Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 01:18 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,521 times

Advertisements

an inch of snow causes 2 hour school delays in northern VA. 1-3 feet will probably shut everything down until Monday or Tuesday. depending on if we get freezing rain post snow. Old town alexandriva will probably flood from all the snow melting.

in an area where we have folks who have never seen snow, and snow driving vets its going to be a cluster...fudge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
26.7 inches in Clarksburg,WV would paralyze the town. 25" in the mountains of Tucker co WV, Somerset Co PA, and Garett co, MD is just another storm.
And imagine the winds and blowing snow. Crews will have a hard time keeping roads cleared. That is a lot of snow in just 24-36hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't bother check the forecast too carefully since I knew it would change once new data came in after the Pacific storm made landfall, will watch later this afternoon..
Smart.. Yeah, more fun to follow the model trends and changes then start looking at the forecasts like 2-3 days out. BTW .. I know Bernie has a new video out this afternoon.. Have to find time to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles2000 View Post
Any new updates for Pa
I'll have more time later. I personally think Northern and Western PA its not their storm. Little snow, no big deal. Southern and SouthEastern another story

Old 01-20-2016, 01:32 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
INSANE! I don't remember seeing this type of snow total forecast map that far south. WTF!

"Snowmageddon" Part II?

This is widespread. Crazy

https://twitter.com/markellinwood/st...823488/photo/1

Snowmageddon Feb 5-6, 2010

Old 01-20-2016, 01:35 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
an inch of snow causes 2 hour school delays in northern VA. 1-3 feet will probably shut everything down until Monday or Tuesday. depending on if we get freezing rain post snow. Old town alexandriva will probably flood from all the snow melting.

in an area where we have folks who have never seen snow, and snow driving vets its going to be a cluster...fudge.
Honestly, they would probably close for a week. I have several friends who live in NOVA who are transplants from Westchester County, NY and southwest CT and they always talk about how quick as it may be to close schools where they are from it's a lot quicker there. One of these friends complained that this week they had a delayed opening and a closure the next day because of COLD and it was cold similar to what we had up here which was basically temps in the teens with a near zero wind chill. Yes that was cold but not dangerously historic, even for them (DC is about as much warmer vs NYC as NYC is to Boston, which is only a little bit of difference between them all like a couple of degrees on the averages)

But I wouldn't call that an area where folks have never seen snow the average is about 15" per year, comparable to southernmost NJ. I would say North Carolina might be the northern boundary for that sort of thing on the east coast (more likely South Carolina).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-20-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM

we'll get the 1996 snow, but we most definitely are not getting the damage it left after.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Honestly, they would probably close for a week. I have several friends who live down there who are transplants from Westchester County, NY and southwest CT and they always talk about how quick as it may be to close schools where they are from it's a lot quicker there. One of these friends complained that they this week they had a delayed opening and a closure the next day because of COLD and it was cold similar to what we had up here which was basically temps in the teens with a near zero wind chill. Yes that was cold but not dangerously historic, even for them (DC is about as much warmer as NYC as NYC is to Boston, which is only a little bit of difference)

But I wouldn't call that an area where folks have never seen snow the average is about 15" per year, comparable to southernmost NJ. I would say North Carolina might be the northern boundary for that sort of thing on the east coast (more likely South Carolina).

given its a weekend snow, id say schools closed Monday-Thursday max. they just need time to plow and clear areas where kids are and I suspect sometime soon we'll get a 60 degree day again.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
well here's the Daily Mail take on the storm

'Storm of a lifetime': Fierce blizzard unlike any seen for 20 YEARS is hurtling towards East Coast to blanket entire region with as much as two feet of snow | Daily Mail Online

'Storm of a lifetime': Fierce blizzard unlike any seen for 20 YEARS is hurtling towards East Coast to blanket entire region with as much as two feet of snow

the NY Daily News is rather sedate in comparison. But NYC will miss the heaviest snowfall:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2503579

Old 01-20-2016, 01:54 PM

267 posts, read 352,397 times

Well they've updated this thru Saturday 7pm. I'm wondering how much into the night the snow will continue to fall. 6-8 could very well become a foot i'm guessing

Old 01-20-2016, 02:07 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
26.7 inches in Clarksburg,WV would paralyze the town. 25" in the mountains of Tucker co WV, Somerset Co PA, and Garett co, MD is just another storm.
The eastern panhandle seems to be in the bulls eye again. I remember that crazy event in February 2010 when Martinsburg got something like 50" in a week.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
They are predicting 6 inches for my location but 9+ just 50 miles to the east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather