Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM

497 posts, read 1,091,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I don't like the feeling of bulky covers. It feels like they're crushing me. But come winter I need to have half a dozen duvets just to be able to sleep. I even need to keep my head under the covers since the room temperature is usually about 5 C. I turn the electric blanket off while I sleep during summer but it stays on all night during winter.
5C!. It sounds like your sleeping in a chook house. A cold house must feel like a double sentence when the climate there is too cold for you as it is.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,270,707 times
Happy with the bleak, overcast skies today. Looking quite dark and "gloomy" right now.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,678,367 times
Quote:
I don't like the feeling of bulky covers. It feels like they're crushing me. But come winter I need to have half a dozen duvets just to be able to sleep. I even need to keep my head under the covers since the room temperature is usually about 5 C. I turn the electric blanket off while I sleep during summer but it stays on all night during winter.
Do you not have functioning heat? Or are you trying to save money? 5°C inside sound unbearable.

I've never had a problem sleeping with the windows open with a minimum of 18°C. Even if it's cool outside, the inside is warmer, unless it's been 18°C all day. Usually down to 10°C is ok with a few light covers.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Breaking News- It's just reached 30C (86F)here, which is not something that happens every summer. There will be much merriment and alcohol tonight.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
5C!. It sounds like your sleeping in a chook house. A cold house must feel like a double sentence when the climate there is too cold for you as it is.
It's like trying to sleep as someone stands over you and repeatedly stabs you with a sharp icicle. Not much fun at all.

I hope I die in a horrible car crash before winter rolls around so I won't have to endure those cold nights again.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do you not have functioning heat? Or are you trying to save money? 5°C inside sound unbearable.
I have no heating in my room other than the electric blanket. This is what people from North America don't get. While our winters may be mild compared to the Northern USA and Canada, we don't have such well-insulated houses and affordable power, so it's actually much colder.

Houses here are very poorly insulated and few can afford to heat them. The government is intent on making life as miserable as possible for its citizens. Every day you can turn on the news to see some politician smiling as they gleefully describe the latest tax hike (sales taxes and our emissions trading scheme serve to inflate power bills). Winters didn't used to be so bad back in the day (although they were very smoggy), but then the council banned open fires due to concerns over smog, so I've been shivering through every winter since. The heat pump is totally ineffective!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,266,938 times
I am not sure whether to post this in the Happy Thread or the Unhappy Thread. Probably more the Amazing Thread/Astonishment Thread.

Currently as I type it is almost 10pm.

It is 29.1C (84.3F) with high humidity. Cannot remember for a long time experiencing this degree of night heat (maybe when I was in Key West in Aug 1997). Phew! Time for a cold shower and thankfully we have air conditioning...!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I have no heating in my room other than the electric blanket. This is what people from North America don't get. While our winters may be mild compared to the Northern USA and Canada, we don't have such well-insulated houses and affordable power, so it's actually much colder.

Houses here are very poorly insulated and few can afford to heat them. The government is intent on making life as miserable as possible for its citizens. Every day you can turn on the news to see some politician smiling as they gleefully describe the latest tax hike (sales taxes and our emissions trading scheme serve to inflate power bills). Winters didn't used to be so bad back in the day (although they were very smoggy), but then the council banned open fires due to concerns over smog, so I've been shivering through every winter since. The heat pump is totally ineffective!

I don't have heating in my bedroom...nor do I want it. The heating downstairs and woodstove is enough to make my room comfortable as long as I leave my door open all day. If I close it all night, it can get uncomfortably cold (50 F ?). There's one room in my house that has absolutely no insulation and is easily in the 40s. Certainly not an energy efficient home, although probably better than yours considering how much colder our winters are. I'm not an environment nut, but I hate to think of all the energy being wasted.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 AM

I thought the laundry in our house was bad because it can get down to 15C on the coldest nights. It's possibly warmer than half the bedrooms in this country.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Another lovely day with the sleet, ice, and cloudcover. Ice wasn't severe enough to destroy everything, but enough to make it look nice on the trees. Now some fog rolling in with the possiblity of rain or snow showers later this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather