Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,671,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Only 5:20PM and pitch black already. Hell. Thank God there are plans to keep BST all year long.
Stupid idea - they tried it before and people didn't like it, else we wouldn't have gone back to what we have now. Having two months of getting up in the dark is bad enough, I don't want four months and 9.07am sunrises! Dark afternoons don't bother me nearly as much, in fact if I'm somewhere cozy i.e. with Christmas lights there's a certain charm to them. One thing I wouldn't mind is putting the clocks forward again once the dark mornings have passed, i.e. mid/late February instead of late March.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,436,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Having two months of getting up in the dark is bad enough, I don't want four months and 9.07am sunrises! Dark afternoons don't bother me nearly as much, in fact if I'm somewhere cozy i.e. with Christmas lights there's a certain charm to them. .
Qualify how it is stupid.

On a personal note anyway I would much rather have the sun rise at 9am and set at more like 5pm than 4pm.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 11-12-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Quote:
Stupid idea - they tried it before and people didn't like it, else we wouldn't have gone back to what we have now. Having two months of getting up in the dark is bad enough, I don't want four months and 9.07am sunrises! Dark afternoons don't bother me nearly as much, in fact if I'm somewhere cozy i.e. with Christmas lights there's a certain charm to them. One thing I wouldn't mind is putting the clocks forward again once the dark mornings have passed, i.e. mid/late February instead of late March.
I would be in favor of year long daylight savings time here; a couple months of waking up in the dark would be fine with me in order to get some late afternoon daylight. Right now the sunset is at 4:30 and sunrise at 6:37.

I was in Amsterdam in January and there were 5 pm sunsets and 9 am sunrise.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Benefits of all year long daylight savings

Conservative estimate of 450,000 tonnes of C02 saved annually

• In Britain 450 serious injuries and 104 deaths annually could be prevented on the roads, saving the NHS £200m a year in treatment costs

• Decrease in crime and greater safety for the elderly

• Average of 55 minutes increase in extra daylight for outdoor activities

• £1bn boost to economy as sightseeing opportunities increase for tourists

• Improved conditions for trade with Europe as clocks synchronise

• Improved safety and productivity on construction sites

• Darker morning for those in far north of UK counterbalanced by more light in early evening – peak period on roads and for energy use

According to
10:10 campaigners push to keep summer time all year round | Environment | The Guardian

Doesn't seem stupid, and it's not stupid just because a few people (in the House of Commons) didn't like it.*

*"The trial was the subject of a House of Commons debate on 2 December 1970[9] when on a free vote, the House of Commons voted to end the experiment by 366 to 81 votes"

Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,245,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would be in favor of year long daylight savings time here; a couple months of waking up in the dark would be fine with me in order to get some late afternoon daylight. Right now the sunset is at 4:30 and sunrise at 6:37.

I'm the opposite. I don't mind waking up before sunrise, but I would prefer having extra daylight in the morning as opposed to evening.

I also simply enjoy dark evenings. I don't like sunshine blasting into the house when I'm eating dinner. Doesn't feel right.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I think the people who like colder miserable weather probably prefer the darker evenings whereas people who like brighter weather prefer it lighter into the evenings. To me the very early dark night is totally depressing, at least in the morning even if dark it is at least in the process of getting brighter.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm the opposite. I don't mind waking up before sunrise, but I would prefer having extra daylight in the morning as opposed to evening.

I also simply enjoy dark evenings. I don't like sunshine blasting into the house when I'm eating dinner. Doesn't feel right.
I get it might be cozy to have dar evenings, but for me it feels like a nuisance, and sometimes depressing. I like the option of being able to be outside after coming back home. I used to have a windowless office, so it would mean rarely seeing daylight on weekdays. Sunlight in the early morning isn't very useful to me, as I'm mostly rushing out the door and don't care if I see daylight.

There are sometimes during the summer I get early enough and go to bed early enough that I never really see night at all. It's a weird feeling.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Qualify how it is stupid.

On a personal note anyway I would much rather have the sun rise at 9am and set at more like 5pm than 4pm.
It's stupid because whatever we do with the clocks at our latitude it will still be getting dark relatively early for months in the winter. See it from the perspective of Mr. Average working his 9-5 job five days a week - as things are now on a December day getting light at 8 and dark at 4:
get up in the dark, go to work in the light, go home in the dark.

With BST all year round and getting light at 9 and dark at 5:
get up in the dark, go to work in the dark, go home in the dark.
The latter would seem more depressing to me. On a normal working day I get home at just after 6pm - it's going to be dark at that time between late October and early February whether we use GMT or BST.

That 366-81 vote in the Commons seems pretty emphatic to be honest, that must be over 80% in favour of keeping things as they are. From a personal point of view I find it very difficult and unnatural to get up when it still looks like the middle of the night outside at 7.30am or so - I have to put the alarm clock on the other side of the room and get out of bed to turn it off, otherwise I'd just turn it off and instantly fall asleep again through it a lot of the time. Being awake when it gets dark by contrast seems perfectly normal, considering I do it probably all but one or two days of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I'd probably be in favour of it if I lived at your latitude and you could get longer evenings without IMO unacceptably dark mornings. Here you have to choose between dark mornings and dark afternoons, and dark afternoons for me are the lesser of two evils.

There are semi-interesting stories somebody once told me why France, Spain and the Benelux countries are on Central European time and not on our Western European time: when it was decided that world time should be based on Greenwich and not somewhere in France, the French did the French thing and changed their clocks in protest against being put on London time and didn't officially recognise GMT for decades afterwards (you've got to love that level of stubbornness though, really!), whereas Spain changed an hour forward in 1940 to be in the same time zone as Germany as a gesture of solidarity from General Franco towards Hitler, meaning that northwestern Spain has some of the latest average sunsets anywhere on Earth (and horrible late 9am winter sunrises). As for Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg, I think they were originally on our time but the Germans put them on German time during one of the world wars (can't remember which one) and they ended up never bothering to change back, but then again they are that bit further east, in terms of solar noon they should be at least a bit ahead of us. Whereas Poland, despite being a long way east thinks it's worth having 3-3.30pm winter sunsets to be in the same time zone as most of the major European countries.

Actually Russia has decided not to put the clocks back for winter time at all this year, and there are a couple of Russian posters on here - any comments on how it's going?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It's stupid because whatever we do with the clocks at our latitude it will still be getting dark relatively early for months in the winter. See it from the perspective of Mr. Average working his 9-5 job five days a week - as things are now on a December day getting light at 8 and dark at 4:
get up in the dark, go to work in the light, go home in the dark.
So it can only be qualified as "stupid" in the eyes of Mr. Joe Average.

Not everybody however has that life style and some people just have different preferences and like it lighter in the evening than getting dark at ridiculous 4 o clock. Guess that makes me stupid then, of the stupid minority. Oh well.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So it can only be qualified as "stupid" in the eyes of Mr. Joe Average.

Not everybody however has that life style and some people just have different preferences and like it lighter in the evening than getting dark at ridiculous 4 o clock. Guess that makes me stupid then 'cause ben86 said so. Oh well.
...and over 80% of our elected representatives when they got a vote on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.