Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 05:42 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,356,115 times

Advertisements

Yup, sadly the vegetation in most of Argentina is ugly af, even in the wetter parts. But the jacarandas and the palmeras all over Buenos Aires are a testament that you can grow a lot of things there. But the worst vegetation that I've seen in South America was easily in Lima, everything looks gray and dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,929,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Who knows when another 2007 will happen again? look that LOL :

Synop report summary

The vegetation of central Argentina isnt great,i've seen in street view and the native trees there are quite ugly,most of them are medium sized deciduous shrubs,maybe due to the dry climate there,the only tree I like there is the humboldt willow due to it golden autumn colour.
Dry climate in the Pampas? really

Indeed, in the Pampas the thing is that there are almost no native trees, but the bush-tree Ombu is very picturesque aswell as the Pampas Grass, used around the world as ornamental grass, and well, Argentina as a whole, despite of what the annoying chilean or mexican troll faking US persona says below, is plenty of beautiful trees from north to south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yup, sadly the vegetation in most of Argentina is ugly af, even in the wetter parts. But the jacarandas and the palmeras all over Buenos Aires are a testament that you can grow a lot of things there. But the worst vegetation that I've seen in South America was easily in Lima, everything looks gray and dead
Nice trolling, keep trying bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
A torch in the pampas

On a sidenote, Bahia Blanca, at the same latitude as Washington DC, averages 14/3 in the coldest month, while Washington DC is at 6/-2. Puerto Madryn is at the same latitude as Buffalo, and averages 13/2, while Buffalo is at 0/-8. Comodoro Rivadavia averages 11/3 in the coldest month. Quebec City at the same latitude is -8/-18. Let's also not forget that the North American cities use 80-10 normals, Southern Cone use the outdated 60-90 normals, this says all you need to know about the state of North American climate
North of Rio Grande, if you're a mexican troll
Uh, and we're enough of your steady and off topic "sidenotes", so i reported it to the mods to take care

Old 01-21-2017, 07:05 PM

Back on topic, two records broken in the region yesterday. First, Mendoza with a min of 27.5ºC, then Santiago with a max of 37.7ºC
And the heat continues today. Santa Rosa, La Pampa Province, was the station hottest today, reached 43.3ºC.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,011,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Dry climate in the Pampas? really

Indeed, in the Pampas the thing is that there are almost no native trees, but the bush-tree Ombu is very picturesque aswell as the Pampas Grass, used around the world as ornamental grass, and well, Argentina as a whole, despite of what the annoying chilean or mexican troll faking US persona says below, is plenty of beautiful trees from north to south.

:
For dry climate in the Pampas I mean its southern and Southwestern region(La Pampa province for example), I looked in street view and most of trees there is deciduous, most of them is Caldén, and others prosopis species, you can see it here :

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-36....2!8i6656?hl=en

I guess this Ombu would not survive there,since during cold waves temperatures can get below -10C.

---------------------

Quote:
Back on topic, two records broken in the region yesterday. First, Mendoza with a min of 27.5ºC, then Santiago with a max of 37.7ºC
And the heat continues today. Santa Rosa, La Pampa Province, was the station hottest today, reached 43.3ºC.
Interesting temperatures,but still lower than I trought,I remember Gfs showing 53C in some random run,crazy.

Last edited by ghost-likin; 01-21-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
For dry climate in the Pampas I mean its southern and Southwestern region(La Pampa province for example), I looked in street view and most of trees there is deciduous, most of them is Caldén, and others prosopis species, you can see it here :

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-36....2!8i6656?hl=en

I guess this Ombu would not survive there,since during cold waves temperatures can get below -10C.
Well, the east side of La Pampa, where Calden grows, still hasn't a dry climate. And thanks to remind me of the Calden, another beautiful medium to small tree especially during summer, our national version of those typical african savanna trees

Africa:

Southamerica:

Old 01-21-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Next two days of hot weather before a great cool down with lows below 10C in some places,and then another hot wave will push temps back to 40C.
Nexts 10 days will be wild for the South Cone.

Also,Gfs is showing something very strong late this month :

Old 01-22-2017, 07:36 AM

678 posts, read 1,207,640 times
GFS is way out on that one.

It's been the worst weather model to rely on. European model is a better one.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:01 PM

We had the warmest temperature of the year yesterday, with a high of 32.8C.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,759,861 times
Had around 37C here in rural Victoria yesterday- warm as Bro.

I flew out of NZ on Saturday, and it just happened to be the coldest summer day in Motueka for for a number of years. With 12.2C/16.6C. Also had 131mms of rain, and very windy so quite grim. Sounds like I've taken a bit of a financial hit, with the wind damaging my tamarillo crop- not cool.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,968,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Had around 37C here in rural Victoria yesterday- warm as Bro.

I flew out of NZ on Saturday, and it just happened to be the coldest summer day in Motueka for for a number of years. With 12.2C/16.6C. Also had 131mms of rain, and very windy so quite grim. Sounds like I've taken a bit of a financial hit, with the wind damaging my tamarillo crop- not cool.
How the hell did you get 131mm of rain in one day? That must be rare.

And it was the same temperature in the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather