Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times

Advertisements

What the employer seems to want is the Fake Employee b/c they're "yes" men/women. If all of our offices were efficient and people actually wanted to accomplish something of value, we wouldn't need all these extra people.

In my office, they talk about all this overtime that might be necessary and I think, if you didn't screw around all day, you COULD leave at five and still reach your work goals. My coworker was just told that she needed to "slow down" and "look busy"...even though they're contemplating hiring more temps to get the job done. I feel like I need a pill just to come into work...suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:36 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I feel like I need a pill just to come into work...suggestions?
It doesn't take much money to start up a grocery delivery business, or a painting business, or a handyman business, or any number of small businesses. It just takes some time and word of mouth. Listen to the customer and out hustle your competition. That's it.

I haven't been dependent on anyone for a check in quite some time. And the very thought of being dependent on someone else for a paycheck makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
If all of our offices were efficient and people actually wanted to accomplish something of value, we wouldn't need all these extra people.
Usually people are complaining about not enough jobs.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
In a nutshell - Much of low to mid level Corporate jobs frustrations come down to:

Having Responsibility but no Authority to make any decisions
Having to Produce Good Quality reports, information etc - but so many times the people who need to reports are left out of the decision making, clear information, access to the correct information.

They are given very poor quality information required to input, there often people who have all the information required but sometimes purposely will withhold, other times its just poor management that won't link up the knowledge in the organisation.

Many corporate employees spend most of their working day sitting at desk - and therefore have no access to good quality information - therefore spend most of their working life in dark - and end up performing poorly in their roles, and often just give up.

In Many Corporate jobs your not just expected to keep your head down and do your job well - you expected to have an appreciation of the entire company, have a good knowledge of every else's jobs and how it all links together with your job, all the products, the latest developments, and discuss the, all in great depth, all the latest political intrigue - All for a Salary, and many people just have not got the time, patience, or mindset for this.

Last edited by mikeyking; 09-21-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: update

Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Originally Posted by ShellNic
I feel like I need a pill just to come into work...suggestions?

You know, that is just what a lot of people are doing, taking drugs to get through things.

I know I get down, but I am not depressed, I see the world the way it really is, and I don't like it.

I can't distract myself every night with TV. Or as some put it, "I escape..." with a movie, computer games, gambling, casual sex, shopping, vacations.

OMG. It is like Brave New World. I think most people are trapped, but if you talk about this to them, they will look and listen and they will agree with you. I got my doctor to agree with me. I said man isn't made to live like this, that is why there is so much stress. He thought my problems were due to stress, and I agreed with him. But I am not going to take pills to flatten myself out. If things are crappy out there, then they are. And if I feel I don't fit in, and I don't like the system we are in, I don't want to put blinders on.

The safe place to be is in reality, painful or not.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:31 AM

I guess the many of the issues are caused by the "do nothing" style of corporate management, where details are glossed over, problems are brushed under the carpet - the only time a manager becomes concerned about a problem is when he or she is attacked by another manager or their Boss. Where sitting at a superficially talking and discussing things rather than really trying to understand and tackle problems is what happens mostly.

There is a lack of real good managers, who understand the details, want to resolve problems, promote the best - sadly what happens is once a manager moves into a new dept - they are competing against other managers so there job becomes hanging on to their job at all costs - therefore impression management, glossing over problems and denial are the name of the game.

I don't blame the manager - they are trapped in disfunctional systems - and at the end of the day will do what they need to keep themselves in a Job. For them any problems seen in their dept will effect their precious little career - why would they want you to highlight and discuss more issues

Any attempts of whistleblowing, or discussing problems is usually frowned on, and your told to "get your head down", or work harder, or be more proactive - therefore with that in mind perhaps its just best to keep yourself busy for 8 hours a day in work, and not concern yourself too much with problems, even if there stupid inefficent things happening all around you, thats management job to fix that stuff.

Last edited by mikeyking; 09-24-2011 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: update

Old 09-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
What the employer seems to want is the Fake Employee b/c they're "yes" men/women. If all of our offices were efficient and people actually wanted to accomplish something of value, we wouldn't need all these extra people.

In my office, they talk about all this overtime that might be necessary and I think, if you didn't screw around all day, you COULD leave at five and still reach your work goals. My coworker was just told that she needed to "slow down" and "look busy"...even though they're contemplating hiring more temps to get the job done. I feel like I need a pill just to come into work...suggestions?
Corporate types seem to take it as a badge of honour sitting at their desk in silence for hours, or their ability to go to attend meetings - but actually not really speak openly, form consensus on anything, or get around and see what is happening, show any creative thinking - there proof of working is there ability to sit at their desk for long hours.

If you were running your own business, you would not spend all day looking at spreadsheets - Coporate jobs have evolved into "playing the game".

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Imagine what some of those people are like at home. I bet they furnish their homes the way they think others would want them to.

I don't think they own too many of their own thoughts.

They don't value freedom. They care more about approval, status, and money than their own being.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Some people don't give a carp about work. They go to get a paycheck. I think some of you are way over thinking this.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM

75 posts, read 115,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Usually people are complaining about not enough jobs.
And the same people usually don't want to work when they get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment