Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times

Advertisements

This is sooo exciting!! Everybody at work, long time residents of South central PA, are not taking this seriously. They feel it is just over hype and that we will probably only get an inch or so, much to do about nothing. Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Do you guys remember Feb 6, 2010?

Same exact senario. Tight gradient and wondering how far north the storm would push... And I remember SWCT forecasted to get 6"... we got nothing!! It was crazy watching the radar.

All the snow stayed south of me. Storm never moved north in fact jogged a bit south more.

DeJaVu or maybe not this time?? That was also an ElNino year btw.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Same exact senario. Tight gradient and wondering how far north the storm would push... And I remember SWCT forecasted to get 6"... we got nothing!! It was crazy watching the radar.

All the snow stayed south of me. Storm never moved north in fact jogged a bit south more.

That year was epic! By far my the best of the last decade here. All winter months were far below normal and summer was abound with robust storms. About as good as it gets in my climate.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
That year was epic! By far my the best of the last decade here. All winter months were far below normal and summer was abound with robust storms. About as good as it gets in my climate.
I remember that winter so clearly as it was super unusual and COLD for us in South Florida. I remember two days that didn't make it out of the 40s for daytime highs which is almost unheard of, at least in recent yrs. We had nights around freezing, freezing temps west of I-75. In fact, all of the iguanas froze to death and you'd see them lying dead all over the place. I think central Fla got snow.

That following summer, in August, our house took a direct hit from the "Tamarac tornado". It was rated F1. It did minor damage to my house, although it scared the heck out me as I hunkered down in the bathtub while my ears popped from the low pressure. It ripped my next door neighbor's roof off and smashed two windows.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Will never forget that day. South suburbs of Pittsburgh were forecasted 2-4", and I got 27" in my yard.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 PM

Seeing so many empty shelves posts. Bread, milk, water.

power could be out for days maybe week for some? Figure where the heavy snow & wind will be is the biggest power outage threat I guess

NWS Snow total forecast. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gis/images/MA_Snow.png

Wind gust forecast.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gis/images/MA_WGust.png

Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I remember that winter so clearly as it was super unusual and COLD for us in South Florida. I remember two days that didn't make it out of the 40s for daytime highs which is almost unheard of, at least in recent yrs. We had nights around freezing, freezing temps west of I-75. In fact, all of the iguanas froze to death and you'd see them lying dead all over the place. I think central Fla got snow.

That following summer, in August, our house took a direct hit from the "Tamarac tornado". It was rated F1. It did minor damage to my house, although it scared the heck out me as I hunkered down in the bathtub while my ears popped from the low pressure. It ripped my next door neighbor's roof off and smashed two windows.
Well, technically only one day didn't make it out of the 40's here. That being Jan 10, 2010 when the high was 48F at the Airport. On Jan 9 the high was something like 59F at midnight before temps dropped to around 40F the rest of the day with light rain. The iguanas falling was definatly something to see! You could walk down the street and literally see dozena of them lying on the pavement.

I noticed your current location is in PA. Did you move?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
I think people are downplaying the potential severe t-storm threat with this storm's warm sector. I have a feeling things will be getting ugly down here Friday afternoon.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I think people are downplaying the potential severe t-storm threat with this storm's warm sector. I have a feeling things will be getting ugly down here Friday afternoon.
Here's how Accuweather shows the timing of the severe threat.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 PM

NAM00z has come north!

GFS00z next
Canadian right after
Euro00z at 1am

Not staying up for them but we have to see if this is a new trend back north or NAM being NAM.

Atlantic City back to close to getting screwed but NW NJ back "in the zone". Nei gets a little action from the NAM.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-20-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather