Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 AM

15,319 posts, read 17,351,658 times

Advertisements

Lowest temperature in the forecast according to the NWS is 1 F. TWC says -7 F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Same here also. Just a boring, cold and nasty extension of winter. We had a severe freaking blizzard on March 31st last year followed by more bloody snow on April fool's day. Yeah, really fooling me. Anyone woulda thunk it were still January.
We've had snowstorms in April too, although they don't happen very often. Last year on April 7th we reached 89 F. Definitely an unpredictable time of year.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,235,346 times
More bittersweet than unhappy. It's 30 degrees and beautiful outside with snow everywhere, but I'm coming back to shorts weather: the high in Mississippi is supposed to be 75 freaking degrees. Gloves to shorts... oh well, at least I've experienced a real winter.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,504,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Lowest temperature in the forecast according to the NWS is 1 F. TWC says -7 F.

We've had snowstorms in April too, although they don't happen very often. Last year on April 7th we reached 89 F. Definitely an unpredictable time of year.

Funny enough I found some old posts I made years ago when I first came to Buxton describing hail and thundersnow on 7th April 2004. Snow is not uncommon in April at all here.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 AM

148 posts, read 326,008 times
I have a cold, you're not meant to have colds in the summer!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,374,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Beware of frostbite; don't sit too close to the A/C vents.
Ohh it's lovely CC .
Don't know how I could cope without A/C during a awful heatwave

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Forecast: 28 C and sunny
Reality: 18 C and overcast

Lovely. Just what we need here atm but no thanks to those awful murdering and suffocating westerlies blowing.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 02-01-2011 at 02:17 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Why is it that those who profess such love for cool, cloudy climates almost invariably reside in warm, sunny ones?
And I could ask you the same in reverse.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Sydney is only moderately warm by world standards, particularly the coastal suburbs.
And invariably most people that live in a place like Sydney CAN'T leave, due to work commitments, and hence spend their entire life there.
Funny that . Moderately warm. Coupled with humidity in the 90s and above 22-23C minimum temperatures. Ohhh please!

I'd LOVE to leave for cloudier, cooler (mininums below 20C every night) and wetter climes but as long as I'm stuck in my job in which nowhere else matches the salary level enabling that I'm stuck in this hell hole.
I absolutely hate Oz's hot, sunny and droughty weather but don't have any choice

Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,676,373 times
When I look at the "mismatches" of climate preferences vs. climate reality that constantly get hammered at on this thread, I feel quite well off - my mismatch is not small by any means, but I'm better adapted to it. I daresay it helps that I spent years in places that were even further out of line for me.

Incidentally - "moderately warm" to describe a place that is only about 2.5C above the global mean is quite reasonable!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,110,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
When I look at the "mismatches" of climate preferences vs. climate reality that constantly get hammered at on this thread, I feel quite well off - my mismatch is not small by any means
You don't say! Don't take this the wrong way, but Wellington is a hellhole (worse than ChCh!) and you're not getting any younger. If I were you I'd be heading to Perth (or wherever suits your preference) post-haste. It's a tragic thing to be stuck in a subarctic dump like Wellington when there are countless warm, sunny climes in the world that would be very hospitable to a man of means, such as yourself (presumably). Family and friends is a flimsy excuse -- frequency of warm, sunny weather trumps every other consideration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Incidentally - "moderately warm" to describe a place that is only about 2.5C above the global mean is quite reasonable!
Bear in mind that our standards of warmth are relative to Western (in the cultural sense, not the literal sense) nations. In other words, countries populated predominately by Caucasians, who generally inhabit the higher latitudes (and have done for most of recorded history). Hence, Westerners would generally regard Paris, Christchurch and Seattle as average; Edmonton, Anchorage and Helsinki as cool; and Seville, Los Angeles and Sydney as warm. Given that the world's population tends to be centered in the tropics and subtropics, the climates we would consider 'warm' would be considered 'average' or even 'cool' by most of the world's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather