Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,438,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
...and over 80% of our elected representatives when they got a vote on it!
Well it's because everything works around the 9-5 working hours schedule.

If more people had the guts to be self employed and work hours they want it wouldn't matter so much

It's a biological reason why some people feel down when it's dark early in winter and generally too dark at this latitude all day. It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder, which I have a minor version of. For some reason it is always worse in November but by late December I am not so bothered by it, probably because of the whole excitement of Christmas and then the days start getting longer anyway. November just sucks and I always count down the days til it ends every year.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,674,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post

If more people had the guts to be self employed and work hours they want it wouldn't matter so much

It's a biological reason why some people feel down when it's dark early in winter and generally too dark at this latitude all day. It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder, which I have a minor version of. For some reason it is always worse in November but by late December I am not so bothered by it, probably because of the whole excitement of Christmas and then the days start getting longer anyway. November just sucks and I always count down the days til it ends every year.
Are you not still looking into moving to a lower latitude which has the climate you want and no problem with dark, gloomy winters anyway?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Are you not still looking into moving to a lower latitude which has the climate you want and no problem with dark, gloomy winters anyway?
I'd like to do what ColdCanadian is doing, a Working Holiday Visa, but that is only for 12 months. However, it is a good step toward a goal of emigrating out of this miserable climate. It's actually not difficult to do but a matter of planning. This time next year, game on.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,250,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I get it might be cozy to have dar evenings, but for me it feels like a nuisance, and sometimes depressing. I like the option of being able to be outside after coming back home. I used to have a windowless office, so it would mean rarely seeing daylight on weekdays. Sunlight in the early morning isn't very useful to me, as I'm mostly rushing out the door and don't care if I see daylight.

There are sometimes during the summer I get early enough and go to bed early enough that I never really see night at all. It's a weird feeling.
I have more trouble waking up when it's dark out early in the morning. There's much more of a biological need for stimulation in the morning rather than during the afternoon when we've already been awake several hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86
I have to put the alarm clock on the other side of the room and get out of bed to turn it off, otherwise I'd just turn it off and instantly fall asleep again through it a lot of the time. Being awake when it gets dark by contrast seems perfectly normal, considering I do it probably all but one or two days of the year.
Couldn't agree more. I set my radio alarm clock and cell phone alarm in order to make sure I get up in time.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,735,866 times
Quote:

I am surprised by number of people still working ""office hours"" - I thought that went out years ago.
Down here, and I commute to Hunter Valley mine areas every day (not working in the mining industry) at 0530 hours, most people are shift workers.
""Peak hour"" is around 6am.
About 3 years ago the state (NSW) government agreed to extend daylight saving by an extra month - which only benefits those working office hours in Sydney - and was bemoaned by everyone here.
Most office workers are expected to do more than the basic 40 hours a week as well, but that usually is at the back-end of the day.
FWIW I take Melatonin tablets during the winter months to cope with sub-daylight hours.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,631,263 times
Quote:
I'd like to do what ColdCanadian is doing, a Working Holiday Visa, but that is only for 12 months. However, it is a good step toward a goal of emigrating out of this miserable climate. It's actually not difficult to do but a matter of planning. This time next year, game on.
I hope you have a plan, and a job, you can't just emigrate because the weather sucks.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Another day of thick fog and no sunshine.

I actually wouldn't mind a colder day if it meant some SUNSHINE (north winds are often sunnier....) Though I am thankful that this mild means I'm hardly having to use the heating much.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,801,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I hope you have a plan, and a job, you can't just emigrate because the weather sucks.
It worked for me!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,579,667 times
I am very much in favor of DST and absolutely loathe early sunsets (suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder). The day when summer time ends is always one of my most hated days in the whole year. Now it's gonna be hell until mid-Feb when we get post-6 pm sunsets, and it's gonna be really good when we switch back to summer time again. 4 months of hell

That's one of the many things I loved about Singapore when I lived there, that they chose a time zone which acts as a perpetual daylight saving time. Sunsets occur between 6.50 and 7.20 pm all year and that's totally great.

I arrived there last December til May, and never saw a sunset before 7.

Every day, I woke up in the light, went to work in the light, came back from work in the light.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,354,816 times
I, as well as many fellow Sydneysiders, were pretty unhappy, bothered, very tired and miserable in yesterday's (Monday) awful and terrible nor'westerly conditions, temperatures reached 37C in the city & 38 Penrith (outer-western suburb). Geez how I hate that bloody hot and suffocating westerly wind. On my street all dwellings had their windows shut/curtains drawn and westward windows covered in tin foils up in an effort to block out the sun. Shocking to get too much heat at once. Sunday was 26C (), yesterday 37C () and today 24C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.