herself.

You may as well be running your own business. I think the people who most frustrated with corporate life - forget they are always working for themselves - there expecting to managed, movtivated - they lose the instincts.
At least you have 10 other people. I'm the only person at my company that does what I do. I had nobody to learn from, they just made me figure it out.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,547 times
Typical example - we normally start meeting with a Health and Safety moment - and whilst these can be sometimes genuinely interesting, and informative - there mostly no in anyway related to to office environment.

Its now come down ensure you hold the handrail walking down the stairs, wear rubber grips on your shoes whilst walking from car to office, put a cap on your coffee cup, don't leave your appliances plugged in while way etc .... I wonder are these people for real, is this actually the sort of things they worry about.

Or as i expect, just connivance and playing the game.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,410 times
Reminds me of

Office Space TPS Reports - YouTube

Office Space - Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Day - YouTube

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM

314 posts, read 625,745 times
Sounds like a corporation where the managers believe everything should be on auto-pilot.

Quote:

Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Don't forget all of the circular discussions and Strawman arguments one has to put up with on the job. And I agree with you in that colleges train and coddle this type of unproductive behavior (the more you can fake it, the more you are rewarded).

Quote:
our university/college culture is a breeding ground for the corporate armchair employees of the future, the internet only fuels the arm chair experts safe in their comforting little world sitting behind their computer screen.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Yes. And you are right as a fake-team they take it upon themselves to look for anything in order to eliminate a colleague like the reality television show Survivor.

Quote:
Anyone noticed these fake employee types - They are very common in workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment