Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 12:30 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

80s to frost.
Dry front
Can't even get rain from a thunderstorm
Downslope flow off mountains with 850s at 15C dropping to 1C

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
159 PM EDT TUE MAY 12 2015

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
HAVE REMOVED MENTION OF CONVECTION FROM FORECAST FOR THE REST OF
THIS AFTERNOON. ENOUGH DRY AIR IN THE MIXED LAYER
AND WEAK FORCING
TO KEEP THIS ISOLATED AT BEST.

WITH PARTLY CLOUDY CONDS...850MB TEMPS AVERAGING AROUND 15C...AND A
GOOD DOWNSLOPING COMPONENT
...HIGHS IN THE LOWER AND MID 80S FOR
SEVERAL AREAS.

COOLER FOR EASTERN LI AND COASTAL SE CT WHERE THERE
WILL BE MORE EXPOSURE TO WINDS ARRIVING OFF THE WATERS
...AND SOME 90
DEGREE READINGS FOR SPOTS IN NE NJ AND ADJACENT AREAS OF THE LOWER
HUDSON VALLEY.

HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS ON WEDNESDAY. A SURFACE TROUGH AND SOME MID
LEVEL MOISTURE SHIFT THROUGH...BUT NO RAIN EXPECTED...JUST PARTLY
CLOUDY. SIDED WITH THE COOLER MAV MOS FOR HIGH TEMPS AS 850 TEMPS
FALL TO AROUND 1C. RED FLAG CRITERIA COULD BE MET
FOR PARTS OF THE
CITY AND ADJACENT AREAS DURING THE AFTERNOON. WILL NEED TO KEEP AN
EYE ON THIS.

CHILLY CONDITIONS WED NIGHT AS HIGH BUILDS IN FROM WEST. PATCHY
FROST POSSIBLE ACROSS INTERIOR LOWER HUD AND SOUTHERN CT AS WELL AS PINE BARRENS OF LI
IF WINDS DECOUPLE QUICK ENOUGH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Just getting torched here once again. Watering garden and A/C kicking on like its July.

Good news... Relief from Summer is coming.
Bad news, it's a Dry Cold front.

Practically no rain on the map currently but I see the front! 2pm and in the 50s and 60s in Ohio. OMG that sounds good. It's MAY for crying out loud.

If this setup keeps happening, expect long duration heat waves and triple digit readings in the East up to New England (if the Jet Stream does peak as high as it did)

Dewpoints in the 70s in Eastern North Carolina. heat Indexes in the 90s in NC

Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
rain depends on model:

SUNDAY AND MONDAY...THIS PORTION OF THE FORECAST WILL LARGELY DEPEND
ON THE AMPLIFICATION OF THE UPPER RIDGE. AS STATED ABOVE...THE
ECMWF AMPLIFIES THE RIDGE MORE THAN THE GFS WHICH WOULD LIMIT
SHOWERS TO THE FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY PERIOD. HOWEVER...IF THE
WEAKER RIDGE PER THE GFS VERIFIES...STORMY WEATHER COULD CONTINUE
THROUGH THE WEEKEND AND IN TO EARLY NEXT WEEK.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I will repeat... if this setup keeps happening, expect long duration heat waves and triple digit readings in the East up to New England (if the Jet Stream does peak as high as it did)
Maybe this setup could only last 1-2 months, so "peak" summer won't have these heat waves.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just getting torched here once again. Watering garden and A/C kicking on like its July.

Good news... Relief from Summer is coming.
Bad news, it's a Dry Cold front.

Practically no rain on the map currently but I see the front! 2pm and in the 50s and 60s in Ohio. OMG that sounds good. It's MAY for crying out loud.

If this setup keeps happening, expect long duration heat waves and triple digit readings in the East up to New England (if the Jet Stream does peak as high as it did)

Dewpoints in the 70s in Eastern North Carolina. heat Indexes in the 90s in NC

This is the worst set up for summer. A dry hot summer would be as bad for me as the last winter. We need rains. I hope this pattern falls apart very quickly. Typical of this climate that we went from a March like we had to this heat this early in May with little rain. Crap.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe this setup could only last 1-2 months, so "peak" summer won't have these heat waves.
I see a lot of 3-5 day ups & downs in the mid & long range and not consistent like we just had for 2 weeks. The down days aren't well below normal and the up days are just looking so warm for the time of year that if it does last next 1-3 months, it will be "one of those" summers.. Lets hope it doesn't last "all" summer.

But next month is June and heat waves do happen in June. 2012 & 2013 we had it.

To me this is not looking like last year AT ALL. Very different setups happening. But we all know weather and patterns can change fast. Lets see.

14 of last 15 days have been above normal. 9 of them were +11° or warmer above normal max. Last 3 days 18+ above normal.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
A dry hot summer would be as bad for me as the last winter. We need rains.
That's one thing we can agree on. But is it really possible in this region to have prolonged hot AND wet weather like Florida? What pattern provides the best of both worlds?

Old 05-12-2015, 01:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
That's one thing we can agree on. But is it really possible in this region to have prolonged hot AND wet weather like Florida? What pattern provides the best of both worlds?

I don't want hot weather. I want average summer weather with thunderstorms.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I don't want hot weather. I want average summer weather with thunderstorms.
Is there any setup that would bring both above average temperatures and above average rainfall to Kentucky throughout summer? Is it always a trade-off?

Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
is it really possible in this region to have prolonged hot AND wet weather like Florida? What pattern provides the best of both worlds?
I just checked Lexingtons Top 20 and you're right. No years were a match. Top 20 wet was not in the Top 20 warmest.

Wonder what years were very wet and hot now. Sometimes it's luck getting things to happen. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather