Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times

Advertisements

Coldest it's been in Indianapolis area this winter is 7 below zero Fahrenheit; this has been some sh**tty winter here, Chicago has lucked out with heavy snow and their winter minimum so far this winter has been a whopping 1 or 2 degrees F colder than Indianapolis I want snow now, this winter in the circle city has been a cross of the winter 2011-2012, and 2013-2014 up to this point which in my opinion is the worst of both worlds. In all honesty, I know of people who have borderline hardy plants in the Indianapolis area, and I hope they survive the winter weather this year in uninsulated soils(the lack of snow means a lack of natural insulation from extreme cold temperatures). I also realize that based on historical backtracking, that winter weather can and does linger well into March some years and even into April on Rare Occasions, so I haven't given up all hope of seeing a decent snowfall(more than 4 Inches, just for the sake of having a reasonable expectation), but this winter truly has been a miserable one for me cause I like the snow is supposed to come with the cold, in regards to how cold it will get in Indianapolis and its surrounding suburbs with this arctic outbreak, the actual low temperatures versus those which are currently forecast remains to be seen and time will tell if this is one of those years where the coldest temperatures(worst) of winter is saved for February rather than the Usual in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM

269 posts, read 237,796 times
I'm curious, has the coldest weather of the season fallen outside of meteorological winter before? I imagine it has, but I wonder how many times it has happened.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
I'm curious, has the coldest weather of the season fallen outside of meteorological winter before? I imagine it has, but I wonder how many times it has happened.
March 1980 for many

Old 02-10-2015, 07:48 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
The coldest of winter usually occurs in mid to late January though it arrived earlier than normal this winter as well as last winter in indianapolis where I am living. The lowest temperature on record outside of meteorological winter in indianapolis occurred in 1980 in early March, when the low temperature was a frigid 7 below zero. The latest subzero temperature on modern record was set on March 12th, 1948 with a low of 5 below zero in indianapolis, indiana.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Definitely not here. Usually January.

From nws NY. Will NYC hit the big 0F?. I'm assuming I will get below.

THE BIGGEST ISSUE TO DEAL WITH OVER THIS TIME-FRAME WILL BE THE
VERY COLD TEMPERATURES...WITH TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM
15 TO 25 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL FROM FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY. DURING
THIS TIME...EVEN THE WARMER AREAS IN AND AROUND NEW YORK CITY WILL
STRUGGLE TO REACH 20 DEGREES AND OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL LIKELY DIP
INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS EACH NIGHT OVER THE WEEKEND IN THE
CITY...AND LIKELY DROP TO AT OR BELOW ZERO OUTSIDE OF THE CITY
THIS... COMBINED WITH PREDOMINANTLY WINDY CONDITIONS WILL RESULT
IN DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS BOTH SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
NIGHTS...WITH WIND CHILLS OF 10 TO 20 BELOW ZERO. WE WILL NOT
START TO MODERATE UNTIL MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT AS THE WINDS START
TO SHIFT TO THE SOUTHWEST.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Yay, at least Atlanta will stay below freezing on Sunday. No southerner couple celebrating valentines day will be outside ( women down here are such wussies when it comes to cold tolerance ).

Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
From North Pole to Atlanta.

https://twitter.com/matt_wimberly/st...48771782213632

Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
https://twitter.com/WSI_Energy/statu...98260340412416

Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:
In early March 2014, Baltimore had a pretty insane (but brief) cold snap where they hit 3F and broke the record low for the month. Dulles (in DC) hit -1F, the coldest all year:

https://weatherspark.com/history/305...-United-States
https://weatherspark.com/history/298...-United-States

March was very cold in Northern New England, where VT and Northeast NY state had one of the coldest winters on record. Saranac Lake had lower average low temps in March than in Jan in Feb, and similar avg overall temps.

https://weatherspark.com/history/316...-United-States

And of course, one simply cannot forget that incredible performance by Casper, WY in mid November when the temp plummeted to a whopping -27F (-33C) on consecutive nights, massacring the old monthly record of -21F (-29C):

https://weatherspark.com/history/299...-United-States

So yes, it happens. It depends where you look though.

Last edited by Shalop; 02-10-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
From nws NY. Will NYC hit the big 0F?. I'm assuming I will get below.
North and west of the city definitely will.
The inner city and LI probably won't.

NWS and WU are both saying -2F for my area. But it hasn't happened in 30 years (let alone in February!), which is why I'm kinda doubtful. Record low for Feb is 1F (I sound like a broken record! ).

Last edited by Shalop; 02-10-2015 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather