Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 02:41 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times

Advertisements

I'd like to sound off a pre-emptive Merry Christmas to all of us participants in the weather forum. Let's hope everyone will have as happy and merry a Christmas as the gap between your desired weather pattern and what you're actually experiencing permits; let's also hope Santa Claus comes through for everyone tonight .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here we go? Winter is that you? COME ON DOWN!

https://twitter.com/DanLeonard_wx/st...15595638718465

Alan "@DanLeonard_wx Does that positive anomnaly in AK/NW Canadain trend east again in future runs though? Thats the question."

Dan "@RaleighWx Right. I think as long as heights stay high over AK/GOA we should be ok. Better than it has been?"
The cold trough, now that its whims favor cooperation, will crush the SE Ridge like a bug on its first pass through - why couldn't it have done that a few weeks ago? At least the eastern U.S. wouldn't have had their Christmas ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Winter 2015-2016 is fully underway in the Northeastern United States...
"Winter" in American English is code for "Mud Season" in correct English - once you know that everything else makes sense .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post
Long-time lurker here at the Weather forum, but I have rarely posted. I enjoy reading what all of you post here, as an avid weather buff, and I thought I'd weigh in and post a few contributions. Shout out to Cambium and Patricius Maximus; two of my favorites!

I'm posting from southeast Alabama, USA; latitude 31.32 N. (Dothan area). Like much of the Eastern U.S., we are suffering through this blowtorch December as well. (I'm a coldie - and yes, I realize that this opinion isn't shared by many in my part of the world. So naturally, I've been miserable). Not even in my most pessimistic outlook could I have predicted this lost cause of a Christmas season. It has been depressing.
Thanks for the compliment, and it must be even more depressing in the South this Christmas season than it usually is. In my more closed-minded days, given the meteorological poverty inherent in southern climate I find it hard to imagine why anyone would ever want to live anywhere warmer than the Lower Peninsula. On the other hand, overpopulation in stinky and draining climates means more room available for each one of us in healthful and stimulating climes .

Back here in reality climate doesn't have much to do with where population ends up, since most people will tolerate almost any climate given other advantages (jobs, retirement facilities, other amenities). Rural and pre-modern population is heavily influenced by the land's agricultural capacity; this is determined by what kind of soil and climate the crops you've domesticated like (can be almost anything), along with the state of agricultural technology and the disease burden of the area. Urban and modern population is heavily influenced by economic productivity; geographical factors in this are access to natural resources* and proximity to transport networks (which usually connected existing population concentrations). Water transportation was dominant until the 19th century, which is why most of our cities are low-lying and close to water; in the 19th century it was railroads (this helped cities like Omaha, KC, Chicago), and in modern times freeways and airports (this helped the edge cities and the Florida cities). Inertia keeps most of the population on the river and sea cities to this day.

*This matters more than you might think if you channel resource wealth to urban development, as the oil-rich UAE can attest to, though mere access falling short of possession or even proximity suffices, as resource-poor Japan demonstrates. Proximity is what really helps; globally, the traditionally most-developed regions are generally coal-rich, and the Great Lakes area got as intensely developed as it did because it is a transport network with iron and coal (two critical resources for early industrialization) nearby. Of course there is also a certain randomness to population due to other factors than what I outline here. Behind these factors are alternative histories screaming to get out, some of which increase the share of population in northerly regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Yeah, this weather is bull****. This past weekend had perfect weather for Christmastime, but it was too brief. Now we'll have to wait until New Year's Eve for proper weather again.

If this was July, the East Coast and the Deep South would probably have temperatures in the 100s.
A pattern like this is driven, in addition to the SE Ridge, the pressure systems pumping north so much heat in successive warm surges. In summer such a pattern wouldn't admit any fronts anywhere near those areas. Of course temperatures would hang around 100F in those areas for a week or more at a stretch as they usually do in big heat waves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Here we go again with the clouds, and showers, and dampness though very mild. I forget what the sun looks like. This so reminds me of last years Christmas. Just doesn't feel right on Christmas Eve. Don't like it.

I want it to end now. It is winter, and I want closer to our avg winter temps. I didn't go and buy cool new gloves for nothing. Seriously though, I just don't like the warm gloom in winter with constant showers. I now am longing for some mildly Arctic air with clear crisp nights and sunny days with high temps around 40F. Would be perfect right about now. And I am heartened by the Euro early Jan model runs. They look much closer to average.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:25 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,356,584 times
78F at 4 PM and dewpoint of 72F. This would tie the daily record high for Christmas Eve set in 1933.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Dewpoint at 60°F on Long Island, noticeable. Have felt that since maybe early November

Old 12-24-2015, 05:08 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,849,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I'm going to be doing a report tonight to see if:

Any New England cities/towns managed to reach 70 F.
Any Florida cities/towns managed to reach 90 F.
Well, here are my results so far according to Wunderground.com-

Massachusetts: Norwood, Beverly, Fitchburg and North Adams all hit 70 F.
Vermont: Bennington hit 70 F.
New Hampshire: None, highest was 69 F in Nashua.
Connecticut: None, highest was 69 F in Danbury.
Rhode Island: None, highest was 69 F in Providence.

As for Florida, there were no areas that hit 90 F today. Highest was 88 F in Naples.

Edit: I wonder if any of these will be revised in the near future.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:19 PM

269 posts, read 237,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post

I'm posting from southeast Alabama, USA; latitude 31.32 N. (Dothan area). Like much of the Eastern U.S., we are suffering through this blowtorch December as well. (I'm a coldie - and yes, I realize that this opinion isn't shared by many in my part of the world. So naturally, I've been miserable). Not even in my most pessimistic outlook could I have predicted this lost cause of a Christmas season. It has been depressing.
I am also near Dothan, but I don't mind the warmth. I would like some colder weather eventually, but it doesn't take long for me to get tired of it. It would be nice if we got an occasional snowfall though...

P.S. Is this the first -70F of the season in the NH? Weather History for Ikki-Ambar|Mapshalskiy Mine, #HISTORY.statename | Weather Underground

Old 12-24-2015, 06:35 PM

83,538 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Well, here are my results so far according to Wunderground.com-

Massachusetts: Norwood, Beverly, Fitchburg and North Adams all hit 70 F.
Vermont: Bennington hit 70 F.
New Hampshire: None, highest was 69 F in Nashua.
Connecticut: None, highest was 69 F in Danbury.
Rhode Island: None, highest was 69 F in Providence.

As for Florida, there were no areas that hit 90 F today. Highest was 88 F in Naples.

Edit: I wonder if any of these will be revised in the near future.
Nice summary. At a party. Use these links for max/min temps.

Scroll down. Last map.
ObsMaps

Or this.. change state abbreviation in link for other states. Sorted by max.
IEM :: CT_ASOS Current Conditions

Post some maps so we have on file. (Dont hot link!)
Oh... yeah.. this weather is disgusting. End of post

Old 12-24-2015, 06:37 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Here we go again with the clouds, and showers, and dampness though very mild. I forget what the sun looks like. This so reminds me of last years Christmas. Just doesn't feel right on Christmas Eve. Don't like it.

I want it to end now. It is winter, and I want closer to our avg winter temps. I didn't go and buy cool new gloves for nothing. Seriously though, I just don't like the warm gloom in winter with constant showers. I now am longing for some mildly Arctic air with clear crisp nights and sunny days with high temps around 40F. Would be perfect right about now. And I am heartened by the Euro early Jan model runs. They look much closer to average.
I thought you would've liked the mild weather. My only gripe is the clouds and rain, some sunshine would make these temperatures much more enjoyable. I'm still taking whatever warmth I get, even if we remain mild through the entire winter, it won't be as warm as this December has been.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,636,351 times
As of today average temperature in Chicago is 40.4F officially at ORD making it 5th mildest on record since 1870, and warmest since 1923. That's saying a lot since alk the warmest December months were recorded when the official site was on the lakeshore, thus skewing the mean temps. For example, Northerly Island has an average low of 24.9F, and ORD has a low of 20.7F (1981-2010).

Midway has an average of 42.7F to date blowing away any month on record at that site since 1928!

Old 12-25-2015, 04:58 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,625 times
Merry Christmas, everyone.

I'll have a merry one...even if the weather is going to suck again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather